It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does movement through space create time?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I am curious if movement through space actually causes time to exist? The faster you move through space the slower time acts on the objects moving. It would seem to me if you slow down time would speed up.

But what if you stoped in relation to space? If you lanched a probe and sent it directly away from the path of our Galaxy to the point where it was at rest in space in relation to the speed our galaxy moves or in relation to the speed of light, would time even exist?

If that probe had a telescope what would it see in a place where time does not exist? Seems like this would be an easy experiment to test. if you turned on a laser on this probe would it even emit light or would that light be traped due to time not existing like in a black hole?

If an object is not moving in relation to space does time exist?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I was always under the impression that the movement of the second, minute and hour hands of my watch moving through space creates time.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I think that each point in space is also a point in time, we pass though space and thus time. Just my opinion for what its worth :-)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Nice idea,find out how fast the universe is expanding then make your object travel that speed but in the opposite direction then the object would be the only body in space that was truly not moving. Kind of like walking the wrong way on a treadmill or travelator to maintain the same position as somebody standing on the ground next to you.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

You made me think of another thing. If you continued to slow down you or a probe would begin to age so quickly that you would likely die or the probe decay before actually stoping in relation to space. Im not using data or don't have a clue what the time differential would be but its an interesting musing.

Perhaps anything that actually stops in space returns to particle form?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

I think your onto something, perhaps if you could make a chunk of matter become truely stationary in space then it would reach a singularity ( time moving to infinity).

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
I am curious if movement through space actually causes time to exist? The faster you move through space the slower time acts on the objects moving. It would seem to me if you slow down time would speed up.

But what if you stoped in relation to space? If you lanched a probe and sent it directly away from the path of our Galaxy to the point where it was at rest in space in relation to the speed our galaxy moves or in relation to the speed of light, would time even exist?

If that probe had a telescope what would it see in a place where time does not exist? Seems like this would be an easy experiment to test. if you turned on a laser on this probe would it even emit light or would that light be traped due to time not existing like in a black hole?

If an object is not moving in relation to space does time exist?

the slower time acts if you are moving fast??...or the faster something is moving the less time it needs?

If you slow down, time speeds up??... or more time passes by?

the further apart two things are, the more time is needed for something to traverse from one to the other or the faster you need to go, more energy spent.

the more space between stuff there is, the more time is needed or spent. It's relative to the "stuff" in question.

I was asking a question on another forum about beings from another planet being accustomed to a different time dilation that humans and the answer I got was "time is time"... I guess there's no real way to argue with that but what I meant is like, I dunno, different sleep patterns and what-not. It seems they would be wired differently according to their planetary 'stuff" I guess. I learned it was relative and that's sounds reasonable to me. I'd be interested in hearing other theories just so long as I don't have to taste them as they are being shoved down my throat. (joke in light of another thread where someone was talking about time)

edit on 17-11-2010 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'll answer your question with a few more questions

Does time make sense without space? Can time exist with no matter, no physical reality? Can time exist without motion in general? Is time a logical and reasonable concept if there is no space?

Does space make sense without time? Can space exist without the passage of time? Can space exist without motion (the relationship between space and time is motion)? Is space a logical and reasonable concept if there is no time?

I recommend you look into a system of theory called the Reciprocal System. All the books written by its creator and much more are all online for free at their website - www.rstheory.org. The first book, which explains all the basics of the theory, can be found here - library.rstheory.org... I'd start on that book. In fact, I haven't read any of the books besides most of the first one (it's called Nothing But Motion), and my mind is still officially blown a year or so later, lol. This might be the first true complete unified field theory.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

Sounds very interesting and just the sort of read I like thanks for the info

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
isn't it Mass that creates time?
It's mass from objects that bends space?

Each galaxy is a clock and just works like a clock.

Your movement through space would create time if you could create an extreme amount of weight.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetsuo
I'll answer your question with a few more questions

Does time make sense without space? Can time exist with no matter, no physical reality? Can time exist without motion in general? Is time a logical and reasonable concept if there is no space?

Does space make sense without time? Can space exist without the passage of time? Can space exist without motion (the relationship between space and time is motion)? Is space a logical and reasonable concept if there is no time?

I recommend you look into a system of theory called the Reciprocal System. All the books written by its creator and much more are all online for free at their website - www.rstheory.org. The first book, which explains all the basics of the theory, can be found here - library.rstheory.org... I'd start on that book. In fact, I haven't read any of the books besides most of the first one (it's called Nothing But Motion), and my mind is still officially blown a year or so later, lol. This might be the first true complete unified field theory.

not if it's relative to the other stuff.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

i would think that the processes of chemical reactions, and the vibration of things like cesium atoms
are elements that make 'time' happen.

