It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"FDA Bans Caffeine In Alcoholic Beverages?"

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I was just @ a friend's house and we were talking about this topic, and he told me that a guy from our town just died last weekend from downing 6 Four Loko's in the span of an hour.

I had no idea that they were 12% ABV!! That's insane.

Though that considered, I just don't see the reasoning of the FDA in this matter. Why don't they target the Four Loko brand instead of going after the entire product itself? What they're proposing is just crazy, and makes no sense whatsoever.

But then again, one could pose the question: Is there anything the FDA's done in recent time make any sense??

Bah.

edit on 17-11-2010 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

link   
No you're right there, I wish all the stupid people would eliminate themselves. I too am fed up with the stupid being catered for before the intelligent, wherever it be in laws or even just the 'programming' on TV. Reality TV?

And yes of course I don't like the Government taking advantage of people, I just don't see this specific example being any indication of that happening.

link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by buddhasystem

coc aine has to be processed with acids and other caustics

a) Not necessarily, traditional way if ingestion is chewing the leaves
b) it can be purified to a high degree, just like caffeine

but that aside, how does me blowing 10 rails of coc aine affect your life?

Frankly, I'd get so jealous, there is no telling what I'll be up to

Seriously, I do believe that drug is bad. You know that too, despite what you are about to answer.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Thank god people like you are here to prevent stupid people from injuring themselves.

You'll need a government issued badge and a weapon to accomplish this task.

Because stopping people from hurting themselves can be dangerous business.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

You're aware I can take your post, change certain key words around, and use what you say in support for any nanny state maneuver no matter how Orwellian, right?

You're aware how STUPID this makes what you are saying, right?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by susp3kt
I was just @ a friend's house and we were talking about this topic, and he told me that a guy from our town just died last weekend from downing 6 Four Loko's.

Damn, I had no idea that they were 12.0% ABV!!

Wow.

I venture to say that I personally wouldn't die from this amount, but other people's mileage (or lack thereof) will vary.

12% is indeed quite high. I didn't know that.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

You're aware a jagerbomb has MORE alcohol, MORE caffeine, in LESS volume than a four loko, right?

No seriously, I'm still waiting for someone to explain this out. It's been what, 16 pages? Come on people, clearly if this is the intelligent and sensible decision clearly you can give an intelligent and sensible reason as to why Jagerbombs aren't going to be banned because of this.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Seriously, I do believe that drug is bad. You know that too, despite what you are about to answer.

Chewing leaves is ingesting coca, not coc aine, which is a derivative product.

I fully agree doing drugs is bad. I do not condone or advise anyone consume any drugs, including caffeine, alcohol, marijuana, coc aine, '___', or anything else.

I am against the use of all drugs.

However, I am more against the use of violence, so I accept that people will do stupid things to themselves and that I have no right to use violence against them to stop them from doing so as long as they aren't hurting anyone else in the process.

Violence against the innocent is wrong.

edit on 17-11-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by susp3kt
I was just @ a friend's house and we were talking about this topic, and he told me that a guy from our town just died last weekend from downing 6 Four Loko's.

Damn, I had no idea that they were 12.0% ABV!!

Why don't they just target that particular brand instead of going after the entire product itself? This is just crazy.

Thanks for making my point even more clear.

That guy was an irresponsible idiot. Lets punish everyone because of his stupidity.

Where does "common sense" factor in?

People are always going to abuse things. That's the INDIVIDUAL's fault.

Show me where someone has dried from drinking 1 of these "loko" drinks.

(Do note I'm not an insensitive prick, and it's terrible he died, but this illustrates my point)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

coc aine has to be processed with acids and other caustics, which is why it wears your nose out.

When you break my basement window in the middle of the night and start beating the Sh* out of my kids because you are "Raging for a fight".

Cocaine is not a drug to be defending. It is probably the most dangerous drug to people around you when you are on it. You would not say otherwise if you have done it. Cocaine makes you want drama so that you can inflate your "blow ego". Furthermore, people who get addicted to drugs like heroine and coc aine often end up needing to be on financial aid or attend tax-funded rehabilitation centers, so that affects other people in the sense that they are paying your way out of your decision to slowly kill yourself...

Drugs like marijuana, mushrooms, even '___'... they're only illegal because the FDA doesn't have a patent for them and they can't make money off of it. I WONDER WHY THEY ARE TRYING TO BAN ALCOHOL AND CAFFEINE?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Dude, it's because no one can & will. I assure you.

It's like the FDA & other US govt agencies try to enact laws & restrictions such as this just to tick us off.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If the FDA was truly looking out for the public why would they say all of these drugs are fit for the public when they all have 3-4 pages of side effects which are often worse than the malady this new drug is supposed to help?

