It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Navy website attacked by Romanian hacker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Royal Navy website attacked by Romanian hacker

www.bbc.co.uk

The Royal Navy's website has been hacked by a suspected Romanian hacker known as TinKode.

The hacker gained access to the website on 5 November using a common attack method known as SQL injection.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Seems like the hacker could have made things worse by linking to malicious site but according to the Royal Navy he didnt....

Seems like the hacker is a nice hacker...show off as the claim....

Will have to do some more research on this guy and see what other things he has been up to...

What are your thoughts - anyone ever heard of him...

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
So, can Royal Naval fleets be tracked through their website as American Naval fleets can? Or is the tracking of Naval fleets done through some other site, in and of itself? Just wondering if the claims of Obama being proceeded in India by 34 Naval warships may have some validity after all, and the Pentagon was absolutely able to refute the claim because they were not American ships.
A timely "hack" to send the server down unquestionably, and rearrange the fleet positions online? Hmm....

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
seems that the romany are getting a lot of press as of late. i wonder if this is a unified move against them what with the repatriation from france and the 50 year anglo-french agreement. to make them look bad in the media would fulfil the need to negate any protests against government forced migration policy. just seems rather sinister.
white hats off to the guy if that is the case. the mod should give him a job. maybe then he will be able to double his country's gdp!!
i say this in a light hearted way as my paternal grandmother was of romany stock.
f

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by booda

What are your thoughts - anyone ever heard of him...

www.bbc.co.uk

Yup,

This was a complete slap in the face and shows when politicians announce that they are going to invest into cyber warfare before they actually do a cross check of all their gov sites. Lesson to be taught, first look at your own home security.

www.freeuploadimages.org...
edit on 9-11-2010 by tristar because: forgot to upload ss

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by recycled

interesting thought. Just checked the Navy website and its still down....

www.royalnavy.mod.uk...

Also, I think this is the guys twitter feed....

twitter.com...

And this is his blog site

tinkode27.baywords.com...
edit on 9/11/2010 by booda because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Where in the article does it say that the hacker was Romany/Romani or whatever the spelling is?

From what I read the guy is Romanian, you know, as in from the country named Romania.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

the word romany does not appear in the article. that was my wording. if you are questioning the validity of the word, please do tell why.
f

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

just to clear things up an error of grammar on my part. romanian and romany although having connections are quite separate and not without friction.
f

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I was just wondering how you got to the conclusion that this hacker was Romany, since that doesn't appear in the article.

Maybe you got that from a different source?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

i refer the honourable member to the reply i gave earlier. in my opinion the hacking could have been a direct result of the repatriations of the romanian romany and the 50 year agreement between the uk and france. i know nothing of tinkode or his ethnicity.
f

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Nah, I just googled his blog, the guy is only about hacking, no political motivation behind.

I admit it, I was just trying to force you to see that you confused the two terms

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
the Navy site is still down...has been for about 3 days now.....does it take that long to secure it.....

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If he was hacking for the sheer reason of "look what I can do" then I can't imagine why the site would still be down. I maintain my original thought, that is however an uneducated opinion, so take it for what it's worth, just a speculation.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yes he is the "look what i can do" kind of hacker ,but he is also sort of ethical.
He never did to much of a damage to any site...except maybe a deface on the frontpage.

The reason the site is still down they are probably taking advantage of the situation to fix everything.To fill in the holes.
To make sure there is no vulnerability at least the "usual" kind
They are not down because he damaged something....

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

He hacked my cousins wedding website.

You would enter the URL and it would go to a flash image with a comment "You have been hacked by the Romanian Hacker"

We only noticed because we accidentally went to the old site and noticed it. He just canceled the site since it was no longer needed.

Attacking a government site is big though.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

i appreciate you keeping me on my toes! hope i have reciprocal rights here.
i did some sweeping last night and stumbled on a site frequented by tk. the site warns user of logging ip and monitoring. furthermore i agree with your point that tk is kind of ethical with respect to not destorying sites, just revealing vunerabilities to the webmasters/owners. he is concerned with insecurityromania. their remit kind of reminds me of the now defunct cyberpolice back in the daze!
f

join