It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the most practical form of martial arts to know for...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
JKD, the bruce lee technique.

the father of ultimate fighting.

or a .357 auto.

do whatever you need to do to win. hope you never need to do anything!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Here is the least effective method of Martial Arts, Hida Shiki Kyouken Jutsu
It mainly, as far as I can tell, involves shouting at a bell

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFlowers
that would help her get out of a genuine life-or-death situation without causing any extreme or lasting damage to her attackers?

and is good to know if someone that was very dangerous dangerous, say, came to your apartment and tried to kill or hurt you or your family.

ummmmm........... in a 'genuine life-or-death' situation you're probably going to want to try and inflict as much extreme lasting damage as possible, as fast as possible.
I'm no expert but as a woman who may be somewhat lacking in brute strength there's a combat system called 'tactical edge' you might want to look into but first you're going to need to accept the fact that survival might mean gouging somebodies eyes out.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
HI I am black belt in American Kenpo and brown belt in brazilian jiujitzu, I've also practiced boxing, kickboxing and muay thai, always compete in grappling tournaments and MMA.

Those who practice and compete in combat sports know that they must be prepared, in addition to technical and physically, psychologically, so think a bit how hard it is to remain calm and clear mind in this situation, where it is assumed that all controlled and rules to prevent damage or serious injury to the participants (grappling or mma which is what I compete), with this in mind before choosing a martial art for self-defense, think about whether they can meet someone in a life or death situation, where there are no rules and no one knows how you can finish, learn the proper techniques and gain control over your fears takes time, no good and effective martial art learned in months, need years. Martial arts in the Army are used as a form of companionship and camaraderie, not wanting to be racist or xenophobic but, have you seen some Israely fighting hand to hand without weapons, not me, but if you want to practice Krav Maga also give him a look at Systema The self-defense is practiced in Russia

I think that depending on the situation any martial art will do, but I've come to understand with many years of practice and combat, is not the style or martial art is better, everything depends on the preparation and ability of each practitioner

PD: remember to fight in the street does not go to the floor because most of the time is not a one to one situation, should also be clear that there are no rules and blows to the groin, eye poket, even bite is "allowed"

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
i really enjoyed Judo and it helped me out on a couple occasions. although i can see how a combo of judo,jiu jitsu and krav maga would be useful. i also read about a chap called Bill Underwood;he had his own system.there is a fancy picture of him bringing the late great Johnny Carson to his knees. bill was in his 80's and 80 something years old. but that feeling you get when something silly [violent] kicks off is to be avoided. more
i say!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Since you are a girl why not you consider learning some Capoeira? While not considered a real martial art you will get yourself a very tough body and very good looking too. Capoeira is making martial arts moves slowly on Brazilian music. And trust me, if you master Capoeira very well you will be able to defend yourself.

Or, if you are inclined towards the occult why not consider Tai Chi Chuan? This will help you stay young too.

Something more tough would be Krav Maga a very efficient, practic israelian fighting style, derived from traditional Jiu Jitsu, but with no rules (you are allowed to attack the groins for example).

I don't think you will wanna do BJJ or Muay Thai. You are not becoming a professional fighter.

That being said, there is no "best martial art". Ideally you would wanna learn a little bit of all and master what you like and develop your own style. After all, all these styles where created by someone, which previously learned other styles and so on....

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SFlowers

Forget brazillian Jiu Jitsu. It won't help you at all against a strong aggressive attacker, especially if they have a weapon such as a knife or a gun.

as a petite woman, your best bet is probably Aikido.

It allows you to keep a distance and teaches how to disarm armed attackers using their own momentum and joint and pressure locks that will take down the biggest mofo around.

It is difficult to find a good instructor though and will take several years to begin to become proficient, if you're looking for something for the immediate future for a specific threat, get some gun lessons and a concealed weapons permit.

Jaden

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Patto

Yes.... I like that you think here.

Brazilian jiu jitsu's biggest advantage in MMA is it's biggest disadvantage in real life combat. If you take someone to the ground prepare to die in real life...

You want to avoid going to the ground at all costs. If someone has a knife or a gun or are unscrupulous, you will end up maimed, blilnd or dead taking someone to the ground. There are often multiple attackers and you will get kicked and stomped, etc,,, if you go to the ground.

Like I said, as far as martial arts are concerned. Smaller petite people should study Aikido, medium to average sized people can study Kenpo, kungfu, Judo, traditional jiu jitsu or any number of martial arts.