I have a friend that took a medication for epilepsy and it made him blind. His family found out that other people had the same tragic result. The drug manufacturer directed them to the FDA, the FDA said "well if you read the warning label it does say may cause blindness"

Thanks FDA!

With this whole caffeine and alcohol thing its just a big waste of time. They're trying to make it look like they're "actually doing something." People will still mix red bull with vodka, people will still drink too much and need emergency medical care. Who are they trying to fool?
edit on 17-11-2010 by WhiteDevil013 because: the FDA is useless

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Tried it twice in high school. Never tried it again. Boy did I act like an ass on that stuff.

I would just be jealous of anyone that could actually afford to have a coc aine problem in todays economy!

I should look up stats and see if the coke market was hit by the economic downturn.

Tidbit...Coca-cola originally opted for the Coca leaf (Cocaine) when it first came out...thus the name. Of course now they use caffeine.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
To anyone who thinks that the FDA has ever banned something to "protect your health" rather than to "turn a profit"...

It must be nice to be so ridiculously sheltered.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Don't say it, PROVE it.

I still find your responses to be some of the most ridiculous posts that I've EVER seen on this site. Your crusade against the FDA is illogical as well. Without the FDA, companies could put rat poison in their products and sell it to people as a "stimulant" and if people died from it? They'd be # out of luck.

edit on 17-11-2010 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Brood

You would not say otherwise if you have done it.

I would.

But then again, I don't support banning things because people are stupid. Because if I did, I would literally ban everything and just lock every person up in a small little box where they can't do anything.

Even hard drugs can be done responsibly. I know a guy in his 30's who makes over 100,000 a year and a wife. He also enjoys smoking a little meth every once and a while (2/3 time a month).

Cocaine has been heavily used here in America since the 60's and 70's and just like....say for everything in the world, lots of people did stupid things on it. But more people did it and just had a good time.

link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
If the FDA was truly looking out for the public why would they say all of these drugs are fit for the public when they all have 3-4 pages of side effects which are often worse than the malady this new drug is supposed to help?

I have a friend that took a medication for epilepsy and it made him blind. His family found out that other people had the same tragic result. The drug manufacturer directed them to the FDA, the FDA said "well if you read the warning label it does say may cause blindness"

Thanks FDA!

Haha oh don't get me started on this nonsense. Take this magical pill for your illness. But don't rest easy, for this may cause you 9,002,871 other unwanted side effects or even diseases!

Thanks FDA, you really know what's best for us.

I swear, the other night on television I saw a drug advertised (I don't remember exactly what it was, If I find it I'll post it) where, I'm not kidding you, they said something to the effect of, "...may also cause certain kinds of cancer.."

Gee, sign me up.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by mnemeth1

Don't say it, PROVE it.

I still find your responses to be some of the most ridiculous posts that I've EVER seen on this site. Your crusade against the FDA as well. Without it, companies could put rat poison in their products and sell it to people as a "stimulant" and if people died from it? They'd be # out of luck.

Hey Sword, I'm still waiting for you to explain to me why Jagerbombs aren't banned yet.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
And why are you astonished by an assumption that you made about my knowledge of what is supposedly banned? I am well aware that the FDA does ban MANY things every year. But so what? What makes some stuff more dangerous than others? A doctor once told me, it takes about a hundred years to really gauge the side effects of a new drug or treatment. So, whats the point of the FDA at all?
edit on 17-11-2010 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

Because it actually doesn't take a hundred years. If a drug does more harm than good, then these results typically manifest themselves in a clinical study. Your phantom doctor's opinion seems to be applicable to drugs that pass clinical trials as safe when in fact they may have more long-term negative side effects. That opinion doesn't apply to drugs that quickly demonstrate their harmful side effects, side effects that when taken in context with the drug's benefits, make the risk far greater than the reward.

If someone put a bottle of cyanide caplets on the shelf with a delicious orange shell and marketed them as headaches medications, then the FDA could have them taken off the market because they necessarily kill the consumer to alleviate his headache. Tylenol, in contrast, tackles the headache and is safe in moderation.
edit on 17-11-2010 by andrewh7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Originally posted by Brood

You would not say otherwise if you have done it.

I would.

But then again, I don't support banning things because people are stupid. Because if I did, I would literally ban everything and just lock every person up in a small little box where they can't do anything.

Even hard drugs can be done responsibly. I know a guy in his 30's who makes over 100,000 a year and a wife. He also enjoys smoking a little meth every once and a while (2/3 time a month).

Cocaine has been heavily used here in America since the 60's and 70's and just like....say for everything in the world, lots of people did stupid things on it. But more people did it and just had a good time.

And you know what? I take a little Oxycodone to help me relax after some stressful workweeks. It wasn't prescribed to me (in other words, I didn't get it from a legal drugdealer). Feels nice being a criminal.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join