It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"FDA Bans Caffeine In Alcoholic Beverages?"

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
Thanks for the education, I have no idea what Loko max is, I presume something similar to Red Bull though?

No problem. Good questions you asked !
Actually Loko max has almost 3 times the caffeine as red bull and loko has 12% alcohol in it on top of that. The mixture of a stimulant and depressant is dangerous.

I've had the odd VodBull here and there and not really noticed anything untoward as a result. Maybe it's more to do with the volume that one consumes, as I'm not overly keen on either Vodka or Red Bull, I've never been tempted to drink that many.

These extreme drinks are much more potent because of the high caffeine levels.

Having said that, drinking too much of any alcoholic beverage is bad for you - possibly lethally so, so I still say it should be left down to personal restraint, rather than government intervention.

I think the main difference is that one of the loko maxes can be dangerous.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

....and if we go by your logic (which is ridiculously flawed), we can just allow any person on the street, and any corporation, to create and sell a food product that kills people near instantly.

How on Earth can you sit there and compare parachuting to this mixed drug in a can???

Before parachuting, you not only are warned about the risks, but you have to sign a release form which confirms you understand the risks and that you won't accuse someone if something goes wrong, and you have to go through training. You don't have to do all that stuff to buy a drink in a store! Your example is ridiculously flawed.

Also, it isn't the failing parachute that killed the person. The person jumped from high altitude, that is what killed him.
edit on 17-11-2010 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
reply to post by mnemeth1

reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

Appeal to emotions is all I see here...

Choice and freedom.... yes, hide behind those two words to make a point.

So I guess you support the choice and freedom of corporations to take your life?

Yes, you see emotion, you also see logic and you see independence,
you should also see need,
need of autonomy, responsibility, accountability and self control.
There's also the need for intelligence and those with little will weed themselves out of the gene pool,
sound mean or hard, well it shouldnt, its been abandoned for too long and the payout has been an increasing population of hand held idiots unable to take care of themselves, their present or their future.
If the insistance to babysit is the only option available now, what will be required 2 decades 4 decades from now?

The support of corporationsto take your life?
That sir has been happening without your approval for a very long long time already,
I understand your fear, but trust me, you dont need told what to do, you'd be alright making your own choices,
alot of us do it daily and turned out okay,
with no help from the government.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think they made the right decision here.... I work near a high school and many teens are addicted to this drink(4locos). A cousin of mine, drank two and half of them one time, and had to be taken to the hospital. There have been countless cases of high school students, even adults getting sick off of this drink. The big problem is that its available everywhere and its cheap, only a $2.50, and gets the job done quickly.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SammyG
I think they made the right decision here.... I work near a high school and many teens are addicted to this drink(4locos). A cousin of mine, drank two and half of them one time, and had to be taken to the hospital. There have been countless cases of high school students, even adults getting sick off of this drink. The big problem is that its available everywhere and its cheap, only a $2.50, and gets the job done quickly.

Indeed the problem is that it is cheap.

Of course, the ban was enacted because of its price, not its content.

The do gooders use children as the excuse, but the real reason they support it is racism.

I might add that the corporate oligarchy that controls the FDA had their own reasons which also involved price.

edit on 17-11-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by Daedalus24

It doesn't matter who it is designed to protect because:

1. Government can not save people from themselves.

2. Bans don't work - ever.

Bans don't work. We should never ban toxic substances in our drinking water or food because it never works. Yep, best not to ban ANYTHING for for any reason in any case.

3. Laws can only punish, never prevent.

Obviously because you keep rehashing this statement, you want to abolish all laws as well.

4. The State is not my nanny or mother

Yep we have no need for any type of government protection at all.

5. The ban is racist.

Yes because the suggested ban says that we're doing it to get back at black people.

Oh and lets not forget that the government did not ban these beverages. They were going to but the manufacturers agreed to reformulate their products before putting them back on the shelves. This means that your title is incorrect again

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Resorting to lies and distortions of truth pretty much means you've run out of anything useful to say.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
I read about a guy that ordered powdered caffeine.

