It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FERMILAB Experiments Show Hints of NEW PARTICLE !!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
fermilab is engaged in neutrino research.A side shoot of this endeavor is showing promise of revealing a brand new particle.
not only a new particle, but perhaps the answer to the darkmatter theory and other breakthroughs as well?
This just may be the one that puts us into the heart of quantum reality folks.....

www.popsci.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Wow. Big news. Immune to the weak force... I want to know more.

Too bad nobody on ATS will care. They all like to think they're nerds, and ufologists, but only when the term "ufologist" means watching 20 second youtube clips of blurry airplanes, and only when the term nerd means being awkward with the ladies.

Watch as the biggest news in physics since the discovery of dark energy in the late 20th century gets washed down the board to the bone yard of dead threads.

And then watch how all the involved scientists at Fermi-labs lose their grants and get blacklisted in the industry for going against the grain. The science police can't put up with these terrorist acts on their beloved, impeccable theories.. The same theories which can't even explain why an electron doesn't crash into the nucleus...
edit on 17-11-2010 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

I'm a nerd. I used to always post this kind of stuff and would maybe get 2 or 3 replies, and then it was just me so I stopped posting the threads.

This will be big news when proven, they have to disprove the standard model to continue the advancement of physics.

I mean they still do not understand super fluids or super conductors yet.

Thanks for the info!!

Pred...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I can't wait until they replace the standard model with whatever theories come after it...

mostly so I can throw it in the face of all the people on ATS that go on(and off) and on about how things work based on something(the standard model) that is entirely just our perception of the way things are...

these same people would have fought hard to make us believe that the sun revolved around a flat Earth in the past, and I am a bit sick of hearing their rhetoric...

looking forward to further revelations from Fermilab

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kalisdad

We are at the infancy of understanding physics, and the paradigm shifts coming up we could probably not even understand now.

I try and be open minded when going through the deeper physics as although we have theories we really have no idea what the hell is going on. Some theories have more solid ground than the next but research has to be done as what to use and what to figure out.

I like the tried and tested theories but if we just stay within those and never extend then we will never advance. We have to think outside of the box to get anywhere. And if you have to think outside if the box why not get rid of it?

Pred...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...(physics)

so, who cares if they redfine physics? If the observer is in affect changing reality by simple observation, what does intention, and perspective do to the oberservation. or matter?

Physics= observation + focus + perspective + experience + intention = universe around you?(matter) along these lines anyway...

i s and f for opening up a topic for intellectual conversation

edit on 17-11-2010 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Not so long ago we could only detect neutrinos by going deep inside the earth with huge 'tanks' of carbon tetrachloride. The tanks were lined with sensors to detect the tiny flash of light that occurs when a neutrino is 'captured' by the carbon tetrachloride.
Now we can produce a beam of ANTI-neutrinos, and control and direct that beam..... using it to discover new particles!
Absolutely incredible!
I hope these guys keep pulling rabbits out o' that hat!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
We're headed for revelations in physics — perhaps within our lifetimes — that will, frankly, leave the physicists of the 20th Century gaping in disbelief.

All of my life I've followed the progress of research into completing the great Unified Field Theory of Matter and Energy. The elusive link between gravitation and more easily-manipulated forces such as heat, light and electricity has long eluded us, mainly because that link resides, probably, within the 5th Dimension, just beyond our grasp.

With a complete understanding of the link between gravitation and electricity, for example, we could switch gravitation on and off at will. Which would turn our technology on its head, take us into the realm of hyperspace and faster-than-light propulsion and all of those wonders previously relegated to the pages of science fiction.

We could be looking at those wonders within our lifetimes.

— Zesko Whirligan

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Zesko Whirligan

Here you go my friend. This theory (with math to back it up) might be what you're looking for.
peswiki.com/index.php/Review:_Anti-Gravity_/_Cold_Fusion_Explained_In_Detail:_A_New_Era_in_Physics
edit on 17-11-2010 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I gave this thread a star. I believe it deserves it a whole lot more than some that got a lot of stars especially threads predicting doomsday in 3 days, 5 days or whatever number of days you choose based on some cartoon or someone's made up theory. This thread discusses cutting edge new discoveries instead of fantasy.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Well, look at where physics has taken us in just the last 100 years, compared to the entire previous recorded history of Mankind. In a single century, we have leapt to heights of technical sophistication that would leave our predecessors gawking, speechless.

My favorite author, Sir Arthur C. Clarke, once observed that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I would only amend to add "depending on the audience."

To any audience from the late 19th Century back to prehistoric times, the scientific advances of the 20th Century would seem as magical as anything described in the tales of King Arthur.

Well, as sophisticated as we think we are at the moment, we're actually on the threshold of technological advances that will leave us gaping in disbelief, within just a few years. The magic is nearly upon us. As we move into the fantastic area of gravity manipulation, whole new vistas of travel and communications and, well, everything will open up before us.

