It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD starts photographing irises of crime suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Article

NEW YORK – The New York Police Department is taking photographs of the irises of crime suspects along with their fingerprints and mug shots.

The NYPD says the images will be used to help avoid cases of mistaken identity. The process takes about five seconds. Suspects will be scanned using handheld devices when they're arrested and again shortly before they're arraigned to make sure the irises match.

Police say the packages of software, handheld devices and cameras cost $24,000 each and 21 systems will be used around the city.

Police say the photos cause no damage to the eye.

Not really sure what forum to put this in, so feel free to move wherever.

Well, Im not really sure if this is good or bad. The article says this does not damage the eye, but I definantly have doubts.....ex - the naked body scanners....I just dont trust stuff that the government has been putting out recently. I wonder if they will be photographing peoples eyes who have done something minor, lets say a speeding ticket warrant. Would something like that be serious enough to photograph the persons iris?

On the other side, I can see how this would help with identity clarification. Im on the fence on this one. It sounds good kind of, but then again, do I really trust what the government has been putting out recently?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Who knows what the gov will do with such things. Technology is way more advanced than we know, and especially in military and police.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Police say the photos cause no damage to the eye.

Good to know police are doing mandatory Optometrist courses.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
wear contacts I guess. or dont commit crimes. Almost time to go underground

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Ehhh...... I highly doubt the police are going to get any Optometrist courses.

What would happen if somebody mishandled the camera? Would it blind the person being photographed? Do I trust the police with something like this? Not really...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
When I left the States a few ywars ago, after a short 5 month contract, everyone leaving had to have their irises scanned. So it's not just the criminals - us foreigners certainly cannot complain to anyone about our "civil rights" being violated.
Everyone is equal - some are just more equal than others.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Sorry, The people of the U.S. HAVE to do something to reign in the government.

Gattaca.
Hell in a Handbasket.
Sheesh.
The CIA is running the show

I bet the Russians reading about this and every other infringement on your freedoms are laughing.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
They're already in use at UK airports.

Anyone may own an iris scanner for about $2500. We can expect them to proliferate wherever that price makes them a smart investment—court houses, defense contractors, public schools, etc. Like all electronic gizmos, watch for the price to go way down as they become more widespread, and lower price will make them proliferate still more. When you can get one for $200, they will appear everywhere! They'll scan your iris before seating you in a restaurant or boarding a bus. By then, most scanners will be plugged into a law enforcement database, together with facial recognition—which has already appeard on most public transit systems.

The sheeple will submit to every security measure—simply because it is easier than rocking the boat. Wide acceptance will eventually make them mandatory—just like showing a driver license when paying by check or putting your SSN on a video rental agreement. It's not enough for a handful of people to refuse and go to court; until the masses take to the streets in Guy Fawkes masks, the trend will continue. I could be tempted to wear one whenever I appear in public—if only they made one that doesn't impare my peripheral vision. It's not worth getting run over every time I cross a street!

join