It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Color Images from Mars Rovers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I have only one question..............why?............why would NASA or anyone else change the colour of a planet? what do they have to gain from it?

OK.. hide the anomalies or whatever, but what is the point of altering the colour or make-up of a planet?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Everyone is pointing the finger at the wrong organization. NASA is a puppet for the people who give them funding, and sign their paychecks. Therefore, they do as they are told. No more. No less.

Why would they lie? Because they have to keep covering up the last set of lies they told. And the set before that. It's a never ending cycle. The truth is the last thing you can expect from anyone connected with any government anywhere. You'll get the truth when it no longer matters.

Good stuff Zorgon.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
besides the screwed up color and crappy cams,

why don't they have ir or night vision too?

one would think ir would be useful.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'll admit that this is the first post I've seen from the fellow posting these images. That being the case I'm somewhat at a loss to understand what the man is trying to prove. I find that too many people blog posting write as if everyone who see a particular post is going to understand it. Without come explanation or context, a post like this amounts to some pictures. What their meaning may be escapes me. Is he trying to suggest that NASA's Martian pictures are fakes or that they are trying to obscure the true nature of what has been photographed. It would be nice if people actually explained the point of their post rather than presuming everyone is simply going to know what they are talking about.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'll admit that this is the first post I've seen from the fellow posting these images. That being the case I'm somewhat at a loss to understand what the man is trying to prove. I find that too many people blog posting write as if everyone who see a particular post is going to understand it. Without come explanation or context, a post like this amounts to some pictures. What their meaning may be escapes me. Is he trying to suggest that NASA's Martian pictures are fakes or that they are trying to obscure the true nature of what has been photographed. It would be nice if people actually explained the point of their post rather than presuming everyone is simply going to know what they are talking about.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Nasa has been lying to us for to long...their purpose is clear.Keep us ignorant of the realities around us so the elite can control us like ants...well, their freaking game is over!
Watch the sky colour of these pictures..blue!! that means atmosphere! J. Lear and others has been saying this for some time, and they were right!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Very interresting thread, there is no doubt in my mind that nasa have been telling lies to the public for years. Wont surprise me one bit that mars actually have a blue sky. I wonder why nasa is playing the games they are, leads one to think they are hiding something. In general Americas goverment has a long line of lies being told to the public, anything is possible in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
One thing to say.

The reason why Earth's atmosphere is blue is due to huge amount of oceans we have. IF Earth didn't have Oceans, then our atmosphere would be the colour of whatever mainly whatever is most common, so jsut say for instance... sandy coulour?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Obviously we're supposed to believe the planet is a red, lifeless rock. Probably because this is where "they're" going if SHTF. So. . .there's a "Space Ark", and a certain number of people "eligible" for a mass evacuation will get in it, and go to Mars, which is probably already semi-populated by humans.

And so, perhaps the biggest conspiracy of all is that we're going to move back to the rock we supposedly left after somehow destroying the atmosphere of Mars.

Global Warming at its best!

jra

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Also does anyone see on the Earth telescope pic above a few posts, showing the entire planet of Mars, it shows a BLUE Atmosphere all around the edges.

Jackpot!

Mars has a blue atmosphere. That screams Oxygen to me!

Why oxygen specifically? Our atmosphere is mostly nitrogen. Our sky is blue not because of oxygen, but simply because we have an atmosphere and blue light easily scattered when it passes through a medium. Mars' atmosphere is also blue (probably a dark blue due to how thin it is), no scientist (NASA or otherwise) would deny this, but due to the large, global dust storms that happen every so often, I would imagine that Mars' atmosphere is rarely ever completely dust free, so their will be a bit of discolouration regardless of how recent a dust storm happened. So just like on Earth, the atmospheric conditions play a role of what colour the sky is on Mars.

Originally posted by DaRAGE
One thing to say.

The reason why Earth's atmosphere is blue is due to huge amount of oceans we have. IF Earth didn't have Oceans, then our atmosphere would be the colour of whatever mainly whatever is most common, so jsut say for instance... sandy coulour?

That's not it at all.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra
Mars' atmosphere is also blue (probably a dark blue due to how thin it is), no scientist (NASA or otherwise) would deny this,

Well actually yes a dark blue when you look up, just like out here in the high desert in Nevada. Those deep blue skies out here are NOT photoshopped
Just go to the top of Bryce Canyon (approx 11,000 feet) but I wrote some scientists on that and used the composition of Martian atmosphere and got some odd answers One said it would be black because there was no nitrogen to scatter the blue light

but due to the large, global dust storms that happen every so often, I would imagine that Mars' atmosphere is rarely ever completely dust free, so their will be a bit of discolouration regardless of how recent a dust storm happened. So just like on Earth, the atmospheric conditions play a role of what colour the sky is on Mars.

I disagree... why? because I keep hearing from the skeptic side of the fence that the Martian atmosphere is thin and has little water vapor... and that the winds lack any real force due to that thinner atmosphere... so unlike earth where particle suspension can last longer, I would think clear skies on Mars are common.

However I will grant you that when that dust stirs up... like this in Iraq

that when you look through it you will get a red sky...

But from ABOVE even on Mars the storms are more brown than red... and you can still see through them

Here is an image taken by Mariner 9 A clear day and a cloudy day also brown

edit on 20-11-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Everyone is pointing the finger at the wrong organization. NASA is a puppet for the people who give them funding,

Perhaps true
but NASA is the 'front man' That is why they don't answer questions about 'anomalies' Can't accuse them of lying when they say nothing...
Witholding information... that is another matter and if you read at the bottom of ANY official NASA page, they have that covered

Just go to the bottom of any NASA page..