Aikido, chin na, etc... utilizes joint locks and pressure tactics that require little to no physical overbearing and aikido teaches how to defend against multiple attackers. It takes years to become proficient at martial arts to defend one self though, and you would be better off in the short term to also take confrontation avoidance and surroundings awareness courses. This will help you much more in the short term (and the long term) in defending yourself by not letting yourself get into a situation that requires defending.

Jaden

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Personally I think a little bit of all is the best way to go if it is financially possible for one. I know the question is primarily the most practical meaning just one, but I never found just one to be the best solution. Over time I've taken some courses in Aikido, Ninjutsu, Karate, and a few lessons in Tae Kwon do. I could definitely see the pros and cons of each and certainly felt them. The biggest factor in saying that is simply having a way to handle a variety of situations differently. For me I like options and though Aikido gave me a lot of non-confrontational options there are times when I simply can't keep doing that so the others come into play. I'm just having a bit of a hard time explaining it but hoping the gist of what I am saying is getting across.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I've got three suggestions and I'll put them in order of preference with explanation:

WTF or ITF Taekwondo: Both are suitable since you are looking for a method of self defense and that you pointed out specifically that you had strong lower body strength. Taekwondo will teach you how to use your legs to render your would be attacker powerless.

In addition or as a complimentary I would add Jet Kun Do or JKD, the Bruce Lee martial art considered one of the most complete martial arts of all time. Working with your advantages and disadvantages and using both to help you strike and get away.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: this is always a nice one to have in your back pocket, will help you tremendously in close quarter situations.

Hope I could help and remember that any and all martial arts start with an open spirit and acceptance of who we are and what we can accomplish.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
If you want to defend yourself using Martial Arts you must train diligently before you can defend against someone who is bigger and stronger than yourself.

It doesn't matter which Martial Arts you choose, as long as it's one that you enjoy doing. If you don't enjoy it, then you will not train enough and you will not be good enough to defeat a stronger opponent.

Another thing you might consider is a weapon. When fighting is about survival then you always want the upper hand. While training Martial Arts is a good way to gain the upper hand, it is a very long and difficult process which requires a lot of effort. A weapon can equalize the situation or give you an advantage much faster and effectively.

The counter arguement to a weapon is the legal situations you can get yourself into if you actually end up using the weapons on an assailant. In the country I live in self defense is only allowed with "equal and appropriate means". This means if he attacks you with his hands, and you shoot him with a gun, you will probably go to jail.

In the end I would recommend doing any Martial Art you enjoy doing. Also, add running and isometrics to whatever it is you train in order to gain speed, strength and stamina.

Being in good shape and being able to run/sprint can save you from most dangerous situations.

Oh, and stay away from Aikido; it's completely useless, unless you enjoy LARPing japanese culture.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
hard to beat boxers hands for striking with your hands, muay thai for kicks, knees and elbows...akido requires that you wait for an opponent to give you his hand or arm so you can throw him, brazilian ju jitsu is good against a single attacker but is seriously flawed against multiple opponents. (your rolling around the ground in your undies trying to strangle a guy and his mates walk up and soccer kick you in the head) wing chun like most chinses arts are impressive to watch but is really impracticle in real life. you should follow the master's philosophy and embrace elements from different arts that suit your physical and mental attributes. if your in australia BJC offered a good variety of tools.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masterjaden
reply to post by Patto

Brazilian jiu jitsu's biggest advantage in MMA is it's biggest disadvantage in real life combat. If you take someone to the ground prepare to die in real life...

You want to avoid going to the ground at all costs. If someone has a knife or a gun or are unscrupulous, you will end up maimed, blilnd or dead taking someone to the ground. There are often multiple attackers and you will get kicked and stomped, etc,,, if you go to the ground.

Jaden

This is an obvious post from someone who has never trained in BJJ. BJJ teaches you not only how to take someone to the ground and dominate, it teaches you positioning and keeping the advantage.

This means that you train in how to resist being taken to the ground (sprawl etc.) and if you do get taken down, how to attain a position which lets you escape to your feet.

BJJ is an excellent martial art that trains in aliveness and how to control a fight. Any all-round fighter will know BJJ or a similar style.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by fedeykin

Never ever use a weapon if you don't have the intention of actually using it. Flashing a weapon will only give your attacker motivation and something to hurt you with. A knife of a gun is nice but if you are too chicken read nervous to use it, you are toast. I've read here someone suggesting pepper spray, I like that and it's a proven way to help you get out of bad situations.

