It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typical American

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I was reading another thread, and one of the posters replied, Typical American.

It got me thinking.

What IS a Typical American?

I am an American, and I really wonder how American's are truly perceived by others, especially non Americans, but by ourselves, how do we Americans ourselves define, Typical American?

I took to google, and simply typed in, Typical American. I figured it was a good place to start.

Of course, the first image that came up was of a fat kid eating McDonald's.

Here are a few other images that came up from the google search, Typical American.

Typical American family.

Typical American Breakfast.

Typical American?

And this was just from page one.

So anyone who is not from America, and wants to learn about the Typical American, gets this visual education from Google.

Are the stereotypes correct? Is the above what jumps to mind when one hears Typical American?

If you are American, do you identify with these pictoral stereotypes? If not, what IS a Typical American, from your American POV?

If you are NOT American, do the pictoral stereotypes returned by Google bring to life your vision of the Typical American? If not, what IS the Typical American, from your non American POV?

I am very curious to hear the responses. As I surf this board, I come across Anti American rhetoric daily. If you are one who is anti American, how do you envision the Typical American?

I can predict of course, no American posters on THIS website will identify with these stereotypes (fat lazy eats McDonalds, gun nut), so I wonder why the stereotype of the fat lazy American is so strong?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, like every nation on the planet, the USA has all types of people. Duh. But the term "Typical" means a person who lives up to the stereotype outsiders have about some group. So of course, depending on how the outsiders stereotype the USA, will depend on what they envision the "Typical American" too look/behave like.

If those outsiders see Americans as capitalists, they'll see Gordon Gecko.
If those outsiders see Americans as fat and lazy, they'll see that McDonald's kid.
If those outsiders see Americans as wild cowboys, they'll see that old timer with the rifle and getup.

There is no single "Typical American" - it all depends on the individual outsider's view.

Of course, like any population of people, there is a statistical bell curve for every feature of people (economic, physical, cultural, religious, etc.), and right smack-dab in the middle is the "average". So in America, you'll have the "Average American" - and most Americans will somewhat match those characteristics independently of how outsiders see them.

So, make sure not to confuse a "Typical" anybody with an "Average" anybody.
edit on 17-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: typo

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
LATimes article, Typical American reference

Reporting from Montclair, N.J. — Richard and Cynthia Murphy grew lettuce in a backyard garden, walked their daughters to the school bus each morning, and swapped Christmas cards with neighbors who had moved to Texas.

Their modest three-bedroom house sported maroon shutters and a wrap-around porch, and sat on a winding street in a well-heeled suburb across from Manhattan. They drove a green Honda Civic.

To all appearances, the Murphys were a typical, child-obsessed American family — not deep-cover Russian spies straight from a Cold War novel.

This article is about Russian Spies who blended in by assuming the above described Typical American Lifestyle.

Child Obsessed American Family?

I reckon this is how Russians perceive us! Is this an apt description of the Typical American Family?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well here is my idea of the typical American...er what every typical American looks up to and wants to become:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I like this thread...S and F for you. I did a google image search for "typical Israeli". As interesting or more interesting than "typical American".

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

And while searching typical facist on the first images page is the American flag lmfao!

The true american!

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

The thing is there is no such thing as a typical American. That's the beauty of our country. Our country is made up of ALL kinds. If you can afford it take a trip to a handful of cities. While Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and Washington are "East Coast", none of them are the same. Look at all over the US of A. To say a typical American is fat, lazy, greedy is like saying Polish are stupid, Scottish are cheap, English have bad teeth. Russians drink a lot of vodka, Japanese are short and smart I could go on with the sterotypes. The sterotypes exist because those type of people exist, but it's no where close to the majority of that group of people.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Drepends on how you define "typical"?

By "typical" do you mean average?

If "typical" is assumed to mean majority or higher, than let's move on:

Picture one: not typical - American studies state that child obesity is 20% or lower (depends on age category) definitely less than 50% so not "typical".

