It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local gas prices shot up last night here.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I don't know if this really belongs here or in another forum so please forgive me if it is in the wrong place.

I do live in a rural section of Georgia, in between Atlanta and Athens. Our gas prices are always a little bit higher but that is the norm around here just because of our location I think. Well that is what the guy at the gas station tells me anyways lol. I can believe that, costs more to move it so the price would go up a bit.

Yesterday afternoon the price of regular unleaded here at a major retailer was $2.52 a gallon. It will float somewhere between $2.45 and $2.55 usually over the last couple of weeks.

I was driving home from work this morning about 11:00am and figured I should stop and get some gas so I do not have to do it at 4:00am in the morning on Saturday while I head out to work. Well to my surprise when I pulled up to the pump regular unleaded was $2.97! I said to myself that this guy is insane so I drove a little further towards town and the prices where the same everywhere with some being a little higher as I got into town.

I don't understand the whole gas price thing myself. How does it go up so much over night? What drives these prices? Are we being nickeled and dime'd to death or what is going on. I have no idea what is going on. The price is about 40 cents higher then it was this time last year.

Just trying to make some sense out of this cause it is truly a subject I do not understand so please enlighten me if you will.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

OPEC drives prices. They can limit production and therefore control supply, knowing that demand will remain the same. Somewhere in the middle east, there are some Shieks sitting around a table laughing about how they just stung us again. What will make your blood boil is to hear the argument that the price the station pays goes up and that is what drives the price at the pump. Then you think that the gas you are buying for .40 cents higher than you paid yesterday is the same damn gas in the underground tanks. And the price the suppliers charge may change 30 times before that station needs to fill their tanks again. Bend over buddy. It's the american way.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I noticed the prices in N.Texas jumping almost 10 cents from 2.59 to 2.69 (and 9/10ths)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

OPEC doesn't drive Gas prices, just Oil prices. They are connected, but not directly, because the oil is purchased on Futures contracts. In other words the oil is bought a long time in advance, so any problems affect prices months or years down the road, not today. However, every little headline affects Gas prices, because the "Jobbers" look to make a buck and control their supply. If there is any hiccup in supply, even if it is months away, the Jobbers restrict their supply immediately and the prices go up. This way the jobber's make a little extra for the short-term and they can make even more in the longrun if the problem turns out to be real. If the problem is not real, the price comes down, and it was just extra profit!

Now, for the OP, Gas prices in Tallahassee are steady at about $2.80 per gallon, and they have been for awhile. If you thought $2.57 was high for the area, then you should try Florida prices!

It is disturbing when prices shoot up overnight, but since your area is rural, it could be a momentary short supply for something as simple as a fuel truck breaking down. It could be that someone's contract ran out and they had to pay temporarily higher prices. No matter how many brands or stations you have in the area, you probably only have one "jobber" that supplies all the stores. The problem is probably a supply problem through that jobber.

Please keep us informed, and if the priced here in N. Fla change, I will let pop back in and let you guys know, because that would indicate a major supply disruption across the whole South.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Anybody else notice the raise in prices? I am trying to figure out if this is just localized or not.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm in West Virginia, our gas prices jumped up LAST weekend (nov. 6) from an average of $2.74 per gallon to $3.09. This weekend we're averaging around $3.00.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The price went up to 2.95 a gallon here in N Ky about three weeks ago, up from 2.65. I think that this is just the beginning of things to come....

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

So you are pretty much seeing the same thing we are here but it happened a couple of weeks ago. Our gas is always a little lower then the average cause Georgia has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country. I think maybe they are beefing up the prices here to reflect the prices around the country so nothing seems out of the ordinary?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Welcome to my world, we pay 299 right now, as of yesterday, I mean. When I go out later I will check again.

My cousin was in from Spain and she said gas prices are very much higher over there, but America is set up as a mobile nation, and other places have better mass transportation than us.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well they are up again. I am starting to think that they will continue to rise for some reason unknown to the common folks.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ours jumped here in North Carolina 20 cents over night. I wish now I had of gotten the gas yesterday I would have gotten more for the money. But we also have to realize its getting close to the Holidays, every time a Holiday comes up its the same thing the price skyrockets, then after the Holidays it goes back down again.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
You guys should all be thankful, our gas prices are at $0.93 per liter.

And well I'd imagine you can all times that by four to equate what you pay.

The funniest thing is that all that gas comes from my province but yet we usually have the highest gas prices.

Weird to say the least. We sell it to the US and by it back at a much higher price.

Stupid, stupid.

Pred...
edit on 15-11-2010 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
2.89 - 2.99 in NE Ohio. Just waiting to cross the $3.00 mark.

Keep your eye on the commodities market in the weeks ahead!!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You folks in the USA are still getting a deal, even at $3.00 a gallon.

In BC, Canada, we've been paying over $4.50 a gallon (well, over $1 per litre 4.5 litres to gallon) for over two years now.

We don't complain, because in Europe, it's closer to $8 - $9 a gallon. All prices converted to US dollars, approximately.

People of the USA, quit your whining. You have some of the cheapest gas in the world, and are the biggest consumer, by far.

new topics

top topics

join