Never walking alone at dusk is another great way to prevent attack but sometimes we just have too and are faced with the possibility so....Have pepper spray, grab your keys and make a fist with the keys between your fingers, always have a hard bristle hair brush in your purse so that you have something to scratch his face and make him scream, if all else fails always go for the three most sensitive spots; eyes. balls and shins. Gouge the eyes, squeeze or hit, bite what ever works the balls and the shins, remember that hair brush, you can use the hard handle to hit the shins straight on, trust me I know how bad that hurts, cops use their maglites on shins....Outch !!!

Oh...One final little tip, if ever grabbed by the throat and he's got you at arms length and shooting his mouth off, keep you composer and think of this; it only take 11 pounds of pressure to break an elbow, meaning, with one hand grab your attacker's wrist and with the other, using the palm of your hand facing upwards, slam it directly on his elbow as hard as you can possibly hit it. Don't worry about the screaming and swearing, you should be running fast enough away from the attacker after that and the you will slowly hear him less and less the further you get.....

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Well it just so happens I own a Martial Arts school so i can address this question better than most
the core of our training is Tae Kwon Do which teaches you how to read your opponent (a very useful skill because the next step is predicting an opponents actions) we use a counterfighting system that only relys on blocks only if your were unable to counter in time. Tae kwon do emphasis is on powerful precision kicks and it is more suited to females because of their natural flexibility. My wife is a black belt in our school and most of the men dont want to spar her fearing defeat in front of the class. Another aspect of our training is Judo for effective takedowns and countering takedowns. and finally juijitsu grappling (no GI Preffered since street clothes are easily ripped and not effective to choke with) Today to defend yourself this is the best formula.
Most traditional martial arts school are coming around to the idea of mixed martial arts so to find a place that teaches all these arts shouldnt be that hard to find but if i had to pick one I would say Tae Kwon DO is your best bet for a fast self defense.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

in your opinion, the best form of martial arts for a young female with little upper body strength but very strong legs to learn that would help her get out of a genuine life-or-death situation without causing any extreme or lasting damage to her attackers?

Judging by your criteria my opinion is
Buy yourself a big can of pepper spray and good pair of running shoes...

Here's the thing martial arts are for people who are serious and have years to invest to become confident in their abilities to defend themselves...If your willing any credible style will be of great benefit..

But...and this is just my opinion... you have the wrong mindset going into this...
See if I were in a genuine life-or-death sit... forget trying a perfectly executed butterfly kick. I'm coming out guns a blazing, my intent is to cause extreme and hopefully lasting damage to my attackers...that's how you survive to live another day.... My opinion mind ya...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I took karate when I was younger & while many of the traditional forms , can be effective ,...if i had to recommend something it would be Krav Maga used by the IDF , because it is modern , it is taught to women in their forces & it
is very effective in real world situations , It is developed by taking all of what works in real world from other fighting arts , I would also be favorable to things like aikdo that use the attackers mass & momentum against them...

en.wikipedia.org...

From the wiki...
"Generally, there are no rules in Krav Maga, as it is a defense fighting technique which is not regulated, but utilized to keep the user safe and incapacitate the opponent by any means necessary. Men and women generally undergo the same drills.[9][10] It has no sporting federation, and there are no official uniforms or attire, although some organizations do recognize progress through training with rank badges, different levels, and belts.[11][12]

General principles include:[1]

* Counter attacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
* Targeting attacks to the body's most vulnerable points such as the eyes, jaw, throat, groin, knee etc.
* Neutralizing the opponent as quickly as possible by responding with an unbroken stream of counter attacks and if necessary a take down/joint break.
* Maintaining awareness of surroundings while dealing with the threat in order to look for escape routes, further attackers, objects that could be used to defend or help attack and so on."

edit on 9-11-2010 by codefox because: additional info

kravmagatechniques.net...
edit on 9-11-2010 by codefox because: more info

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

You really should consider if your attacker can take a hit before he takes u to the ground where standup skills (though necessesary) are useless. Add Juijtsui grappling and you have a stronger combination.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Typically you want a good mix of styles.

Find a hard style and train with that for a little while. Tae Kwon do and japanese style martial arts are good. You want to learn how to throw punches and kicks effectively.

A soft style like chin na or aikido that will let you learn how to redirect your attackers strength against them. Also they show you effective holds or locks for taking out your opponent.

And you want something that teaches you some ground techniques. Gracie or brazilian jujitsu or even judo is awesome.

do some research. see what suits you. talk to the sifu at the dojo. get informed.

just remember one thing. your greatest weapon is your mind. learn to train that too.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I would go with Krav Maga. Its easy to learn basics with no fancy kung-fu moves or locks.

They say most fights end up on the ground in a scuffel, however Krav Maga is simply to get your target disabled so you can escape to safety. Its not to prove anything but its effective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join