Picture two: 50/50. In regards to the adults, it would be typical. Adult obesity is approx 34% and overweight is approx 34%, so that is 68% of Americans overweight. Children, see response to picture one.

Picture three: I don't even know if there is a definitive stat on breakfast, side note...looks tasty.

(Obesity Stats)

Picture four: not typical - American studies show that 35% of American householdsown guns, but only 67% of that own long guns (like the shotgun he is holding). If you factor in the cowbow outfit, it falls further. So, no, that is not a "typical" American.

(Gun Stats)

Unfortunately, "typical" is usually used in liue of "stereotypical". And steroetypes are often drived from the "percieved" lowest or worst case scenario.

Do the have a smidgen of truth to them, yes. But, to be fair I could probably drudge up pics like that from any western nation.

Does it represent the majority of Americans, all but the overweight/obese parents, nope.

edit on 17-11-2010 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Yeah well I have lived in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Florida and born and raised American... To me no matter how they appear on the outside; they are typically all greedy and facist and that is in the deepest core of their being it's about what they can get from you and how much they can get from you and they will bleed you dry until you die, and they always think they deserve everything while others deserve nothing... This goes from coast to coast Of all the Americans I have met I have two real friends, the rest are just too egocentric and selfish as they come! Sorry but I live here, and that's all I see!!!! Even the lazy ones, but they think they're entitled to every one forking their money over to them for nothing in return, but don't fret, I am beginning to see it's not just americans that are like this but it's the typical human that is like this so it's typical of all humanity!
edit on 17-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: extra letters

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So sad when people stereotype. The US is such a huge country, it would be like stereotyping all of Europe. Just a blanket statement made by a person who wants to perceive something is wrong with a particular society.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I was born in America and raised in an immigrant community. I can tell you what the "Typical American" is from the point of view of the many immigrants I have been exposed to my entire life.

Typical American:

• Fat
• Lazy
• Stupid, Idiotic, Uneducated, Unintelligent
• Believes everything on television
• Believes America and Americans are the supreme beings of earth that all others should emulate
• Has no true understanding or perspective of the world outside of America
• Lack morals and values
• Many American guys are gay
• Most American girls are unworthy of marriage because they are overly promiscuous, can't cook, can't clean, party too much, and are not faithful. Only worthy of dating and sex, but not to marry.
• Some Europeans do not wish to be categorized with white Americans because they consider them white trash
• Many Native Africans do not wish to be categorized with African Americans because they consider them ghetto trash
• Emotionally Weak; cry-babies. Complain and cry about tiny things and have no concept of true pain or true hardship.
• Spoiled brats
• Rude
• Arrogant
• Egotistical

I was raised in an Asian immigrant community. I know many Native Africans and Arabs from my Islamic beliefs and time spent at mosques. I work with and party with many Europeans.

I'm not confirming nor denying these views are true, nor am I implying this is how all non-Americans view Americans. It is only the views of non-americans that I have experienced.
edit on 11/17/10 by Sahabi because: Correct grammar

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
mmmmm, good question.

When i hear people say something like typical american or something like that i know they would mean - fat, lazy, greedy, power hungry, arrogant, ignorant, thick, self-obsessed/egotistical or rude - to name just a few. They don't mean all this is one go just parts of it depending on the way they mean it.

I think people may mean this because maybe an american (celeb/politician/tourists/john doe) because they see something that an american do/say something that non-americans disagree with or doesn't understand or non-americans are just been idiots and just slandering americans just for the hell of it.

Well i think that explains a part of it anyway, this is just how i see it really. From my POV though (for the record) I've met many americans and i have to say they are among the nicest people I've met (and i've met thousands of people from all around the world) and i see them as open minded and honest and straight-forward...although i have to say sometimes the strong accent can be too much for my ears (everyone has to have a flaw somewhere, lol).

