It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Conscousness Might Be The Last Thing To Know What You Think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Not sure what I think about this, but it kind of supports my own belief that consciousness is the process of experiencing our generated thoughts as opposed to the actual generator of our thoughts. This research proves that the brain makes a decision six seconds before the decision is consciously made. I'm sure there's some quantum whatever that shifts some sort of something in quantumness to make it appear as though the six seconds is beforehand, but that it's actually afterward, but I thought it might be interesting in light of some exchanges I've been involved in here lately.

edit on 11/18/2010 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
A working link would be awesome!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sykickvision
A working link would be awesome!

Blame the board on that one. The goddamn preview shows it everty time, but the board can't handle it for some reason. Not all software is quality software.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Says Malformed URL when you load the link manually...

does this work?

Yeppers... your link was "vuW4lOLEpU"

It needed to be "-vuW4lOLEpU" with the - at the beginning.

edit on 18/11/2010 by badw0lf because: Gremlins indeed!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Says Malformed URL when you load the link manually...

does this work?

Yeppers... your link was "vuW4lOLEpU"

It needed to be "-vuW4lOLEpU" with the - at the beginning.

edit on 18/11/2010 by badw0lf because: Gremlins indeed!

ah....

Thank you. I will remember this.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

It was an interesting video too, it wasn't until the very end that I remembered I'd seen it before but still good to see again.

Makes me wonder though, about 'split second' decisions. Are they also formed in our subconscious before we become aware of them - are they there regardless of our change of decision... or are they able to occur spontaneously. I wish they'd tested that.

I wonder if there is a link between understanding this and people who suffer OCD!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

It was an interesting video too, it wasn't until the very end that I remembered I'd seen it before but still good to see again.

Makes me wonder though, about 'split second' decisions. Are they also formed in our subconscious before we become aware of them - are they there regardless of our change of decision... or are they able to occur spontaneously. I wish they'd tested that.

I would think that instinctive response kicks in for those kinds of decisions. The DNA predetermination that rules brains that are response-centric - like animals and such. The corporeal brain's last ditch survival response as primordial reaction. No decision at all.

I wonder if there is a link between understanding this and people who suffer OCD!

As someone who has labored under OCD (more the obsession than the compulsion - and not that hand washing sort of sh*t) for my entire life, I can report that serotonin increase absolutely knocks OCD right out of your head, so I don't think it has anything to do with the basic decision making process. I grew up in an extremely violent environment (NY Public Housing), and while some people end up being violent themselves, and others become frightened, I dealt with it by "making ritual agreements" with whatever god might be listening to me. For me, that's what OCD was, and it happens when anxiety, depression and that sort of thing overwhelm your capacity to function. In other words, OCD is Depression on steroids. It takes over when you've gone way past a normal capacity to be depressed or scared. Raw survival by unconscious agreement with the god or demon of your choice. Most OCD sufferers don't even realize it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So what about those really fast decisions where you don't just act by instinct/muscle memory but you quickly analyze your surroundings, actions taking place and think of the best possible solution?

Race drivers come to my mind. 6 seconds is WAY too much time.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So wait, if you are about to make a decision, but you see on the screen your own brain activity within the 6 seconds and know you'll press the left button, are you still able to press the right button?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

That's kinda creepy to think about that you mite not even make your own decisions, unless I misunderstood this?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Here's a diagram showing what consciousness is, and what it means:

For more info:
LINK

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by America?
reply to post by SonicInfinity

That's kinda creepy to think about that you mite not even make your own decisions, unless I misunderstood this?

You make your own decisions, but the mechanics of it involve your brain as the initiator, and not some esoteric essence that tells your brain what decision to make. You brain generates that esoteric essence by making that decision, and the conscious you is that esoteric essence that experiences the making of that decision as experienced consciousness. Sort of like you experience it once it's already coming into manifestation. Like frames from a film passing before the light bulb of a projector. The frames exist before passing in front of the projector lightbulb, as opposed to the projector itself generating the movie frame.

This research strongly suggests that my notion of the conscious human being as brain-generated intellect (a rich-textured form of dynamic and aware information) may actually be plausible. Of course, I'm pretty amped over finding this information, but I'm still holding out for more research verification, and trying not to take too much from this. It is a definite start though.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the video, quite interesting.

I'm no neurologist, of course, but it seems like he's making a bit of a leap in assumption there, as he seems to be claiming that he decides nothing, it just kind of filters in to his consciousness, and six seconds later, he pushes the button. The missing part is that what they are simply seeing is the process by which a decision is made. An easy way to reassess what they are seeing is to require you to decide which button to press on a much faster basis -- every two seconds, for example. Would your decisions overlap, because of this six second thing?

Not to get all creepy or anything, but it seems like one of the possible outcomes of research like this is the development of technology that can force you to make decisions you might not otherwise, and have it seem like it was, in fact, your decision, and you think it's a fine one.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Thanks for the video, quite interesting.

I'm no neurologist, of course, but it seems like he's making a bit of a leap in assumption there, as he seems to be claiming that he decides nothing, it just kind of filters in to his consciousness, and six seconds later, he pushes the button. The missing part is that what they are simply seeing is the process by which a decision is made. An easy way to reassess what they are seeing is to require you to decide which button to press on a much faster basis -- every two seconds, for example. Would your decisions overlap, because of this six second thing?

Not to get all creepy or anything, but it seems like one of the possible outcomes of research like this is the development of technology that can force you to make decisions you might not otherwise, and have it seem like it was, in fact, your decision, and you think it's a fine one.

I would hope that this segment was just a quick overview of what these guys are researching, and not the entire range of experimentation. It seems as if they weren't trying a variety of scenarios, then they aren't making good use of that machine they have there.

As far as the 2 second decision, how much of a true decision is it, as opposed to a reaction. Really. The nature of a decision is much more deliberate tan the nature of a split second response to external stimuli. I would imagine that a different circuit within the brain is involved when that sort of functionality is activated. Maybe it's nearby to the circuit they're investigating, but it couldn't be the same circuit, since the difference between the kind of activity (determined initiation versus conditioned response) is pretty significant - which is why athletes and military troops train to establish conditioned responses for control over that sort of thing.

The point is that consciousness - according to the guy who was inside the MRI and making the choice between one botton and the other - lags the brain's actual decision, and by six seconds, if the machine's recognition of the circuitry response is compared against the guy's actual choice of which button to push. In this forum, people are asserting that consciousness is primary, and drives the corporeal husk around like a 1972 Pinto hatchback with a brown door, and I think that's an assertion that needs to be able to defend itself with more than what's been offered in defense of it.

This is a bona fide clinical research study and it provides easy-to-debunk data results, but only if the results aren't true. The whole primordial consciousness claim has no data to back itself, and only a handfull of theories that rely on assertions that have been built on assumptions that were layered thick on top of extrapolations of theories that were never proven in the first place. Then, if you question any of it, you get the jargon blanket tossed over the whole thing, and the audience bows to its inability to even wade through the mess and nothing is ever determined. What a mess.

join