It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr John Dee diaries.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wondering if anyone can help me. Recently ive been intrested in reading about and watching doucmentarys (Although less reliable) about Dr John Dee and Edward Kelly.

I stumbled across this link:

www.gutenberg.org...

A quick glance through i noticed some words seem to miss spelled? Also a few sentances seem to be greek, latin or olde english.

Obviously im not so arrogant as to expect some one else with more experience than me to sit and read though all of this just for my benefit, but i was wondering if anyone who has read Dee's diaries could verify the credibility of this peice of text?

Or maybe some one who reads and writes latin or olde english could have a quick glance though and verify he is indeed mixing english with a few latin / olde english sentances (It already tells you some are written in greek)

Also anyones opinions who thinks this is disinfo or misleading is wanted too.

Any help anyone can offer is appreciated very much indeed.

edit on 12-11-2010 by BaldTaillessApe because: Missed something out i forgot to add

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
"Dear Diary,

Today, at the behest of the Queen of England I summoned a horrific demon that will consume us all. I'm not sure how I feel about that so I ate a lot at dinner to comfort myself"

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I had a copy of A True and Faithful revelation....

this one:
www.amazon.com...

I recently sold my copy...it was a good profit for me and I couldn't read it anyway. lol

Yeah, the language in THAT one was weird. The English was older so many things were spelled differently and word usage was completely 'different' and also yes, lots of Latin mixed in.

If that helps.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm not an expert or anything, but if this was truly mixed with "Olde English", then I wouldn't be able to understand it, because Old English doesn't even resemble the language we speak today.

I think you got yerself a fake.
but again, I'm not an expert.
just from Drake.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BaldTaillessApe

As far as I know he was living in the mid to late 16th century so the English should be comparable to Shakespeare (around the same date)
So it's just after "Middle English" when "London English" was starting to take over

John Dee was highly educated and included Latin, Greek and even Hebrew in his texts, he also expected his readers to understand references to ancient texts etc without the need to explain them
edit on 12-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join