He took a spoonful of it and it killed him.

I think they should ban caffeine, it is dangerous.

I also read about a person that drank a liter of everclear and died, I think they should ban that.

I also read about a person that drove a car and died, I think they should ban that.

I also read about a person that used pure oxygen in his scuba tank and died, I think they should ban oxygen.

Nope I have a better idea, how about a ban on just one thing, stupid people, that gets to the point way quicker.

There is a ban on stupid people it's called "Death" and it bans you from participating in "Life". There is a reason lawmakers would like to prevent stupid people from dying. Stupid people are easy to control.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

Before parachuting, you not only are warned about the risks

Exactly! A warning is sufficient. No need to ban. What part of it's up to the indiviual do you not understand?
Surely based on your reasoning, you think all medications should be banned as well?
Also, I didn't insult you, so why so harsh?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Wasnt there a meeting with the big boys first, (bud and his friends) to reformulate
and all of that happened, but the little alcopops werent in attendance?

en.wikipedia.org...(drink)
Several years ago, several US state attorneys general began active investigations of companies which produced and sold caffeinated alcohol beverages, on the grounds that they might be engaging in misleading marketing.[6] The attorneys general were also concerned that these drinks could pose health risks by masking feelings of intoxication.[7] Consequently, in December 2008, Anheuser-Busch, manufacturer of Tilt and Bud Extra, plus MillerCoors, manufacturer of Sparks agreed to reformulate their drinks.[1]

In 2009, smaller companies, such as Phusion fell under investigation because of their rise in market share.[1] On November 13, 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration warned Phusion and over two dozen other brewers and distillers whose drinks contained the “intentional addition of caffeine” that it was looking into the safety and legality of their beverages,[8] These companies may be forced to discontinue products such as Four, unless they can prove that the addition of caffeine to alcohol is “generally recognized as safe.”[4]

The drink has come under major fire as colleges and universities across the nation have begun to see injuries and blackouts due to the drink's use. The University of Rhode Island banned this product from their campus on November 5, 2010.[9] The state of Washington banned Four Loko after nine university students aged 17 to 19 from Central Washington University in Ellensburg, WA became ill at a house party in Roslyn, WA. The university students were hospitalized and one university student, with a blood alcohol level of .35, almost died.

Phusion has responded to these events by posting responsible drinking tips to their website. In addition to providing tips to their consumers, it also provides information to retailers outlining the safe distribution of their product.[10]

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

Before parachuting, you not only are warned about the risks

Exactly! A warning is sufficient. No need to ban. What part of it's up to the indiviual do you not understand?
Surely based on your reasoning, you think all medications should be banned as well?
Also, I didn't insult you, so why so harsh?

I love his parachuting example hahha.

I can see it now, I'm standing in the open doorway of a plane at 10,000 feet ready to crap my pants and the instructor stops me right before I'm about to jump and says:

"Sir, before you jump out of this plane you need to know something.

It might be hazardous to your health."

MAO MAO MOA

We need Stalin to just expropriate all of our property and lock us in rubber rooms to be safe from ourselves.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

How is the ban racist?

That is an outrageously stupid comment.

No, it is not.

If you understood the drinks in question you would understand why this ban is largely targeting minorities.

This was not directed at college kids.

Actually it's almost entirely about college kids as they are the ones showing up in emergency rooms.
Are you even researching this subject or did you just start up this thread to pull the race card??????

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
Yes, you see emotion, you also see logic and you see independence, you should also see need, need of autonomy, responsibility, accountability and self control.

I don't see any logic from you at all.

There's also the need for intelligence and those with little will weed themselves out of the gene pool,
sound mean or hard, well it shouldnt, its been abandoned for too long and the payout has been an increasing population of hand held idiots unable to take care of themselves, their present or their future.

