It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MuleTape versus Rope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have rope put back - from all cotton rope to sisal to synthetic but I have to say my favorite and most useful cordage is a 1000' length of 1800# 1/2" wide MuleTape. I use it for everything. I've made leashes, lashes, tow ropes, improvised clotheslines, etc. etc. etc. out of it. Its waterproof, strong!, easy on the hands.

For those of you not familiar here is a photo of MuleTape.

I find new uses for this every day! Now for the good news - in a lot of areas this can be had for FREE!

Welding Web

I has about eighteen hundred pounds of strength. I can get literally thousands of feet of it from pulls where they're pulling fiber optic cables. I've used it for everything up to and including a fan belt one time in an emergency. It's handier than a pocket on pants to have around for tie downs etc. Tuff Stuff!!

Most cabling companies use this once and throw it away. Once used it loses some of its tensile strength but would still come in handy for lots of at home/camping/BOB uses. I plan to get my hands on a few more rolls whether purchased or free.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
There are specific instructions for splicing muletape and attaching items to muletape to get the strongest splice or knot. Those instructions are available as a PDF with photos here: MuleKnot

The 1800# strength muletape will splice with a spliced strength of 1400# using this knot.

There is another article on a blog called Things I Like with more uses for muletape. Neptco MuleTape - Things I Like

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It's a good thing to have, but it won't work in all applications. It's not good for climbing, and you won't be able to undo tight knots. It will, in fact, absorb some moisture as most synthetic ropes do. Finally, not the best thing to grasp with your hands when under load.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

There is no "one size fits all" rope to have since you've brought it up. I have many types of rope. This is not rope but given the sheer number of uses it has and its much lighter weight you can carry 1000' of this stuff in a smaller package than you can a rope of similar tensile strength.

It has its uses as you said. I can picture stringing this across a creek/river with multiple lines on it and just dragging the whole kit and kaboodle in at once
It does soak up water, but it dries well and won't rot.

I used it this summer to measure the water level and the total depth of my well to give me a rough idea of how much water we had. We went months without a rain and I was worried. I knew the mule tape would take the bob all the way to the bottom and all the way to the top again without breaking. It would also easily pull a well bucket up again and again and again.

ETA: I'm just too darned old to want to do any rope climbing. If it comes down to a situation where I have to climb or die........... well............. I'll either chance it ... or jump. I won't be climbing!
If I could only have one type of cordage, this would be it.
edit on 9/11/2010 by SeenMyShare because: edit to add:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
ETA: I'm just too darned old to want to do any rope climbing. If it comes down to a situation where I have to climb or die........... well............. I'll either chance it ... or jump.

OK, but it's not too difficult to rappel!

You can't do that with the mule tape, but it's quite manageable with most "fat" ropes, w/o extra equipment.

new topics

top topics

join