It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please...could you slow down the new posts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I am asking this again. I have mentioned it before, nothing has been said as to whether they will take care of it. Many on this site have also mentioned that the new posts tend to bury one another. I believe that posting a new thread every 2 to 3 seconds is detrimental to the quality of this site and those that are truly serious about posting here. You want to cultivate "long time posters" not "hit and runs".

All that has to be done to slow the posts down is to set the bb on a 5 minute break between posts. I once used to post on a very popular "band" bb. We used to have the same problem...no one was getting a chance to read what was of interest to them and over time it began to bring the quality of the bb down. Once the 5 minute break between posts was implemented...things seemed to balance themselves out.

Believe me, 5 minutes between posts isn't really anything. Give it a try, you'll see. If you do not want to use my suggestion, please, come up with something....

Thanks

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Did you read this?
Maybe it moved too fast for you to catch it.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

lol

but new posts is new posts, if you slowed it down there'd be a massive backlog of new posts, and before long, we'd be weeks behind in posts!!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
double post, nothing to see here, move along please......
edit on 15/11/2010 by Acidtastic because: quick fire fingers innit

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

a little more clarity is needed here...
a 5 minute pause between threads started? or posts in reply?

the 2-3 second time frame you cite makes me think your meaning the reply posts that are overwhelming, but thats not the function of this site to slow down information or communication... they just get more servers to handle the traffic

one stance one could take is to focus on the 1-3 threads that are of your own highest-rated-interest and follow the free flow of traffic on those particular threads/topics & do not try to consume all the recent posts on everry one of the 30 some threads on page 1....

go back and pick another 2-3 threads/topics and then catch up on their flow of communication, see whats new or see just how the thread is becomming derailed...in that case your doing a forensic investigation, now that might appeal to some of us, what about yourself...

just saying...
edit on 15-11-2010 by St Udio because: forgot a Y in clairty

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I understand where you are coming from... but for purposes of "up to the minute" alternative news. I don't think having a back log of waiting posts is a good idea. I need my news before MS runs it and in the last year this site has really shown what the group of us on ATS can do when able to rapidfire post developing "up to the minute" news!~

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I understand exactly what you mean, but the likelihood of our doing anything to slow down the new posts is remote.

A suggestion, and I'm just offering this up as an alternative. Since I try to stay on top of as much as I can, I use the real time firehose to track new threads. The first page of the Recent Posts list is only good for about 30 minutes.

I use the Firehose, and keep subscribed to the threads I want to follow. You might give that a try and see if it helps. With new posts coming in at the rate of 5k-7k in a 24 hour period, there's really no way to keep up with all of it.

If we did anything to "slow it down", there' be a riot over those not being able to get their ever-more important post up because someone else's irrelevance (in their opinion) was taking up their space.

The good news is, you don't have to sit around and wait half a day for someone to make a new post.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

a little more clarity is needed here...
a 5 minute pause between threads started? or posts in reply?

the 2-3 second time frame you cite makes me think your meaning the reply posts that are overwhelming, but thats not the function of this site to slow down information or communication... they just get more servers to handle the traffic

one stance one could take is to focus on the 1-3 threads that are of your own highest-rated-interest and follow the free flow of traffic on those particular threads/topics & do not try to consume all the recent posts on everry one of the 30 some threads on page 1....

go back and pick another 2-3 threads/topics and then catch up on their flow of communication, see whats new or see just how the thread is becomming derailed...in that case your doing a forensic investigation, now that might appeal to some of us, what about yourself...

just saying...
edit on 15-11-2010 by St Udio because: forgot a Y in clairty

I'm referring to both new posts and replies.
But you have an idea there...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

I understand exactly what you mean, but the likelihood of our doing anything to slow down the new posts is remote.

A suggestion, and I'm just offering this up as an alternative. Since I try to stay on top of as much as I can, I use the real time firehose to track new threads. The first page of the Recent Posts list is only good for about 30 minutes.

I use the Firehose, and keep subscribed to the threads I want to follow. You might give that a try and see if it helps. With new posts coming in at the rate of 5k-7k in a 24 hour period, there's really no way to keep up with all of it.

If we did anything to "slow it down", there' be a riot over those not being able to get their ever-more important post up because someone else's irrelevance (in their opinion) was taking up their space.

The good news is, you don't have to sit around and wait half a day for someone to make a new post.

Yeah, I hear ya about "riots"...and 5-7 k posts per 24 hrs. ? Good gob a magga!!
that's reaching a true point of saturation.

I'll try the "fire hose" and see how that works. Not sure if I will join in with making replies or
new threads much any more though, unless something really strikes me. There's no reason to when
I have to compete with that much traffic.

Thanks for the reply...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hi Holly

I'm always using the firehose.

I skim through it and I'll open those I feel I might like in a new tab. When I'm done i'll skim it again, cause the first time I'll miss about 1/3 of the thread titles...

After that I'll read each selected thread and subscribe or reply on it... Or not of course.

My 2 cents..

Regards

~ Sinter

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I don't get it.

So you want a member when they have breaking news, to basically wait in line with the others?

The new format of the site HIDES most threads, even ones that members have flagged the most that day.

Evidence with pictures and Admins ignoring proof here:

abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
I don't get it.

So you want a member when they have breaking news, to basically wait in line with the others?

The new format of the site HIDES most threads, even ones that members have flagged the most that day.

Evidence with pictures and Admins ignoring proof here:

abovetopsecret.com...

Hey, Jeanius,
I am suggesting no such thing. btw, there is no such thing as breaking news, unless it is directly seen and reported "on the spot"...most "breaking news" has already been reported or written up in some news paper in whatever country it originated in.

My suggestion did work for another bb, with a very large membership, I was a member of a while back, as I said earlier. The whole process did not disrupt anything. It simply means that each member that is posting, whether it is a new topic or reply, would be given a 5 min. sanction before being able to post a new topic, or reply to a thread again.

By the time most people are done reading through what interests them, or answers something, or posts something new...that time of 5 min. is usually past, or real close to ending anyway. The bb's would continue moving, no one "waited in line", and a lot more posts stayed on first page. There are enough people on ATS that no one would be inconvenienced.

I read what you posted about your post and others with flags and stars were not getting much attention due to a "glitch". What you say is true about how some posts seem to be "hidden". I know that there have been times that I, too, have posted and checked back in a short amount of time and it wasn't even on the page in the forum it was originally posted in. Then the next day, it will be found in the correct forum, but maybe on the second page.

Think the oddest I saw was in recent posts was where it gives how many seconds, minutes, etc ago a post was made is the one that said: posted 0:00 seconds ago. Something about it struck me.

There are definitely "glitches" in this place...and sometimes it seems that those "glitches" are targeted....but, like in real life....the louder someone screams unfair or not right...or asks why?...The nuttier you are, because you notice...but the majority rules.

Cyber world/Real world...it's all nuttin' but a big game. Think I will just take up my position again as a watcher, as I have stated before. Never run away...but have the wisdom to know when I can make a difference. If what I write, or say is not able to be heard or read due to competition...then only that which is important to all is all that is needed to be disclosed.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This failed to post when I put it up earlier.
trying again.

top topics

join