It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The idea of internet viruses and locking down the internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I was thinking today about viruses and the internet.

And I thought. Still thinking.

So, if you wanted to lock down knowledge on the internet, how would you do it?

I tell you what I think may be happening, at least in part. Viruses, becoming more and more threatening. Now, who in the devil has all this time to be writing viruses? Must be getting paid, so, yeah there is that part. And there is the true criminal who is just trying to steal your information.

But, think about it. If you want to sanitize the internet, so only the information you want to get out, gets out, what do you do?

You make it such a hostile place, and you make people so scared to do anything on the internet, for fear of getting infected, that they accept the prison bars of internet sterilization.

Common theme here, fear. Just like 911. Those horrible terrorists running around everywhere, and many of us accepted new restrictions because of this, so we could feel safe.

Just like our food scare. Here fear is again. We must be "protected" yet again, so GMO crops can come in and take over, and "save the day." The funny thing is, big agricultural businesses are the ones that are putting out the tainted foods, but it seems like the small farmer will pay the price. Who, by the way, is more likely to sell a superior product.

More control, less freedom.

Fear, fear, fear, again with Big Pharma. You simply must have some sort of disease, that needs to be feared, and medicated for. Yet again, the iron bars fall, this time, with drug induced unawareness and blindness.

"That's right, sit your butt down and watch TV, TV with "our" messages, get "our" information off of the internet, and eat "our" food, take "our" medications, we wouldn't want you see "us," and stand up and fight."

This started out about the internet, but you can see, it has a familiar theme to it.

Troy

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
i remember talking about this during a computer class in high school. my teacher had this theory that viruses were created by the actual anti-virus companies in order to sell their product because it didn't make sense why people would sit in some dark cabinet and write viruses just to make life crappy for people using the internet unless they were getting paid to do it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Yeah, I know, I mean there are only so many people in the world who are truly interested in taking down computers, or stealing information.

Logic would tell us that there seems to be another motive behind the viruses. Money, control?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by asperetty
i remember talking about this during a computer class in high school. my teacher had this theory that viruses were created by the actual anti-virus companies in order to sell their product because it didn't make sense why people would sit in some dark cabinet and write viruses just to make life crappy for people using the internet unless they were getting paid to do it.

Sorry I can't find a link right now, but he was right and some anti-virus companies have been caught spreading viruses. Others assemble your personal information and send it right back. Personally, I've used an anti-virus for about 1 year in the past 10 or so. When I had one running, it was the only time my computer ever got infected... Without the anti-virus software, my PC doesn't get viruses. And it runs much, much faster.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I ran mine without anti-virus for a while. The crazy thing is I go to a house with a computer weighed down by a virus, and a lot of times you will see "Norton" or something on the machine. Did Norton just roll out the red carpet, and say, "Come on in?"

But do you guys kind of get what I'm going at here? It's more than just profiting off viruses, could it be part of the locking down process of the internet? You know, sanitizing it.
edit on 18-11-2010 by cybertroy because: added more

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

Viruses really do attack computers, but they are not really set up by individuals. If they are, its to interfere with larger networks, and corporate infrastructure.

I have been working with computers for years. I consider anti-virus a virus. I mean it makes your computer slower, is really hard to uninstall (McAffee/Norton removal tool), and spins your hard drive over and over again until it gives out in 2 years and you have to buy a new computer...

I am convinced anti-virus is a big data mining operation. I mean all viruses pretty much show up in the user folder or the system32 folder. You can find weird .dll files by arranging files by date. Anti-virus applications though pretty much scan every single folder on the computer. It uses a LOT of system resources and the code is proprietary so we don't know what it does.

That's why we should support open source!

The best anti-virus is a little good education. The biggest tip I can give is DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER (ActiveX).
edit on 19-11-2010 by Section69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

I second that!

But, when all is said and done, viruses have been around since long before the internet. I used to get virus on copied games when I had an Amiga 500 back in 1989.

Whilst many viruses are probably the work of Symantec trying to drum up customers, there are sad, lonely people out there who do this just for kicks.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'll give it that, it certainly slows a computer down. If you have Norton or something of the sort running on a system with not much memory, you are pretty much guaranteed to bring your computer to it's knees. Service Pack 3 for Windows XP also slows down computers that ran fine before this.

But I do understand, though, that eventually your computer has to be upgraded or replaced if you want a prettier OS.

Kind of a side topic, so what do you guys use to keep your computer safe, if you don't use antivirus? I mean there are hackers. Obviously there is safe computing, and firewalls...

What could you use with little affect on the performance of the machine?

Troy

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

Learn how viruses work and why, learn how they start up with the system, learn to read the system registry and command prompt tools such as tasklist (most viruses will hide themselves from the taskmanager but cannot hide from the tasklist)

Learn how to tell what's malicious and what's not, obviously if you have a program called kjlhvdsknv31dasfd.exe running in your tasklist it's likely malicious. When you first format your computer make note of what processes are running, then make note of what runs with every new program you install. check periodically and if there's anything not in your little list of things that you put there, get rid of it.

^this is GENERAL help, there's much more you can do/need to learn to secure your computer well. And by all means, make sure you have a firewall on and not windows firewall, most viruses will give themselves an exception in win firewall.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
If you were so inclined to shut down the internet, the physical approach would probably be more effective. All the data the makes up the internet (web pages, forums, files, images, etc) are stored in Data Centers and Hosting Centers around the world. Without these centers, there is no more data. Shutting down their ability to transmit data in any way would be step 1.

Step 2 would be to sever the undersea cables between the US and the rest of the world. Without these vital information pipelines, you will effectively stop all data transfer to and from anywhere.

It may theoretically be possible to shut down the data centers with the use of a virus, but I don't think anything capable of doing so currently exists.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It's the funniest thing. I'll get to someone's house, and they will be infected with a virus. And what do you see on the machine. Norton, McAffee, etc. These are paid programs, yet they don't seem to mind letting infections in.

I'm all over the internet with Chrome, no antivirus, and I don't have many problems. Haven't been infected since I got rid of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Troy

new topics

top topics

join