Well that's my thoughts, i'm non-american (irish/british)
edit on 17/11/2010 by Traydor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Traydor

Well I say all these things mentioned are typical of all humanity.
That's why humanity is an EPIC FAIL! God needs to bring on the waterworks again and this time don't let any survive we are a disease a plague on an otherwise pristine world!
edit on 17-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: wat happened to my "S"????LOL

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

When I hear things like "typical american" I try to consider the source. Normally, this term is used by a non-american. It's a slight. A way of saying we're all a bunch of cookie cutter simpletons.
Most frequently it comes from the europeans. Makes me wonder why the entire world, including the left wing here in the United States loves to bash the "typical american" so much.
Here's why. We invented cars, airplanes, the telephone, the computer, nuclear power, the automobile, the assembly line, modern medicine, space travel, television, radio, the elevator, steel frame buildings (the skyscraper), petroleum extraction and use, the internal combustion engine, automatic weaponry, the calculator, the telegraph, the internet, and captialism just to rattle off a few.
Despite this infestation of foreigners and liberals, we're still the richest, most innovative, most technologically advanced, and most free nation in the history of man.
Is that what you mean by typical american? Because lets be honest. Without the typical american, the typical european would be riding to work on their job at a farm on a bicycle with wooden wheels. All while speaking german.
The french wouldn't be rioting in the streets over having to work until 62 to get free government cheese because they'd be busy surrendering to the bahamas or something.
Here's the typical american. He's a guy like me, who gets sick of an entire continent who couldn't do in thousands of years what we did in 200 insulting us and telling us how to live. A continent who apparantly despises us until they need someone to defend them because they're own citizens are too busy running like hell.
Basically, you may want to work on getting your own countries up to speed before you go knocking us. And always bear in mind, we don't really give a rip what you think. So theres that.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

You just made my point, all those things were done of greed and how much control, power, money, and privilege would be attained from it. Thank you, however they typical chinese/european/israeli are catching up to this as well... basically nobody cares about anyone but themselves, self preservation is what the species known as man is all about. And this is why it is the most detrimental of species on the face of the Earth, anybody who denies this is denying their true selves.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

As a typical american, and on behalf of other typical americans, you are welcome to leave anytime. Instead of blaming americans for your failures, have you considered the fact that you may lack talent, intellegence and the work ethic necessary to be successful here? Sounds like you don't have the capability to compete, which is really you're problem.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I think that would be going a step too far to be honest, there are some fine examples of humanity out there, unfortunately people tend to remember the bad and not the good.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I know myself, I fit several "stereotypical" categories. One is I Love my country, and do feel it is a great country and strong. I don't think patriotism is a bad thing, but it seems to be perceived as a bad thing by some outsiders.

Another one is I like McDonald's food.

I am not greedy, and do not want power and money. So I don't fit into that stereotype. And I am anti war, so again, I don't fit the typical war monger American stereotype.

I hate that my country and my fellow Americans are perceived in poor light, and wonder if there is not a subtle media campaign (or baltant in other countries) to depict America in a bad light?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf

As a typical american, and on behalf of other typical americans, you are welcome to leave anytime. Instead of blaming americans for your failures, have you considered the fact that you may lack talent, intellegence and the work ethic necessary to be successful here? Sounds like you don't have the capability to compete, which is really you're problem.

I think you need to read the entirety of my post before you go ranting, this is typical of humanity, humanity cares not for it's neighbors to the east/ west south north...or the neighboring species in their own bacyard... Humanity is an ill concieved failure. IMO, the world would be better for every other living thing in the world without a human to destroy or pillage it... And suicide isn't a option for me...because I am unlike most of humanity, not one to run out on my responsibilities and I do have some...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Have you thought - there are stereotypes for a reason? Stereotypes didn't just materialise out of the ether.
The thing to remember is that not everyone fulfills the stereotype.
Here are some stereotypes.
Scots are 'tight' with their money.
Irish are stupid
English are boring/uptight
Americans are fat with no idea of world geography.
Runs and ducks....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join