It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RockMelt launches a new 'social' Web browser

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

RockMelt launches a new 'social' Web browser

content.usatoday.com

A new "social" web browser backed by Netscape pioneer Marc Andreesen is in the news this afternoon.

The RockMelt browser is built on the idea that most of our online activity revolves around Facebook or Twitter, searching on Google or monitoring a handful of favorite websites, the Associated Press reports. RockMelt corrals all of that in panes and drop-down windows.

Andreessen didn't develop the RockMelt browser the way he did Netscape, the AP says. RockMelt is the handiwork of Tim Howes and Eric Vishria, who formerly worked with Andreessen. But the biggest chunk of RockMelt's $10 mi
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7/11/10 by argentus because: to make headline the same as article

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Great, just what we need on the internet, another social site. Costing $10 million in funding to start, wow thats a lot of money. They are expexting 1 million users to sign up. I think thiere is enough of these addicting social networks on the web and we dont need another one. I think taht money could have been spent on something nore usful.

content.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
They can keep their smelly browser AND their facebook government watch control. Don't, will not, have either one those DOGS!!! Thats part of the dumbing down of the world!!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
As far as I know, the browser itself is not a social website, it is more or less a centralized location to keep track of them all.

It also appears to be based on Chromium, as evidenced by the tab GUI.

I think another company (Flock) tried this a few years ago, with a browser based on the then top dog, IE6. It of course flopped, but it will be interesting to see how RockMelt (a silly, counter-intuitive name, by the way) will do. On one hand, we have people up in arms over the loss of privacy, but on the other hand, we have people visiting both Twitter and Facebook religiously.

Edit: Maybe Flock is based on FF. I know there was on before Facebook exploded in popularity that was based on IE6.
edit on 7-11-2010 by inivux because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2010 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
another way to get users information, to put them all together and sell to corporations, agencies ...

nice!

top topics

join