It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia To Become World-Class Nuclear Dump

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Russia To Become World-Class Nuclear Dump

news.sky.com

Russia is set to become the world's biggest nuclear dump as a lucrative agreement with the US edges closer.

The deal - withdrawn by President George W Bush but resubmitted by President Barack Obama - gives the green light for storage of all nuclear waste from American power stations - 80% of the world's total amount.

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I understand that nuclear waste has to go somewhere, but is this really fair on the Russians?

Shouldn't each country be responsibe for the disposal of their own waste, within their own country?

There are plenty of reports of the side effcts from nuclear waste, i wouldn't wish that on anyone but it just seems really bad that a country that produces 80% of the worlds nuclear waste should send it to another country.

Vladimir Chubrov, from Greenpeace, says: "Billions of dollars will go into the pockets of bureaucrats but the real Russian people will be at a massively increased risk of nuclear accidents."

He shows us secretly obtained footage from a research facility near Russia's other main nuclear plant in the Urals.

It shows horrendous images of deformed foetuses, aborted from women living in a contaminated area. It's hard to watch.

Activists in Siberia fear the same fate may await their own environment.

Someone in Russia is going to be making a lot of money out of this, probably this end too.

Your thoughts? Solutions?

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Your thoughts? Solutions?
One of the things that amazed me about the Tunguska event in 1908 was the god-forsaken nature of the area in Siberia that was decimated, it was miserable, uninhabitable land which was one reason it took so long to get an investigative team out to the site to examine what happened.

So to me, if you gotta store radioactive waste somewhere, naturally uninhabitable land seems like one possibility to consider, and Russia has a fair amount of that.

Consider that 830 square miles of land was completely annihilated, yet not a single person was killed in the blast that we know of:
hpanwo.blogspot.com...

In the darkest corner of the Siberian forest a blast as powerful as 30 megatons leveled 830 square miles of forest....

It is thought no human was killed by the explosion because it hit in such a remote area, but people in the surrounding towns and villages saw and heard it.

That's some pretty desolate land. If there were an area in there somewhere that was radioactive, no human would probably ever know, at least in the foreseeable future.

However it's the future beyond what we can foresee that worries me (for the sake of our children's descendants.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
They agreed on this because the two countries have merged since the end of the Cold War.
Thats right Russia is just another territory, sovereign yes but under the USA banner none the less.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be easier to dump them in the Canadian arctic??
Sure is, but I garuntee it would never fly here

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magus of Truth
They agreed on this because the two countries have merged since the end of the Cold War.
Thats right Russia is just another territory, sovereign yes but under the USA banner none the less.

Yeah, ok buddy

Considering the US turns its nuclear waste into depleted uranium, I can't blame Russia for wanting to be in control of such a dangerous material instead of leaving it in the hands of the Americans. I guess the deal to dump American nuclear waste in Canadian soil was scrapped though (or am I wrong?).

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Where did you get that idea from? Putin hates the U.K and U.S. We all know that in reality he is still running that country.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I might be mistaken, but spent cores still produce power, and can be re-refined to a point, then consolidated, condensed and put to use in dirty bombs. Nothing better than to give Russia our old nuclear fuel cells, only to have them sold to the middle east. Russia makes out like a bandit.
Getting paid by both sides.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Eavel because: spelling

edit on 17-11-2010 by Eavel because: spelling, man where is the spell check on this site.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

Like I said Putin might hate the U.K. ,USA but he's a puppet nonetheless. The USA rules the world because it dominates Russia and China. Even China has to play by the rules. See what I'm trying to getting at here?
(It's For the stability of the world. Thats not to say that Putin could go against all that. An example of that would be something like Russia and China teaming up together and going against the West.)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Now If the nuclear materials were stolen thats a different thing. If they were intentionally given away then Russia is destabilizing the world and its own prosperity then It becomes a problem. However I doubt that they would do that.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Now If the nuclear materials were stolen thats a different thing. If they were intentionally given away then Russia is destabilizing the world and its own prosperity then It becomes a problem. However I doubt that they would do that.

Why would Russia give away nuclear waste? Maybe you should look into missing US nuclear fuel (or weapons) before you start judging Russia. And Putin is America's puppet, eh? Hilarious! Putin is an ex-KGB field officer, if anything he has a firm grip on Obama's balls in a very uncomfortable sort of way.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I explained my theory, now you enlighten me with your conspiracy please.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Magus of Truth

There is no conspiracy. Russia has vast, uninhabited territory and can store nuclear waste without the problems that more urbanized nations would encounter. In terms of a global solution to nuclear waste, where else should this waste end up? On the moon? Russia is a practical location, and if they want it then what is the conspiracy here?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I don't think this is a big issue, there is a lot of unused storage left in Russia from Soviet times. Most of it is already designed to hold dangerous things such as nuclear waste, so I can see the government wanting to make some use of it. As for dirty bombs that could be sold, there's enough, much more valuable nuclear material than waste from power plants in Russia.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

"Russia has vast, uninhabited territory and can store nuclear waste without the problems that more urbanized nations would encounter."
That was my point exactly.

"Putin is an ex-KGB field officer, if anything he has a firm grip on Obama's balls in a very uncomfortable sort of way."
Care to elaborate more on this... from my point of view all these guys work together. Thats why I give them all the "puppet" nickname.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Magus of Truth

Why would Putin be working with Obama?

Putin is a strong Russian leader who has led Russia into a strong, prosperous nation with no debt, economic control over Europe and political/intel control over most of the world. Obama? He is a puppet of US corporations, because it is clear that US corporations and private interest groups own the US government through lobbyism and money lines.

The same globalist leaders that control the US do not control Russia. They tried, during the 90s, but then Putin took care of the oligarchs of past (sent some to jail, for instance). Russia has too much moral authority to be run by greed like the US. They despise the US for this reason, just as most of the world does.

new topics

top topics

join