Now if all those physics Laws stopped... time would indeed stop running, but also the universe would be in a state of suspended animation... there's no gain or reason to stop time because it could not be restarted

If an individual or spaceship could be totally seperated from the fabric of space, they would be in
a 'wormhole' and essentially fall outside the observable universe...the speed of this 'fall' , would
be at the same rate the universe expands and the galaxy rotates and the local solar system resonates.
...i.e. letting the world go by, to an outside observer

i've often pondered that instantaneous travel could be had by 'stopping' ones motion through space,
instead of propelling ones velocity through our various landscapes

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Right (as far as I can tell at least) - Time and Space are distinct but inseparable. They are necessary components of motion, which forms the basis of physical (and nonphysical) realities. Neither space nor time have any meaningful purpose alone. Motion necessitates movement through space AND time - there can be no movement or meaningful change in the world with only space or only time. I think that space and time are resultant properties of motion or functions of motion, and not the other way around. This is a point that science has a really hard time with, lol.

edit: I should say that if there is NO space or NO time, then we have a problem. However, unity/singularity/true simultaneity of either space or time or both would be plausible - that's total realization of potential of space or time, not total lack of space or time.
edit on 17-11-2010 by tetsuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Seventytwo

I think of time as being two things , the first being our perception of it, i.e feeling the passage of time counting out a minute in seconds sitting through a boring film etc. The second is the effect time has on us and objects matter etc. In other words decay. We and almost everything around us is suffering from decay caused by not time itself but elements such as oxygen rust mould whatever causes an object to decay. Therefore if you placed a gold bar that doesn't decay or tarnish in a vacuum time would stand still for that gold bar. I think It would be impossible to tell how long it had been in the vacuum without it being monitored from the start.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Google "relativity."

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Maybe time only exists because we percieve it to? Possibly an advanced alien race could choose not to percieve time? would they stop aging, and could they be anywhere instantly since time no longer exists for them?
Sorry if I went off topic.
edit on 17-11-2010 by watchitburn because: ?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Its other elements that age objects and us so whether you perceived it or not gravity and oxygen are still going to do their damage . And that damage is accumulative over time.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Maybe time only exists because we percieve it to? Possibly an advanced alien race could choose not to percieve time? would they stop aging, and could they be anywhere instantly since time no longer exists for them?
Sorry if I went off topic.
edit on 17-11-2010 by watchitburn because: ?

so you are saying that prolonged life is about not *choosing* to perceive time?

Why do I get the feeling there are more secrets to that than just this alone?

Singularity, no accounting for time- I get. Circumventing the effects of time- I get.
Simply making the choice that time doesn't exist?- Sounds more like teasing, but who knows... i am not that well acquainted with aliens.

i can tell you that what I saw in holograms also appeared to be, perhaps, be using superconductor material. I cannot wrap my head around teleportation of an organic life form unless that life form was highly altered to adapt to such conditions, which I assume would take calculated energy, lots of it and rearrangements of atoms which i would think an organic life form could not survive.
edit on 17-11-2010 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I dont know if this is relevant to your post but, when i was younger it took me ages to be able to tell the time, I dont think I could tell the time until I was about 13 years old, I just couldnt get my head around how a clock or watch could measure the passing of time, and no matter how simple someone(usually my grandad) made it for me I just couldnt get my head around it at all

But then again I have allways had trouble with remembering numbers and been bad at maths too. so maybe it was because of that. I think im number dyslexic or something.. if that exists

As for the OP Im not sure on that mate. It got me thinking though, If it takes time to get from one end of the universe to the other, What would time be like if you could observe the universe from the outside of it? and does the universe expierance time? As everything we know including time is inside of it.

Im not to clued up on all this though, so im sure some genius will be along soon and tell me to go back to school

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

Thank you for the link. Will read it today. I think space makes sence without time yet...if you stoped in relation to space and like I mentioned above returned to quantum particle form due to time moving so rapidly for you that space would not have any further effect on your particles. I think quantum world is essentialy timeless thus entanglement so in a manner of speaking space would no longer exist for your particles.

The more I go into this idea the more it seems like we are describing the interior of a black hole. Black holes do move through space though...or does space move around black holes?

So hmm maybe before time existed all mater was quantum and not moving in space. So lol the creation event would have just had to be something that got that ball of quantum particles to start moving and experience the effects of time.

If the creation event did not include a singularity and instead a universe of quatum particles that were all "Stoped" in space then just one moving particle could have caused a cascading event through space making all particles experience time through movement.

So if you will "God" would have only had to poke one particle into another to get the ball rolling. Since entanglement occurs across distances maybe that one poke cause all particles to experience time through movement through space.

Collisions happend, energy created, heat, cooling and matter formed.!

SO all that had to exist before time would be space and some timeless quantum particles. Add some motion "God" or what ever and you have created us!

OK maybe I've gone of my rocker this morning but fun to speculate and muse.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join