It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male star leads field hockey team. Is he an unfair edge?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Male star leads field hockey team. Is he an unfair edge?

[url=http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Male-star-leads-field-hockey-team-Is-he-an-unfa?urn=highschool-285871]rivals.yahoo.com[/u rl]

Wyoming Seminary in Forty Fort, Pa., is a traditional field hockey powerhouse, so it's no surprise that it's back in contention for a state title, with a berth in the state championship game on the line Wednesday afternoon in Seminary's faceoff with Crestwood (Pa.) High (the semifinal against Crestwood was originally scheduled for Tuesday afternoon but was postponed by bad weather). What is surprising is how Seminary is advancing through the playoffs, on the back of a male player who is singlehandedly dominating all Seminary's opponents.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Figured I'd bring in a little light humor to todays death march into oblivion scare threads that are the norm around here.

So, how does everybody feel about this. A guy playing in a women's sport. Personally, i think that it is funny that if and when women want to play men's sports (football, wrestling, etc.) they are allowed to now and are looked at as groundbreaking but when it goes the opposite way like this then the competitors cry out that its unfair.

[url=http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Male-star-leads-field-hockey-team-Is-he-an-unfa?urn=highschool-285871]rivals.yahoo.com[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
sorry, dont know why the link isnt coming in right, little help please from a mod?

rivals.yahoo.com...

that should be it up there, thnx in advance

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The guy should feel ashamed that he is playing a womans sport and dominating. Males physically have an athletic advantage over woman in any sport so it is unfair. That is why there are seperate events for men and women in the olympics. Men in general are stronger and faster.

In my optinion the guy is a tool and he should not be playing this sport. It's an embarassment.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

You will notice when women play Football or Wrestling it is same sex. Some women do want to play football with men, but I think they are hankering for brain damage. Men have more muscle mass than women do, this is why the sports are separated out. Frankly, I have to wonder if the guy can't play with other guys.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Although it may have that reputation, field hockey isn't just a girl's sport.

Why can't he find a men's team to play on ?

edit on 17-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Maybe the school doesn't offer a male field hockey team? Maybe he's there to score with the girls. Pun intended.
Me and a few of my buddies in high school were in Future Homemakers of America, and we weren't there for the cooking skills!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
No one is asking the most important question here.
Does he get to shower with the rest of the team after the game? That could more then make up for any embarrassment he might feel about playing a "girls" sport

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by blamethegreys
Maybe the school doesn't offer a male field hockey team?

Well, that's just unfortunate for him.

He could just go and find the nearest men's hockey club, if we wants to play the sport. Or he could attempt to drum up interest in creating a men's team at his school.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Whatever happens should ultimately be left up to the league and the team. If the league has no problems, if their team or a majority of teams have no problem, then why is it a problem?

Yes, men typically have more muscle mass than women but does this mean women and men can't play the same sport together? Because if that's the argument, wouldn't ANYONE with ANY difference in muscle mass cause this same concern? Regardless of how you rationalize it, in the end it is the same situation. Do we ban people with higher than typical physical prowess because it's unfair?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Oh.. I was under the impression we were equal..
Women want to play mens sports.. Its should be equal... it isn't?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
Yes, men typically have more muscle mass than women but does this mean women and men can't play the same sport together? Because if that's the argument, wouldn't ANYONE with ANY difference in muscle mass cause this same concern? Regardless of how you rationalize it, in the end it is the same situation. Do we ban people with higher than typical physical prowess because it's unfair?

It's more than just muscle mass that make men and women different in sporting contests.

I personally don't think women's professional sport should exist, not just because it's dire and 4th-rate, but because the really good female athletes should be able to compete at some level of the men's professional game.

However, when it comes to amateur and school sport, everybody should have a chance to play a sport if they want to, and it makes sense to have teams based on gender, because most girls wouldn't be able to get into any school's unisex sports team.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I like how you claim I'm wrong and yet don't go into detail explaining how and why I'm wrong.

Clearly this supports what you say!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
I like how you claim I'm wrong and yet don't go into detail explaining how and why I'm wrong.

Clearly this supports what you say!

I didn't claim you were wrong. I was just pointing out that it's more than muscle mass that separates women and men in sporting endeavours.

I'm actually ( I think ) mostly in agreement with you.

All I am saying, is that the physical differences between a man and a woman, in sporting terms, are usually greater than those between one man and another; therefore, it makes reasonable sense to have school sporting teams divided on gender grounds.

edit on 17-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I admit to having mixed feeling about it. But to be fair, women are starting to earn places on men's sports teams when a women's equivalent is not offered. Most often as a kicker in football for instance. There is men's field hockey in other countries, including Germany where this boy is from. If there is not an option for him to play his chosen sport, then I can't logically disagree with it - but I think he should have to wear the same uniform as the rest of the team. Field hockey skirts m'boy!

Guess the girls will just have to play harder and smarter. My daughter plays soccer (9 yrs old) and her favorite thing is getting a chance to practice with the boys because, according to her, "they're more challenging and I learn more". Any surprise she's a dominating force in the league? So my gut feeling is that yes, it's unfair. Yes, it's an unfair advantage. He should find a league for men. But, logically, if women are going to insist on playing on the men's teams, then it's simply turnabout. Is it much different than having a phenomenal woman player on your team (like our 6'4" girl bball center in high school)?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio
reply to post by Erasurehead

Oh.. I was under the impression we were equal..
Women want to play mens sports.. Its should be equal... it isn't?

If men and woman are truly equal, why are there seperate events for men and woman in the olympics?
Why is there a PGA tour for mens golf and a seperate Womans PGA tour? Why do Woman play in different tennis tournaments than the men?

It's because physically men and woman are not equal. That's a fact.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is just another example of the gender neutral society we are becoming. Its also an example of the lawyer obsessed culture. The school obviously had no choice but to let this idiot play because if they didn't he probably would have sued them

This is disgusting and frankly I'm embarrassed someone of my gender would do this. men and women are DIFFERENT! No gender is better then the other just different and its becoming increasingly taboo to even acknowledge it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by dizzie56

You will notice when women play Football or Wrestling it is same sex. Some women do want to play football with men, but I think they are hankering for brain damage. Men have more muscle mass than women do, this is why the sports are separated out. Frankly, I have to wonder if the guy can't play with other guys.

actually, in my high school there was a girl on the wrestling team, trust me she wasnt wrestling other chicks. And on a football team that we played my freshman or sophmore year there was a chick on the oppossing team, defensive tackle if i remember correctly or maybe a noseguard (yes, big and ugly), but she played against us, an all guys team.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Best comment on yahoo.

"Title IX giveth, and Title IX taketh away."

Rules are rules, and Wyoming Seminary doesn't offer a men's field hockey team.

Edit to add:

I don't think he is the only male player in the league, quote from link:

" and the only boy on the field in practically all of 24-2 Seminary's games"

Bold by me.

Looks like this is just an issue because he is being dominant.

"The numbers of boys playing for girls field hockey teams is small but growing across the USA. In the 2009-10 school year, according to a survey by the National Federation of State High School Associations, 308 boys were on girls teams compared with 174 the year before, but the twist on Title IX is not without controversy."

Source

edit on 17-11-2010 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2010 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Maybe the guy is queer and feels more comfortable playing on an all female team. I find it hard to believe the league would even alow it. On the other hand, fair is fair, and if women can play on a men's sports team, why not the other way around. I somehow think one good whack with a stick will remind this character that queer or not, he is still physically male, and as such does have an unfair advantage over the other teams. Love your Avatar!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join