It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN troops fire on Haiti protesters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

UN troops fire on Haiti protesters

uk.news.yahoo.com

Demonstrators said UN forces shot several people - including a dead man wheeled through the streets and a wounded man shown bleeding in video shot on Wednesday.

The government sent senior officials to Cap-Haitien, Haiti's second-largest city, to quell the rioting in which at least two people died.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I see this situation getting out of hand pretty fast. The people are dying of Cholera and are angry at the basic lack of sanitation in place and now they are getting shot and killed.The other day there was a report about the Cholera outbreak being Asian in origin (see bbc link) and that may be one of the reasons for the protests, as they are blaming the Nepalese peacekeepers.Sorry if already posted before but didn't see it so thought I would add.
What do you ATSers think
Regards

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Personally I feel this is a travesty. Human rights violations are abound from what I can read in this report. Another VERY troubling thing to me is that with all these NON lethal manners to subdue riots and crowds, how come none are being used? I mean for Christ sake who can blame the Haitians for being angry about the current state of affairs. They haven't even been able to pick up the pieces yet and now they have cholera outbreaks and PEACEKEEPERS shooting at them. I mean really, c'mon what has this world allowed the UN to become.

Sickening purely sickening.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
As I stated in another related thread, UN peacekeepers aren't supposed to be shooting anything, this is not their job. What UN troops were these and what country is commanding them?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ummm, that's a rather misleading headline for the OP there.

From what I have been reading over the past three days is that Haitians have been attacking the UN forces, blaming them for the start of the Cholera outbreak. This has made it difficult to help with aid, and as of yesterday impossible. A shipment of tons of soap was stopped and sent back before it got anywhere near Haiti.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The Haitians are in the grip of a conspiracy theory.

The particular strain of Cholera is from Tibet.

One base of UN people are Tibetian.

So basically in their rush to seek
mob justice they are attacking
the very people trying to help.
edit on 17-11-2010 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but are you saying the Hatians, worlds away from either of us, are stupid and are only hurting themselves? You do realize that the Hatians have a long history of being under siege by American invasion and corporate interests, right? This is why I am asking who is in charge of the UN troops there because if it is Americans then it is no longer a peacekeeping mission but a task force for corporate interests.

US has, on many occasions, intentionally deployed chemical or biological weapons on entire populations to weaken them while US corporate interests take over or the US military destroys infrastructure. Look at Afghanistan and Iraq, for instance; millions are poisoned by depleted uranium. I think that thousands of Hatians, living in Haiti, might be able to come to their own experienced conclusions on who is creating their problems.

In fact if you look at the situation, Haiti (which in the last decade has had a civil war against pro-American leadership) has continued to suffer since the devistating earthquake. What have the Americans done? Officially they pledge over a billion in aid. Unofficially they never sent aid but rather thousands of soldiers to "maintain security". This is common shock and awe strategy, and it applies to natural disasters as much as it does for war.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Thanks for your comment. Yes I understand the UN has a very difficult job. I am angry because basic sanitation seems not to be provided thus preventing this outbreak, therefore no riots therefore no shootings. Unfortunately I see this situation getting a lot worse before it gets better. Luckily Cholera can not be passed easily from human to human because the stomach acid is able to kill small quantities of the bacteria. Now the aid agencies and UN not only have that to contend with displaced people, Cholera but also a population that's angry and feels like they don't really have that much to lose.
Regards

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but are you saying the Hatians, worlds away from either of us, are stupid and are only hurting themselves?

You do not sound like that to me. In fact what you say sounds both real and true to me. I appreciate the challenges you pose to my comments.

Let me look at them again and I'll clarify what I'm saying. But weather it is the real story or not, contiunes to deserve challenge. Give me a sec, to respond.

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Great post, I agree with you that corporate America wants to occupy Haiti. To me it seems like that $1 billion hasn't gone very far except fund USAs private venture. For what reason time will tell. Could be for a strategic position in the Caribbean, could be for natural resources.

I always assumed the general rule of peacekeeping forces was to well keep the peace and just observe. The rules of engagement must of changed! Saying that if the crowd are armed and taking shots at the UN surely they, like any other human. are in their right to defend themselves. Whether this was the case remains unclear. Will keep my eye open for further developments.
Regards

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

You do realize that the Hatians have a long history of being under siege by American invasion and corporate interests, right?

I can agree with this.
Isn't it interesting to notices that if anyone escapes from Guantanamo Bay they have two choices. Cross the fence and be fired on by Comunist Cuba, or boat to the nightmare that Haiti.

As to Haiti's long history; the defiance of countries goes all the way back to Napoleon and France. Many historians agree that the loss of Haiti was the begining of the end for him, and lead to him having to sell Louisiana.

If TPTB have any interest in not helping Haiti it is only in the sense that they can point to it as example of the one slave rebellion that won a country, and they can say to each other over brandy & cigars, "and look at them now."

edit on 17-11-2010 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I think that thousands of Hatians, living in Haiti, might be able to come to their own experienced conclusions on who is creating their problems.

This is where my opinion diverges.

How did the entire population of Haiti get the information that the particular strain of Cholera comes from Tibet, and that one UN base was populated by Tibetians?

It feels like someone is manipulating things.

But I stand by my assesment that the mob justice mentality is a weakness that was too easily exploited. I imagine the Tibetian UN forces are as freaked out by what is going on as the Haitians.

We're here to bring aid, and now we are forced to defend our lives with deadly force.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

What UN troops were these and what country is commanding them?

No country commands the UN. The UN serves what their logo shows.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb1163e48c7b.jpg[/atsimg]

They're probably moving to plan B after getting busted introducing the Cholera.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Please elaborate more on the Tibetan connection. Are these Tibetan peacekeepers or civilians in Haiti?

We must also remember that a large population of Hatians live in refugee camps as well. It seems like even their own government has abandoned them there.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
[edit] having trouble finding the article
edit on 18-11-2010 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Found it.

Rumors that U.N. peacekeepers from Nepal, where cholera is common, brought the disease to Haiti last month triggered the riots.

NY daily news

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

So in other words, the Haitians are right in that UN troops probably brought this disease?

From the Hatian perception, it seems like all foreign intervention causes them dire problems. UN peacekeepers shooting them was a major F up, in my opinion. Even in Rwanda, the UN chose not to engage because peacekeepers have a duty to arbitrate already pre-existing conflict in order to help the people affected and stop genocide. This is a complete travesty, IMO.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
So after they have a devasting natural disaster, the un marches in and re-organises these people into tent camps, dispensing charity and not enough food. Gives them cholera and then shoots them??

I do have the chain of event correct?

So WTF are we not getting angry about it?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

UN peacekeepers shooting them was a major F up, in my opinion.

There are three casualties.

These are from seperate incidents where the peacekeeprs were returning fire.

Seems like great restraint was used.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

This is NWO and the way things really are done in this world apparently, and it has to stop. We need the will to stop it, the only thing missing is the will of the people, and I think many are fed up, so its time to get a little bit organized about things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join