Look for this Freedom of Information Act

Then look at this...

A link is also included to the NASA FOIA Regulations, "Availability of Agency Records to Members of the Public" which will provide you with more detailed information concerning the processing of your FOIA request. You are also encouraged to view the NASA records retention schedule to assist you with your request.

So go here...Availability of Agency Records to Members

From that page choose Subpart 2--Records Available Sec. 1206.200 Types of records to be made available.

And finally go to the bottom under Exemptions

There you will see this...

Subpart 3--Exemptions
Sec. 1206.300 Exemptions.

(a) Under 5 U.S.C. 552(b) Agency records falling within the exemptions of paragraph (b) of this section are not required to be made available under this part. Such records may nevertheless be made available if it is determined that such actions would not be inconsistent with a purpose of the exemption (see Sec. 1206.208).

(b) The requirements of this part to make Agency records available do not apply to matters that are--

(1)

(i) Specifically authorized under criteria established by an Executive Order to be kept secret in the interest of national defense or foreign policy and

(ii)Are in fact properly classified pursuant to such Executive Order;

(2) Related solely to the internal personnel rules and practices of NASA;

(3) Specifically exempted from disclosure by statute (other than 5 U.S.C. 552), provided that such statute:

(i) Requires that the matters be withheld from the public in such a manner as to leave no discretion on the issue, or

(ii) Establishes particular criteria for withholding or refers to particular types of matters to be withheld;

So basically...

NASA is not obligated to tell us ANYTHING

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Are you saying because we are not seeing the real colors of Mars, Mars must have a thicker atmosphere then we are being told? Or are these fake colors hiding the locals waving to the camera. Some planets and moons have thick atmospheres, but what does it matter and why hide it.

I disagree... why? because I keep hearing from the skeptic side of the fence that the Martian atmosphere is thin and has little water vapor... and that the winds lack any real force due to that thinner atmosphere... so unlike earth where particle suspension can last longer, I would think clear skies on Mars are common.

So Mars has a thick atmosphere and particle suspension should last longer.

But then

Here is an image taken by Mariner 9 A clear day and a cloudy day also brown

So Mars has a thin atmosphere where clear skies are common.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
what about the night sky?
can stars be seen from mars?
edit on 20-11-2010 by mysteryskeptic because: correct sentence

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
why don't they have ir or night vision too?

The panoramic cameras have 8 infrared filters, some of those for the wavelengths used in night vision, so, answering your question, they do have night vision.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by apollo1956
Watch the sky colour of these pictures..blue!! that means atmosphere! J. Lear and others has been saying this for some time, and they were right!
Mars having an atmosphere is no secret, and its composition is more or less known.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mysteryskeptic

can stars be seen from mars?

Yes.

When you ask that, must have been a reason? Was there a second part, a point you were going to make, that you haven't mentioned yet?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Mars also have a weaker gravity, so the dust doesn't fall as fast as on Earth.

If, even with a thinner atmosphere, Mars has high altitude winds, they may be strong enough to keep the finer dust up in the air for a long time, and, as you said, seeing it from above doesn't look as red as as seeing from below because from above we are seeing it with the light shining on it while from below it is acting as a filter, and in the same way small particles like nitrogen molecules act as a blue filter, larger particles like dust act as a red filter, as we can see many times on Earth at the sunset or sunrise.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Speaking of that, and the winds, and specifically on Mars.

I quick search found that, for comparison, the surface pressure (and thus atmospheric density) on Mars is equivalent to about 35 kilometers high, in the Earth's atmosphere.

Further, many decades of atmospheric studies look at aerosol distribution in our atmosphere, in the study of global climates, and it isn't uncommon to find suspended particulates at those altitudes (and thus, pressure and density) on Earth...so, yes, even when an atmosphere is that tenuous, it CAN involve the movement of particulates (dust).

One could assume in the VERY arid climate of Mars, some extremely fine particles could exist, in great quantities.....

Here is the article link about the Earth's atmosphere and aerosol forcing of climate, with ll the gory details:

techdigest.jhuapl.edu...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I could not find (yet) any group of photos that includes the whole 16 filters, but I will use these from Spirit from Sol 9 to show what I mean.

These are the 7 photos from the left panoramic camera, the ones that have visible light filters.
(I use the radiometrically adjusted photos but without the corresponding

Clear filter - a real greyscale photo with all the wavelengths that the CCD accepts.

753nm filter - infrared.

673nm filter - red.

601nm filter - orange.

535nm filter - green.

482nm filter - blue.

432nm filter - violet.

As we can see, some of the colours in the colour chart appear brighter in some wavelengths and darker in other, because they reflect those wavelengths in different ways.

If you use the red, green and blue filters to get a colour image, this is what we get.

L3+L5+L6

By using the orange, green and blue we get an image that looks close to the original, probably because the filters used are narrow band filters and the red is too much on the red side.

L4+L5+L6

Things start to look strange when we use photos from wavelengths that are too far away from the intended colour, so if we use infrared instead of red we get this.

L2+L5+L6

If we use violet instead of blue we get this, too yellow.

L4+L5+L7

This happens for all "wrong" filters, so when we use orange, blue and violet instead of orange, green and blue we get this:

L4+L6+L7

In the above example, as we have two wrong components, most of the colours in the image are wrong.
Whenever the wrong components are used, no amount of colour tweaking will get back the right colours, because they never existed in the original components.

It's like trying to write with a keyboard that doesn't have all the letters, you can write may words correctly, but the more different words you have in your writing the more likely it will be that some words will have missing letters.

I tried to reproduce the "MER2RGB" process referenced in the opening post, but the results do not look like the images on their site, so I guess I must be doing something wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join