I mean, with gravity manipulation — which may yield breakthroughs in other areas, such as manipulation of molecular attraction — we're talking about technological advances that could, conceivably, make Star Trek look like yesterday's news.

Think of building entire cities at ground level and then levitating them effortlessly into earth orbit.

Think of artificial gravity in space ships, eliminating the deadly atrophy that afflicts long-term space travelers.

Think of gravity-wave propulsion and anti-friction components, not only for starships, but for earthly vehicles, as well. We're talking about machines that run forever on no fuel and that may never wear out.

Within our lifetimes?

Possibly.

— Zesko Whirligan

edit on 11/17/2010 by Zesko Whirligan because: typo

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zesko Whirligan

Within our lifetimes?

Possibly.

— Zesko Whirligan

edit on 11/17/2010 by Zesko Whirligan because: typo

I wish

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I do not know if this is related , because my science powers are lacking in some areas so I might have confused two different experiments
but here is another interesting article that I found some time ago . (I could have sworn that I made a thread about it but , cant find it :/ )

www.sciencenews.org...

edit on 17/11/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I love these new developments, so flag. Can't wait for the definitive results.
I've always wondered if there could be people in another dimension that one day detect the results from one of our experiments. You never know, could lead to some sort of interdimensional phone. Now that would be incredible.

Seeing as this particle appears to only interact via gravity, and the mystery of the disappearing gravitons has not been solved as far as I know, means this particle could in fact be a way to communicate between dimensions, if this is in fact where the vanishing gravitons are going.

I'm sure someone; somewhere is going to detect what we're up to at some point.

Here is a working link as the one posted seems to be broken.

www.popsci.com.au...
edit on 17-11-2010 by ppk55 because: added more + working link

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Good lord i thought the thread would slip off into peaceful unremarked oblivion.
Just like a few others ive put up....Forgive me for not retrning post haste as it were (pun intended)to attend this discussion.

There are some possibilities that could be predicted by a physicist i thought, or maybe its too soon....
The good news is the BIG BROTHER BOON is probably gonna be forthcomming in the near future, (with this kind of fundamental departure from the standard model, you can be sure scientists the world over are sharpening up their pencils, and perhaps buying new pocket protectors for them too.
"Is there a doctor in the house?" he asked, "or even someone with their masters?"
A whole bunch of us would appeciate some kind of laymans interpretation of the postulated thresholds this could lead to......
I am thinking faster than light communications(instantaneous?),or gravity control,
Just think if we could nullify even a signifigant part of the gravity drag on a vehicle, speed and manuverability, as wll as fuel economy woud all improve exponentially.
Speaking of which, i just thought of the B2 Spirit, and its rumoured ion wing configuration...i wonder hmmmm...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I beg to differ about members on ats. Things such as this are why I come here, especially when people who know what they are talking about comment. STAR AND FLAG for ya. I cannot wait until LHC at CERN reveals more information, its like being a kid the night before Christmas except all of these damn experiments take for ever lol. I also recall a show on NatGeo Channel that did an experiment to find dark matter. They took chests with instruments that could detect dark matter and stored them deep in a cave for quite a while and the results were very interesting. If I can find it on the web I'll post it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by kalisdad

I try and be open minded when going through the deeper physics as although we have theories we really have no idea what the hell is going on. Some theories have more solid ground than the next but research has to be done as what to use and what to figure out.

I like the tried and tested theories but if we just stay within those and never extend then we will never advance. We have to think outside of the box to get anywhere. And if you have to think outside if the box why not get rid of it?

Pred...

And you think my beliefs are silly... at least they never change lol. Just messing with you pred

Actually through my beliefs and this guy named Missler, I have learned a great deal about physics. You would be astounded at how much my "fairy tales" book illuminates on this area.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Endure because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

How about we watch you be a cynic. ? Dude, have some hope.
Second line,
WS

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I told you...

"Physicists working with a Fermilab neutrino experiment may have found a new elementary particle whose behavior breaks the known laws of physics".

I bet the team at the LHC is sweating right now. Their whole concept of safety has just been completely shattered. As now all their calculations of what would happen at 14 TeV could be and are likely to be inaccurate, as they do not account for 1) this new particle and 2) the laws of physics are incomplete at best, and entirely wrong at worst.

Why is it that we have to label the people who raise legitimate questions on the safety of the LHC as idiots? Are we really that arrogant? Are we so drunk on science that we consider these type of people to be a buzz kill? I find it more likely to believe the majority of these scientists don't want to admit they have no clue what they are getting into. So they have to silence the people who pose a threat to their ego, and they abuse their status to do so.
edit on 17-11-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
See, I think the problem with this type of thread is that your average, everyday person, knows a handful of nothing about physics (or really anything else posted here). Hence the reason threads that ACTUALLY mean something and are not based on speculation or clouded truth leave ZERO room for conjecture.

Just my thinking behind that. Also, I assume this is cool stuff, but I know nothing about physics. So, thank you for bringing potentially awesome information to us. Sorry we dont know as much as you'd like us to.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join