It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATDMT Cookie - Tracking You!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

SO, I understand the reasons for cookies - I used to program in VB5 / VB6. So I'm not exactly wet behind the ears. My dilemma is this.... I don't like to be tracked on my pc - Yes, you have my IP Addy, and I have NO prob with that. I DO have a prob with a 3rd party getting that info. From my research, atdmt seems to do exactly that. Or am I wrong?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
I DO have a prob with a 3rd party getting that info. From my research, atdmt seems to do exactly that. Or am I wrong?

Any exchange of data on the web, from a simple graphic on a simple site, to videos on YouTube has access to your IP and the ability to store it. Banner ads are no different.

Atlas (atdmt) has been one of the more trusted names in online analytics, banner servers, and site search products.

As for cookies, I've never deleted any. Ever. (except for the purposes of testing code)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

SO,

Are you telling me that I can trust this cookie? It may be a reputable company, but I ask you this - "How can I disable it?" Or Do I need to allow it to visit ATS - my favorite website?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

As for cookies, I've never deleted any. Ever.

Why not?

I mean, what's the benefit to not deleting them?
edit on 12-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Ignorance is bliss....

2nd line

You honestly don't know? Clearing out browser info can protect you, but not all the time. .
edit on 12-11-2010 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You honestly don't know? Clearing out browser info can protect you, but not all the time. .

I was asking why the choice to *never* delete cookies and what benefit that provides...

edit on 12-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

Hoo Haa,,,LOL it ALWAYS is when dealing with the Red Tape, Either way, you might want to lock that up
until further notice. It cant hurt. By the way, and back on topic(apologies) aren't the cookies mostly for
marketing and advertisement anyway? Should I even be bothered or concerned in the least?

Just like to see how the "Cookie Crumbles" Cheers All,,,,,,,

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

A Long time ago, I found out. I Found Out. So make you life smooth...just "enable all cookies" I did,
and I have had my hand in the "Cookie Jar" ever since. It helps out the folks running the websites, and it allows
your browser to jump leaps and bounds. By disabling cookies the web page does not get Paid by their sponsors
for your visit. Cookies are just a minor issue. The fact is, your I.P.address , your Internet Service Provider, and Your
Email, is automatically logged. Not only that, your Communications, keystrokes, and browsing history is logged
as well. This does not necessarily mean someone,or some committee, is watching you. It only means, that your
activity,as well as EVERYONE else as well, is stored on a bad ass Cray Unit. So you are by no means alone. Just to pay
dues to the"owners", THE INTERNET WAS CREATED BY DOD. So there, you are playing in their sandbox.
Now, in exchange, you get to have not only more freedom of communication, but more freedom of intelligence,
research, as well as fun I.E. Games,Videos,Adult Content,Media Music, as well as Self Projection and Advertising.
On top of that, if you can afford it, you can pretty well purchase Any Legally Sold Good From Any Seller Worldwide.Without getting out of your Lazy Boy Chair. So to put this in perspective, sure everyone has at
least one personal habit that they would like to keep private. Personally I believe in the privacy of ones home,
Bedroom practices, conversations in the home, and paperwork,personal belongings, etc. But with the Internet,
you are "Out in the Open." For Real. As we ALL are. Now if you are not a murderer,extortionist,pedophile,thief
trying to sell stolen goods, crook, etc. the list goes on, you really shouldn't be afraid. Like I said, Everyone
is subject to this focus. It is part of "Total Information Awareness". In fact, your habits and ideas may help
things move forward in a positive direction. Don't be afraid to contribute if this is the case.
Be Good,,,,,,Wildmanimal

edit on 12-11-2010 by Wildmanimal because: Typo

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

SO,

Are you telling me that I can trust this cookie? It may be a reputable company, but I ask you this - "How can I disable it?" Or Do I need to allow it to visit ATS - my favorite website?

No Reply from SO,.....

I guess I hit a nerve?! Or Did I hit a "Nerve" or something?!....

Silence on Your part, says more than I could ever say... Or does it?!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I mean, what's the benefit to not deleting them?

1) There's no need, really.
2) The websites I go to remember me.
3) I don't see the same ads over and over (because the ad networks remember me)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Are you telling me that I can trust this cookie?

What makes you feel you're unable to "trust" any cookie differently than any other text file, or your Internet cache (such as visited pages), stored on your computer?

"How can I disable it?" Or Do I need to allow it to visit ATS - my favorite website?

There's no real need to disable it unless you buy into the "cookie lies" perpetuated by anti-virus companies.

However, if you had really looked at the Atlas website, you'd have seen how to opt-out of their cookie.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

No Reply from SO,.....

I guess I hit a nerve?! Or Did I hit a "Nerve" or something?!....

Silence on Your part, says more than I could ever say... Or does it?!

A nerve? Really?

You didn't for a moment think that I have perhaps, a life? I was out for the evening. It's Friday you know.

edit on 13-11-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

No Reply from SO,.....

You didn't for a moment think that I have perhaps, a life? I was out for the evening. It's Friday you know.

edit on 13-11-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

Okay..sorry to jump in here, but i must have used that identical line at least 1billion times...
. People assume that due to online occupation or hobby, that you are connected to an I.V. and tape your eye lids so they wont close. Oh man..i am so p*ssing myself laughing at this...

What..Skeptic is human..never....lololol...

On a serious side regarding the cookies, its very very typical and its done across billions of site's, its nothing new its nothing to freak out about. If you want to implant a descent code then traffic cookies is not the method to use.
In short..no need for a panic attack, infact, if your panicking regarding traffic cookies, then i would suggest you switch of the computer ring up a buddy, meet up at some local bar and attempt to find a man or woman depending on your gender to ease your tensions for the night.

Peace.
edit on 13-11-2010 by tristar because: fixed quotes

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Sorry Mate,

I just hate this damn cookie! I trust you SO, so if you say it's ok, I'll let it rest.

Thanks for the help SO

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join