It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iTouch 2nd gen problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
it seems all i ever create threads for is when i need help

Anywho, my problem is: I replaced the digitizer and screen because it was cracked up to all hell. That was fairly easy, as i basically unclipped the old one, and clipped back on the new one, making sure all of the connections were connected.

I tried to turn it back on, and nothing happened. I plugged it into my computer, it flashed the screen with the outline of a battery with a little red sliver at the left side. Then the screen turned off. Since i dont have a charger, i plugged it into a powered USB hub, it was the only thing plugged into it. By powered, i mean its plugged into the wall, because its a 7 port hub. Left it in for 3 hours.

So i followed the directions on this one website that had a guy experiencing the same issue. I got the itouch to go into DFW or something mode and iTunes recognized it. I tried doing the recovery option, but it keeps ending during the "initializing ipod for software update" with the error code 1601.

This guy

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Wow i cant believe its not been figured out yet...and apples still going about posting bull **** about reinstalling EVERYTHING!!! The way to get over the 16xx errors while restoring on any firmware is this: Once you get the error DONT DISCONNECT IPHONE OR CLOSE ITUNES. Which leaves us with only one option, rESTART Iphone. STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR VERSION 2.0.1:
1). You get the error. (Ofcourse)
2). DONT TURN OFF ITUNES. DONT DISCONNECT IPHONE CABLE.
3). If the phone is still on, reboot/restart the phone. If its off then kick it out of DFU mode which is explained in the NEXT step.
4). Press and hold the power and home button for some time to kick the phone out of DFU mode.
5). Itunes will detect it again.
6). Now try to simple-restore it, that is click on the restore button on itunes while pressing the shift button of your keyboard. YOU WILL GET THE 16XX ERROR AGAIN IN 5 MINS !!!! but dont worry, everything is under control.
7). now your iPhone will have the picture of the iPhone cable on its screen. good. (DONT TURN OFF ITUNES. DONT DISCONNECT IPHONE CABLE.)
8). NOW put the iPhone it in DFU mode. How? Firstly turn the phone off (it might try to start up on its own again but turn it off again). Once its off, Press and hold the power and home button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but keep the home button pressed for another 10-20 seconds till itunes recognizes your phone.
9). NOW restore the phone by selecting the pawned custom firmware that you created and you will NOT get the 16xx error. ENJOY. if u have any doubts/queries post here or PM me n ill get back

I got it from here modmyi.com...

Give it a try. Hope it helps.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by madmangunradio

Will this work for iTouches?

Also, i have the issue of the screen not turning on.

I will try this out and post if it works or not.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
WOW.. I googled Itouch. I was just in a hurry to help you out. I'll double check.

Edit to add: It seems to be a universal error code with apple products.
edit on 11/16/2010 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

Edit to add a little more: Just do what I do when I have a question. Get creative with Google.. My search was for "itouch error code 1601"

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmangunradio

Wow i cant believe its not been figured out yet...and apples still going about posting bull **** about reinstalling EVERYTHING!!! The way to get over the 16xx errors while restoring on any firmware is this: Once you get the error DONT DISCONNECT IPHONE OR CLOSE ITUNES. Which leaves us with only one option, rESTART Iphone. STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR VERSION 2.0.1:
1). You get the error. (Ofcourse)
2). DONT TURN OFF ITUNES. DONT DISCONNECT IPHONE CABLE.
3). If the phone is still on, reboot/restart the phone. If its off then kick it out of DFU mode which is explained in the NEXT step.
4). Press and hold the power and home button for some time to kick the phone out of DFU mode.
5). Itunes will detect it again.
6). Now try to simple-restore it, that is click on the restore button on itunes while pressing the shift button of your keyboard. YOU WILL GET THE 16XX ERROR AGAIN IN 5 MINS !!!! but dont worry, everything is under control.
7). now your iPhone will have the picture of the iPhone cable on its screen. good. (DONT TURN OFF ITUNES. DONT DISCONNECT IPHONE CABLE.)
8). NOW put the iPhone it in DFU mode. How? Firstly turn the phone off (it might try to start up on its own again but turn it off again). Once its off, Press and hold the power and home button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but keep the home button pressed for another 10-20 seconds till itunes recognizes your phone.
9). NOW restore the phone by selecting the pawned custom firmware that you created and you will NOT get the 16xx error. ENJOY. if u have any doubts/queries post here or PM me n ill get back

I got it from here modmyi.com...

Give it a try. Hope it helps.

ok, this doesnt work because it wont be detected unless its in DFU mode.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So, this time i got error code 1602

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
In all honesty. I've never owned any apple products. However I found another link for you.. It offers solutions in the form of links.. Give it a shot support.apple.com...

Sigh.. I'm not impressed with that link either. I've read that you should uninstall itunes etc and reinstall.. My friend you just need to poke at google and try everything under the sun. I've had that problem with my droid phone and other computer related products. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes it takes time. However much time it takes you learn a hell of alot about your device.

"In some rare instances, it may be necessary to remove all traces of iTunes, QuickTime, and related software components from your computer before reinstalling iTunes." I'm having the exact same problem too mate and hopefully this will sort it. Source(s): support.apple.com...

Sometimes you have to open up regedit and literaly find every single source of these products and remove them. I dont have the time to teach you how to do that. Learn to use google search. Its a chaotic teacher but it works.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmangunradio
In all honesty. I've never owned any apple products. However I found another link for you.. It offers solutions in the form of links.. Give it a shot support.apple.com...

Sigh.. I'm not impressed with that link either. I've read that you should uninstall itunes etc and reinstall.. My friend you just need to poke at google and try everything under the sun. I've had that problem with my droid phone and other computer related products. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes it takes time. However much time it takes you learn a hell of alot about your device.

"In some rare instances, it may be necessary to remove all traces of iTunes, QuickTime, and related software components from your computer before reinstalling iTunes." I'm having the exact same problem too mate and hopefully this will sort it. Source(s): support.apple.com...

Sometimes you have to open up regedit and literaly find every single source of these products and remove them. I dont have the time to teach you how to do that. Learn to use google search. Its a chaotic teacher but it works.

Yea, a droid would be easier to fix, as it isnt tightly put together and it uses an easily diagnosable system.

I dont see how i could reinstall itunes any further, im using computers with DeepFreeze on them, so its like they were just installed every time i use them.

where's armap when you need him.

top topics

join