It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why am I an atheist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Recently I've encountered some people in my day-to-day life saying some things about atheists, not knowing that I myself am one. They all seem to have some reasons as to why atheists are atheists.

I'd like to ask the ATS community one simple question: Why do you think I'm an atheist?

To clarify, this isn't necessarily about me personally, but about atheists in general.
edit on 17/11/10 by madnessinmysoul because: Clarification

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hmm well I think I'm an atheist for many reasons....the first I think of is....why would a God want to cast me into an eternal hellfire when you cannot even fraction the 80 or so years you live into eternity?

Another I think of (not necessarily a reason), is why do the Holy books claim God's creation is perfect, when God is infinitely knowledgeable and creative. Surely such a deity can never achieve perfection since his ability is not finite. Isn't God all knowing? Apparently he's the past, present and future, so he knows our actions surely. But in religion we have free will? God already knows what we'll do won't he? How can that be free will if you're religious? What's the point in watching your movie play out?

edit on 17-11-2010 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Because you don't believe in fairy tales and pseudologic that defies reason?

Am I right? Or... it is more complex than that?

I am not an atheist but I am too like yourself a passionate teapotist! We teapotist must join forces and form a (secret!) society so we can defend ourselves against enemies of common sense. This world is ridden with maniacs and evil - and IMO only teapotism can cure it! I believe in tea pots, I have even seen them with my own eyes.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

probably because you are smart (or awake) enough to not believe the "stories" you've been told.

At least thats my opinion

Thats not saying that god and jesus etc are not real, the real story has been hidden from us to keep us in fear. IMO

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

How about because you want to think you can control your own destiny. Because(not talking about you specifically because I don't know you) pride and arrogance is the way the main foe of man... rebelled against a hight power we do the same.. Rebellion... We can't stand the thought of not being in control! So we become anti. Even though we can understand only our(man's)ways. We just can't comprehend or stand the thought of a higher power or consciousness.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

So many reasons really, but proof has to be at the base of it.

There is no more proof of a god or many gods, than there is for santa claus or the tooth fairy.

Thiests use the bible, subjective thoughts and emotion etc... as proof but it is not scientifically verifiable in any way as proof of a god or gods.

In short, there is no proof.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Some interesting answers so far.

Let's keep them coming.

I'm not going to comment on specifics until more people actually post, as I'm more interested to see what others think.

I know, I know, I'm actually listening to people, how appalling!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dakota1s2

I can stand not being in control just fine, no problem with it at all.

I also have no problem with a higher being etc, if only there was proof of one, which there is not.

It's all about proof.

Faith or the bible or any other religious texts is proof of nothing.

One other thing I must point out is that an Athiest is not 'Anti' god strictly speaking, but rather simply has no belief in one due to lack of credible evidence.
edit on 17-11-2010 by _Highlander_ because: More ranting.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I'll play

You are an atheist because you are exercising your Free Will.
You are an atheist because you have not found a religion that resonates with you.
You are an atheist because you have not had any significant spiritual experiences.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

You are an atheist because you have not had any significant spiritual experiences.

Ugh.

I'd imagine if an atheist had a "spiritual experience", they would approach it skeptically and reasonably. If they cannot explain said experience, I'd imagine they'd call it unexplained and leave it as is until more information about the phenomena is discovered, not just randomly pull their favourite fairy tale out of nowhere and somehow claim the experience is evidence for something when it's clearly not.

But on topic, I'd imagine people are atheists because they are more skeptical / reasonable / logical than a believer when it comes to a claim that has no evidence whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
No clue, but I have several hypotheses

- Atheists tend to approach religion philosophically rather than experimentally. (i.e. only if it sounds logical)
- Atheism is a fad (although I can tell you're more intelligent than that)
- Many Atheists grew up in an extreme fundamentalist family that turns them off from the idea of religion all together
- You may have ideological problems with subjugating yourself to a God.

But I'm not an Atheist, so it's all speculation. My guess is that your answer will be something along the lines of "I don't believe in fairy tales", "There is no scientific proof", etc.

Looking forward to the answer.

edit on 11/17/2010 by BobbinHood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
I'd like to ask the ATS community one simple question: Why do you think I'm an atheist?

You have set a level of evidence required that is higher than the level of evidence received.

Most atheists that I speak with say that, were their level of evidence required exceeded, they would rethink their position. That's the point where the rubber meets the road, I think... would they believe, or merely reposition their requirements?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Great thread! What is a teapotist?

