It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever feel guilty for being the unwitting accomplice in this global "conspiracy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The conspiracy that redistributes the wealth from third world countries to us, the people who live life in complete ignorance of the real price for our material excess?

Let me elaborate:

Your cellphones, computers, and televisions require rare earth minerals. Where do they come from? Well, China seems to control most of the supply. But where does China get these "conflict minerals" from? The Democratic Republic of the Congo, among other nations where slave labor is still very much a fact of life. Very often I think to myself, someone somewhere in Africa has lost his/her mother at a young age and lost a limb or two for insubordination for me to have this computer which is not even essential to my survival, although the system make it very difficult to survive without it. This system which conditions our minds from infancy to live a life of excess and purchase things we really don't need.

Before my rant becomes an incoherent mess that I think it has already become, I'll state my question: Do you ever feel guilty that the choices you make in your life contribute to the crap that goes on in third world countries. Do you feel responsible, without your expressed consent but with your full ignorant support, for the mass suffering all over the world?

I think about this all the time. I am graduating a business school coming May and can't see myself working for the system, going through life with this dreaded guilt. I might force myself to remain ignorant and be happy with the fact that I am lucky enough to live in a developed nation. Most likely, however, I think I will join the peace corps or some other non-profit organization that allows you to volunteer overseas. What about you my ATS brethren?
edit on 16-11-2010 by frozenspark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I feel abused. And I feel depressed because I have not been able to correct this mess.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Honestly I couldnt possibly care any less about 3rd world countries, slave labor, or conflict minerals.

If it saves me money, and makes life easier, thats more money/time I can devote to my family.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Well, stop using the computer. Then travel overseas to africa, and join some resistance movement. You think the peace corps will bring change to something like this through non-violence? Right.

The poster above me makes me "lol" as they say.
edit on 16-11-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

I think that if so many people would practice what they preach and truly treat others the way they would like to be treated then, yes, I think difference can be made in this world. The problem is, however, we live in a capitalistic society that pins individuals AGAINST one another. That is no way for a society, and this planet as a whole, to flourish.
edit on 16-11-2010 by frozenspark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Do you ever feel guilty that the choices you make in your life contribute to the crap that goes on in third world countries. Do you feel responsible, without your expressed consent but with your full ignorant support, for the mass suffering all over the world?

No not ever. Of course they will make the goods & we will buy them. Blame the corporations & dictators in those countries. It's not your fault. I don't care why should you?

I am graduating a business school coming May and can't see myself working for the system

You are pretty young & idealistic still . Wait a few years start a family & your opinion will be very different. You won't care where something come from or who got hurt producing it. You will fall into the system just to support your kids!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

Yea it sucks being born into a problem. Fortunately it's impossible for developed nations to continue such a lifestyle and it's highly speculated as well as calculated we will see crisis's as a direct result from such in our lifetime.

The thing is to raise your kids with the knowledge you've gained so they can at least be a neutral effect even grow up to become in a position to steer the course of burning the candles at both ends.

Maximization of our resources.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
Honestly I couldnt possibly care any less about 3rd world countries, slave labor, or conflict minerals.

If it saves me money, and makes life easier, thats more money/time I can devote to my family.

Wow. And you say this about devoting more time to your family with the audicty to have the screen name "Big Time Cheater."

To answer the OP's OQ, as it were, yes I often think about the implications of my lifestyle. While my own lifestyle is quite sparse compared to the average suburbanite, I do own a computer (a couple), a cellphone and a vehicle. However, I'm also acutely aware of how entrenched this lifestyle is in the US. Thankfully, it's on it's own downhill spiral and neither I nor any other average consumer has or can do much to accelerate the decline.

We'll see the end of it in our lifetimes and nothing has to "bring it on" but itself.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

The problem being is that not many people will do that, and attempts to force it upon people is ironically causing the loss of liberty. All you can do is fight for you what you believe in. As long as there are two people on this Earth there will be disagreements, and with disagreements can come conflicts, whether short or long-term. The only time the human race will probably stop fighting amongst themselves or atleast reduce the amount of conflicts significantly is when they are presented with a bigger problem, whether that be an extra-terrestrial species invading, an asteroid en route, or some kind of epidemic that has an identifiable entity to rally against.

I understand what you say, it pisses me off just as much when people complain and complain about the "wrongs" they perceive in the world but do not do anything about it. Which is why I say, if you believe in something so strongly, go fight for it. Fighting for something can lead to negative consequences for you, but in the end, the people that fought for the cause might die more fulfilled than having lived a life of perpetual hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Control

Wow. And you say this about devoting more time to your family with the audicty to have the screen name "Big Time Cheater."

And what is wrong with that? my sentiments exactly!
edit on 17-11-2010 by phatpackage because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Control

Perhaps you should spend more time putting thought into your comments and less time making ridiculous assumptions.

Who said that my name has anything to do with infidelity?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

I took it as Coffin Cheaters MC

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

At least your honest in your opinion.

2nd line.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I could say yes to this question, but I might just be trying to make myself feel better.

No, actually... yes... I do. I do not like being caught up in these wheels but I have done everything I can do to be totally and completely irresponsible when it comes to life. I think I'm doing a fine job.

Lemme ask you this... what if we boycotted a lot of this consumerism. Everyone. What do you think would happen?
Other than making those who hold the power find other ways to keep holding it? I mean, if you can't make slaves out of people, what good are they alive in the first place?

top topics

join