It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Come get your free trac phone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Over the past few months there has been an advertisement played almost everyday on the radio station I listen to going to work. The ad that's played is a government sponsored program asking if u need help in these tough economic times and if so to come receive your free trac phone with free minutes added to it every month.I believe you can apply online for this. I'm not sure if this is going on in other places I just know this is currently on the radio stations of Maine My question is why does the government all of a sudden find it necessary to hand out free trac phones to those in need when there are many other things they could hand out that would come of much better use.

I post this not only because i find it strange but i wanted to know other peoples thoughts on this.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WhereAreWe

I actually have one of these phones right now and the program, thus far, is legit. It's a recycled older phone but it works and the service is free. It works like a prepaid phone and I get about a $13.00 credit per month for use. It's .20 cents a minute for use, I think, and .25 cents per text. But it's a help.

My unemployment compensation is next to nothing and this service lets me have a phone for the job search without having to expend money that needs to go for food/rent.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

and you have those suits watching for any terrorists to call you and set up plans too. hope you dont buy/sell/do any drugs. just remember that with anything given by the government, they reserve the right to see every way in which its "investment" (your phone) is used

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WhereAreWe

Wow, I live in Maine and i have never heard this, guess i should listent to the radio more. It doesnt suprise me tho, expecially with the mass imagration of somalians over the past few years. I suppose some people deserve it (Heff) but most don't, just like the rest of the help the state offers.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I want a free phone.

It's not a new thing apparently

The federal "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration. Lifeline is a federal program created by the Reagan era Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1984. The program was enhanced under Telecommunications Act of 1996, which was supported on a broadly bipartisan basis in Congress. The FCC’s Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), is designed to ensure that quality telecommunications services are available to low-income customers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. Lifeline support reduces eligible low-income consumers' monthly charges for basic telephone service.

Their web site is here

top topics

join