I came to my atheism only after allowing myself to be alone in my own head. I have a theory that a lot of people censor their own thoughts from god, and thus themselves.

For example, I was raised Baptist, and I was taught that god knows what you're going to think before you even think it. I was also taught that satan was the father of all doubt, lies, and dissent. Add that to the "fact" that god and his Bible are perfect (and not products of man) and to the "fact" that thinking a sin is the same as committing a sin, you have no good reason to question anything. At all. Ever.

I was very busy stamping out pesky questions before god could notice them forming. All the while knowing it was futile, because according to the Bible, god knew what I was going to think before I did. It seemed I was born screwed. But I thought maybe trying not to think things counted for something.

After a few years of these impossible mental gymnastics and the guilt associated with them, I realized I actually hated god enough to want to be sent to hell. Only then did I allow myself free reign of my thoughts. This led to much exploration and self-discovery. In the realm of religion, I explored every single one until finally embracing atheism (what a relief!)

There are so many other catalysts to becoming an atheist, religion was simply mine. Obviously there are atheists with no religious background. What it really comes down to is free-thinking.

"Although I cannot move and I have to speak through a computer, in my mind I am free." - Stephen Hawking

(Side note: For the atheists that were never religious I'd like to point out that even though god is not real, a person's relationship with god is VERY real to them. It has the same emotional consequences as any other relationship that falls apart does. Atheists don't have a network of support like churches do. Don't be afraid to reach out to those struggling with the idea of atheism.)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

I'll play

You are an atheist because you are exercising your Free Will.
You are an atheist because you have not found a religion that resonates with you.

I don't think we can assume that spiritual experiences are dependent upon there being a god, though.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's impossible to know the road people travel as none are exactly the same.

If I had to guess why madness is the way he is I would have to say it goes beyond a thought process. He is way too passionate for that. I would guess he feels God let him down in some way...or "didn't show" at some point or situation in his life.

This is just a guess in the dark....he and God are the only ones that really know for sure.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Clarification on something:

It's "A-teapotist" in the same way I'm an "A-theist". I put the hyphen in because some people might be more confused by "Ateapotist"

And by "A-teapotist" I mean I do not believe in an incredibly tiny, undetectable teapot that is orbiting the moon. It is better known as "Russel's teapot", as it was an argument created by Bertrand Russel.

Other similar arguments include;

The magic sandwich that cures cancer
The Invisible Pink Unicorn
The Flying Spaghetti Monster
Carl Sagan's Garage Dragon
and many more...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Greetings Whyhi. I apologize if I offended you. OP asked for my opinion of why he / she is an atheist. I was speaking on assumptions of the OP and not atheism in general. I did not come into this thread with an intention of negativity, to debate religion, or to propagate my personal understandings.

I don't think I was deserving of your condescending tone, but if it makes you feel happy then I'll take it in stride and let it be.

Once again, my apologies. May Peace be upon you, genuinely.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PeasantRebellion

My guess and opinion of the OP's belief as requested. Not meant to debate atheism or religion. My apologies.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

madnessinmysoul,

I suppose your user name says something but not for me to interpret. But are you really an Atheist? I worked with one several months and every day he would press the subject to get my views on God and then his denouncing God. Well one day I came up on him unnoticed and a tree limb of a tree he was cutting up sprung back and whacked him a terrible blow in the family jewels and he cursed up an unholy storm. I was about to walk on up but stopped because he had dropped to his knees and praying for God to forgive him for using His name in vain. Well I slipped away and never let him know I over heard. He was a naturalist and worked to stay in very good health and that was very good. That occurance always made me wonder and does to this day.

Truthiron.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Well I can only speak for myself . I am an Atheist because no evidence exists to support the existence of one or more higher powers . Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and people of faith don't provide any . All logical points to the fact that one or more gods don't exist .

On a more philosophical level I suppose I wonder how many people of faith suffered far worse from the effects of the 7,1 Canterbury Earthquake then I did ?
That included an awful lot of people . So they are the fools not me . * Sure I had my own lucky escape by moving my Caravan to a different site in the motor camp I am in thus avoiding the worst of the liquefaction . Yet no prayers were involved .

* No offence is intended here towards those people of faith or not who lost there homes to the quake , in fact some of there faces are burnt into my mind all of which can invoke powerful emotions . Still in matters such as this such facts cannot be escaped .

edit on 18-11-2010 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join