Thank you for proving you are heartless and evil and wishes unintelligent people would die (weed themselves out of the gene pool).

Let's let all the unintelligent die before they have a chance to learn and become intelligent, that sounds like a plan (sarcasm).

What about being misled, and those who are misled? Even the most intelligent people in the world could be misled. So lets allow people and corporations to mislead people to their death, right? That seems to be what you are insisting? How heartless are you?

If the insistance to babysit is the only option available now, what will be required 2 decades 4 decades from now?

Babysit? That is what it is to you because you exaggerate the issue. This isn't just about protecting the unknowing or "the babies" from deadly combinations of drugs. It's about allowing people to sell deadly combinations of drugs.

The support of corporationsto take your life?
That sir has been happening without your approval for a very long long time already,

And YOU are supporting it!!

I understand your fear, but trust me, you dont need told what to do, you'd be alright making your own choices,
alot of us do it daily and turned out okay, with no help from the government.

It's not a fear, is a concern for others! I don't like to see people buying their death from a convince store. Obviously you don't care because you are heartless and evil, and you care more about your precious little drink than you do people.

Nobody is telling me what to do! Stop with your incorrect nonsense!
edit on 17-11-2010 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

How is the ban racist?

That is an outrageously stupid comment.

No, it is not.

If you understood the drinks in question you would understand why this ban is largely targeting minorities.

This was not directed at college kids.

Actually it's almost entirely about college kids as they are the ones showing up in emergency rooms.
Are you even researching this subject or did you just start up this thread to pull the race card??????

This is not about college kids.

This is about ensuring cheap alcohol is not available to poor people.

This is about ensuring the big boys don't get their profits dented by small time competitors.

This is about completely pointless regulation that accomplishes absolutely NOTHING other than to shut down small time competitors and prevent the free choice of individuals.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Nobama
You guys missed the point, these are two things that should never be mixed because it negates the effects of each other, You do realize there has been increase death among college students directly related to this? This is no conspiracy....

If they negate the effects of each other how can they cause a death? How can they cause any affect at all? They negate one another you say.

Alcohol poisoning is caused by over-consumption of alcohol. That's it. Not by some majic mixture.

Actually that's not accurate. The mixture of high levels of caffeine 200 + mg per drink and 12% alcohol combine and cause problems. You're mixing a depressant and a stimulate. This is a huge no no if you want to live.
They don't actually negate each others effects but give the perception that they do by the drinker.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

reply to post by maybereal11

People die from drinking jack and coke a thousand billion times more often than from Joose.

Please post your source.
Thanks.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

Resorting to lies and distortions of truth pretty much means you've run out of anything useful to say.

Look who is talking hypocrite. Your entire first post is revolving around your incorrect assumption that "caffeine is an unsafe additive".

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I can see right now our participation is over,
when it resorts and degrades to name calling and labeling ,I'm out!
Your 'gift' failed you,
you have no idea who I am or what I believe.
Thanks and take care.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
If people who mix stimulants with depressants are stupid, using that logic, people who smoke cigarettes are stupid. Cigarette smoking is still the #1 killer in America, am I right? If I'm wrong, I doubt it dropped below the top 5 killers in the past few years. Also, I highly doubt cigarette smoking kills less people, young and old, than caffeinated alcoholic beverages.

Those who argue that the drink "Four Loco" is highly addictive to High School students and the younger generation, I can think of something that is even more addictive, cigarettes! Plenty of kids still smoke cigarettes before and after school (sometimes even going as far as trying to light one inbetween classes). I know this from personal experience; I only graduated from my High School two years ago.

As others have said before I put my 2 cents into this debate, this is just another example of Corporate America using/abusing its power.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

reply to post by maybereal11

People die from drinking jack and coke a thousand billion times more often than from Joose.

Please post your source.
Thanks.

Unless Joose suddenly became one of the largest distilleries in the world overnight, I think it's safe to say Jack has them beat in consumption (and hence deaths) by a loooong loooong ways.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join