It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Anton Wilson - On Conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I've just been listening to a RAW audio interview from a while back in which he speaks to the subject of conspiracies, conspiracy theorists, government, etc.

For those of you not familiar with Robert Anton Wilson I humbly invite you to look him up and into the thoughts of an extraordinary man.

The audio is only 11 or so minutes long and imho well worth the time spent.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Thank you. RAW is my favorite philosphers and his take on life is amazing

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have only recently been introduced to RAW, and I have been pleased with his work so far. Thanks for sharing this.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
RA Wilson is one of the best. The Illuminatus Trilogy, written with Robert Shea, is possibly the best Conspiracy story ever written. Some of his non fiction(Everything is Under Control) is a great resource. Prometheus Rising, his nonfiction work basically explaining all things human, will change the way you think about anything and everything. Fusion of religion, philosophy, science. Tim Leary's neurocircuitry theories, Korzybski's models, quantum mechanics, zen and taoist themes, etc. Highly recommend Wilson in general and "Prometheus Rising" in particular.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well, you're all very welcome ...

It would have been nice if someone actually listened to the short interview and said if they enjoyed it or nor ... but no worries, I just thought I'd post it out there and let it be. So I will.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Here's to the late great Robert Anton Wilson...a true genius.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Thanks for link, interesting listen about conspiracies and how they have always been with us, he said it's as sure as the snow falling.

Conspiracies arise out of mistrust and they well should, it is just another way of questioning what is going on in my opinion. If something doesn't ring true it probably isn't.

Good thread, S&F

Edit to add: I have followed Robert Anton Wilson for years and own many of his books, sad that he is gone, but his legacy will live on.
edit on 14-11-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Yup yup ... like most things it's always about which part of the searching is authentic and which part is an external search for something that resides within. Believing every conspiracy is a pathological predisposition. I love the bit where he notes the government is much more afraid of the public than some of said public is afraid of them.

Thanks for checking it out.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
"A multitude of conspiracies contend in the night," nice.
"Useful idiot," now that cracked me up,"works for them and doesn't even know it."

I like the bit about generalizations being the most nefarious form of stupidity too.
Making sense of the world as a source and drive for conspiracies throughout history, makes sense to me. It reminded me of a phrase I read in another thread referring to humans as "meaning machines," always seeking meaning in everything we encounter. Man, that drive coupled with a case of analysis paralysis can really do a brother wrong...I know, been there, painted into a corner by my own doing, paranoid and disenchanted. I got thru it though years ago and now I am only a 4.5 on his scale mentioned!

Nice piece SD, gracias

spec

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Too bad Wilson was so politically biased and bitter. I enjoyed a lot of his antiestablishment writing, and learned to look at things from many different perspectives thanks to RAW... But his political activism was sort of juvenile, in my opinion.

— Zesko Whirligan

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I wonder too the time of this interview because if it was in the 80s or 90s, things have happened at an such increased pace and combination putting us in a unique time in our history, imo. I say this because I am curious if Wilson(RIP) would say the same thing today, right now.

After giving it some thought I like the piece too because it kind of recasts a foundation to start a new and more focused perspective in regards to the totality of conspiracy theories.
Ats has been great for "keeping it real" too and many of my personal theories have been deflated through investigation and correspondence here.
The only real conspiracies that worry me these days is when someone powerful "conspires" with others to do something that could bring harm to people. I am speaking of Big Pharma, Wall Street, and corporations ran by psychopaths, and profits before people.

RAW developed a philosphy in his latter years that he called maybe logic and there is a doc on it, fyi.
Maybe Logic

Peace,
spec
edit on 15-11-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
In his later years, as his post-polio syndrome caused him more and more trouble, I sensed that he was becoming angry, even cynical and bitter; but this may have been because he was taking so many drugs for pain AND smoking pot AND drinking alcohol... Wilson's mind was incisive back in the 80s and early 90s, but I'm afraid he would be a bitter old man in today's ridiculous political climate.

— Zesko Whirligan

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Zesko Whirligan

did you see his bit at the disinformation seminars? probably one of the last things he did, he didn't really seem bitter there, more bemused? worth a look anyway

-B.M

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
A good short series:

lol, arrested for trespassing at a barber shop for emotional anarchism.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Great videos, the third video says it all.

Question: What do you perceive as the greatest threat to our freedom?

Answer: The stupidity of the population.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Interesting, and I thank you for the link to the interview. The most important element of the discussion? "The Hydrostatic Principal of Controversy" I really need to keep reminding myself of that...fools eventually drag everybody down to their level if one engages them.

That being said...Illuminatus! blew me away when I read it back in the day, and I was infuriated by the fact that what he proposed was true to a point, but it was left up to the reader to find that point.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Here's a couple more relative vids:
Robert Anton Wilson

Terrence McKenna on conspiracy theories

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks for posting the Terrence McKenna video, still missing him, what a great loss to humanity at such a young age and so much to offer..

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thank you friend and thanks again SD, after listening to these excerpts, I have shed some of my fears and uncertainties and now feel like I can "keep it real(er)" for myself.

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Your welcome, here is a great link if you want more of Terrence McKenna and Robert Anton Wilson and not to mention Abbie Hoffman, enjoy.

www.futurehi.net...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join