It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need to improve my English

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
As everyone can tell my English is terrible. I'm ashamed about it! What can I do to improve my grammar?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Reading is a good way to pick up grammatical flow. Perhaps attend a local college and study writing or English.

We're all allowed typos and the odd sentence that is difficult to understand though so don't take it to heart.

Personally I can understand your writing style just fine.

-m0r

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Really! That is the greatest news I have heard in a long time! Thank you!
What can I do to repay you?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Usually I answer such questions with: bake a cake.

I don´t understand why you have to ask others to tell you what to do. You know it already.
Sorry, but I hate questions like that.
But to answer it: read, write, communicate with people. The same things you do at school.
My english is... well you can see how my english is. I´m trying.
Do the same.

edit on 8-11-2010 by Numino because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Check out a Harbrace Book. They are expensive to by new but most libraries have them. Used book stores and college bookstores have them as well.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I know this may sound funny but google Schoolhouse Rock Videos and watch the ones under Grammer. They are funny animated shorts that effectively explain Nouns, Verbs, Adverbs etc.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Join the creative writing section here at ATS.

You sure do have an active imagination and focusing it into creative writing will help you improve your English and keep your mind coming up with new ideas.

You are welcome.

-m0r

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Hi Rebel.

I can see your in the USA so my first bit of advice would be not to listen how the Americans speak! they speak a very poor lazy english !

Check out some you tube vids of the Queen or failing that watch some back episodes of Eastenders or coronation street ( English soaps )

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Your English is fine!

If you want to speak really good English look at the guys in this video at about 1:20
That will learn ya some proper good talking skills

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exforcesuk

Hi Rebel.

I can see your in the USA so my first bit of advice would be not to listen how the Americans speak! they speak a very poor lazy english !

Check out some you tube vids of the Queen or failing that watch some back episodes of Eastenders or coronation street ( English soaps )

Wow you criticize how Americans speak, yet your post is absolutely riddled with grammar mistakes....

You don't use proper capitalization, proper punctuation, or proper spacing. You know English is capitalized right?

Oh and Americans are lazy? You said vid instead of video...last time I checked "vid" is not a word. Maybe instead of insulting an entire culture over grammar, you should take some lessons yourself.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Killface

HAHAHA am laughing now!

Capitalization ! ! ! or Capitalisation ! ! !

American spelling accepts only -ize endings in most cases, such as organize, realize, and recognize.British usage accepts both -ize and -ise (organize/organise, realize/realise, recognize/recognise).British English using -ize is known as Oxford spelling, and is used in publications of the Oxford University Press, most notably the Oxford English Dictionary, as well as other authoritative British sources.

Dont get so het up ! was only refering to the lazyness of Americans within the context of the use of the (E)nglish language!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exforcesuk
reply to post by Killface

HAHAHA am laughing now!

Capitalization ! ! ! or Capitalisation ! ! !

American spelling accepts only -ize endings in most cases, such as organize, realize, and recognize.British usage accepts both -ize and -ise (organize/organise, realize/realise, recognize/recognise).British English using -ize is known as Oxford spelling, and is used in publications of the Oxford University Press, most notably the Oxford English Dictionary, as well as other authoritative British sources.

Dont get so het up ! was only refering to the lazyness of Americans within the context of the use of the (E)nglish language!

You don't get it, you called us lazy with the English language, while using very sloppy/lazy English yourself.

I don't understand how -ize versus -ise reinforces your point at all.

Sure, you have room to judge how Americans use the English language:

HAHAHA am laughing now! ( I am laughing now?)
Dont get so het up ! (Don't get so heated up? )
Refering, lazyness (Referring, laziness?)
Dont (Don't?)

There are two spaces after a period, you used none.
There are no spaces between the end of the sentence-ending word and the puncuation mark. You put spaces before almost all of your exclamation marks.

The point being you can not judge someone's use of the English language when you have a shaky grasp on it yourself.

edit on 8-11-2010 by Killface because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Romantic_Rebel - use a word-processor like Microsoft-Word as it will automatically check your spelling and grammar (spelling errors show up in red and grammatical errors show up in green). Then use copy & paste to get it into the ATS reply/comments section.

Also, read your writing out loud (at least in your mind) and try to put yourself into the role of someone else who's reading it and whether it will make sense if you were in their shoes.

And the one person up above was correct - we here in the USA are awfully lazy when it comes to adjectives and adverbs. We'll often use the phrase "I love this" or "I hate that" without exploring or refining any of the feelings in between (adore, enjoy, like, etc.).

And keep writing! The more you write the better.

(and for all you grammarian's out there, yes, I know better than to start a sentence with the word "And" but I don't really care)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

As everyone can tell my English is terrible. I'm ashamed about it! What can I do to improve my grammar?

It can't be done I'm afraid...

Quit ATS I guess?

ZINGER!!!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Hey Dave,

Funnily enough I grew up in an area in Glasgow which at the time was considered more dangerous and impoverished than Pollok (Which to be honest is a very large area). I've worked in Pollok, Castlemilk, Possilpark, Summerston, Springburn, Govanhill and The Gorbals as well as other places.

Whilst there is a constant threat of violence wherever you are in the city I don't think that necessarily has an impact on how you can articulate yourself to others and have met some very nice people from all age groups as well as a few bad apples.

It was fun seeing an area I used to work in again Dave and so thanks for the video!

-m0r

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I live in an area that's much the same, although they speak an odd form of North London / Essex / Chav dialect that I have trouble understanding even though I was born and raised in the East End.
Theres just as much stabbing though

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty

Join the creative writing section here at ATS.

You sure do have an active imagination and focusing it into creative writing will help you improve your English and keep your mind coming up with new ideas.

You are welcome.

-m0r

yup, use your imagination and more communication!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Hi, I really don't see any problems with your writing
as long as I can understand someone
and even if I can't, I generally work along the lines that a little clairification goes a long way

join