It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skyline Ad - can it be blocked?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

Oh!!!! Thanks!!! I will read up on this, looks like a good solution for as my internet is fairly sluggish as it is and this would speed up my connection, regardless.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I run Firefox with adblock & flashblock. I disable it for certain websites. ATS being one of the ones I disable it on. Right now the only add I see is the one up at the top for "Clear". No big deal.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I did that HOSTS file update.

All I can say is, Wow.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

pretty good stuff.
i have multiple versions of it that file that swap from time to time depending on what i wanna do.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

Good idea, I might go get the old HOSTS file so I can swap it back if something is being blocked and I can't figure out what to change.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Are you referring to that drop-down (put your cursor over it accidentally) ad with the Plane to Madrid at the very top?
If so....thank gawd someone else is talking about this. It's annoying as hell. If my cursor goes anywhere near the top of the page (say, to click on 'my ats' ) that friggin ad comes down and blocks the whole upper portion of the page. This has happened at least 30 times today. So now I am wondering if ATS is getting kick-backs from this company when people 'hit' the ad.

It's annoying and if this weren't a free site I'd be demanding my money back.

Any suggestions how to deactivate that damn ad??

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Yeah the one that opens a giant banner that is about 3 x the height of the original ad

Some of the previous replies gave helpful answers but unfortunately most probably violate the T&C... so, aside from ATS taking away the ad, probably nothing. I can't see how altering the HOSTS file is a violation though as it is to prohibit unwanted and potentially harmful web addresses accessing your PC.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerialLurker
reply to post by Human_Alien

I can't see how altering the HOSTS file is a violation though as it is to prohibit unwanted and potentially harmful web addresses accessing your PC.

It's doesn't. I just tried. Logged back on, came onto here and 'hit' that ad twice already (it's been less than a minute)
I have to conclude, ATS is getting some 'hit-counter' kick back from them. Why else would you place an ad, exactly where most navigate if there wasn't something in it for you? I doubt anyone is really booking a flight so......they're (ATS) getting some kick back by a traffic generated hit-counter set up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join