It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

He didnt throw every skeptic under the bus...

Theres nothing wrong with being a skeptic in this forum, but what he wants is for skeptics to remain civil.

I dont think hes asking for that much.

Its not hard to politely tell a user why you think they are incorrect and what your opinion is on the matter.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
Though I am sure it was completely unintentional by throwing all skeptics under the bus you've handed the keys of the forum over to the kooks, those who think any skepticism is a personal attack and rude.

It seems you are claiming all believers to be kooks. Are there just kooks and skeptics in your world? Seems a little hostile in and of itself.

You apparently missed or purposefully ignored the bold text above. No where did I say all believers, but a particular mind-set.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
If you read his OP, Springer considers, and even CALLS himself a skeptic. What I find most perplexing about this whole thread is the apparent friction with a call for everyone to be civil. Since when is it okay to berate people for simply posting a video? We don't know if they made it, or if they are just posting something that they found interesting, unless they specifically say so.

No one is saying that it is okay to berate people for posting a video, though I think the moderators in this thread are doing a really good job pretending that is what we are arguing. The concern is not the call for civility but how it is being handled.
edit on 7-11-2010 by DoomsdayRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

Why is it so hard for people to be civil anymore? Have we slid so far from common courtesy that we won't even afford members the benefit of the doubt? Sometimes, seeing this kind of retaliation to a simple request makes me wonder what hope the world has, if we're not even able to discuss topics civilly anymore.

Very concerning...

TheBorg

The world is a volatile place these days. Watching reality shows, politicians, news people, they're all so angry and argumentative. I think people are starting to think anger is going to get them what they want, or sway opinions.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Seriously, I have been trying to keep the peace here by warning the True Believers about their snarky comments and ridiculous "you are blind/close minded, etc..." statements too,

That's fair enough. I've seen as much, if not more hostility from the "True Believers" as I have from anyone else. As long as nobody is given special treatment, I have no complaints.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
He didnt throw every skeptic under the bus...

It is hard to argue that isn't the case when the thread is addressed to all skeptics.

Theres nothing wrong with being a skeptic in this forum, but what he wants is for skeptics to remain civil.

Originally posted by FoxMulder91[/i
Its not hard to politely tell a user why you think they are incorrect and what your opinion is on the matter.

No one is arguing that is isn't.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

kooks

What Springer said went completely over your head didn't it? In one word Rex, CIVILITY. *Good* skeptics is what this forum needs more of, and in a big way. Arbitrageur is a shining example of a great "skeptic". He cuts through nonsense fast and effectively without being condescending, on an ego trip or making himself try to appear more intelligent than others. He doesn't belittle or talk down to people, rather he sets an example of how to approach this subject matter.

Be the light for others to look up to.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

The thread is not addressed to all skeptics..
The first two lines in his first post.

I'm really sick and tired of the absolutely HORRID manners some of our "Skeptics"/"Debunkers" are showing regarding YouTube Videos of alleged UFOs here on ATS.

Cheers
edit on 7-11-2010 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail

Though I am sure it was completely unintentional by throwing all skeptics under the bus you've handed the keys of the forum over to the kooks, those who think any skepticism is a personal attack and rude.

It seems you are claiming all believers to be kooks. Are there just kooks and skeptics in your world? Seems a little hostile in and of itself.

You apparently missed or purposefully ignored the bold text above. No where did I say all believers, but a particular mind-set.

I don't think there is much threat from those who think any skepticism is a personal attack. Reverting to name calling is what I was pointing out. Just because someone holds to an opinion or belief doesn't mean they are crazy strange or eccentric. The tone of your post sounds fatalistic.
I am just a little skeptical of how you communicate your skepticistic message.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Makes you wonder about how many disinfo agents are on this site.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
All I can guess about those who think we are only going to "handle" the skeptics is, they DID NOT read the OP, they only read the title and went from there... Sadly TYPICAL of the "internet age".

If you don't understand that I AM a Skeptic too, then you you obviously have NOT been reading.

I strongly suggest that READING the ENTIRE OP on a discussion forum is a GOOD WAY TO GO.

Not my problem, or the staff's problem.

This is CLEAR to those who actually READ the OP.

Civility, that's IT. If that's too hard a concept for you then ATS is NOT for you.

Springer...
edit on 11-7-2010 by Springer because: clarity

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Civility, that's IT. If that's too hard a concept for you then ATS is NOT for you.

Springer...

My only argument would be that you have singled out ONE forum.
I see the same behaviour in many other forums on ATS.
Please moderate them the same or risk loosing good members that are sick and tired of the same few spouting the same lines over and over.
The bad threads would soon naturally fade away if not for these people bringing attention to them.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

Quite right. Not that surprising to see who is complaining about this.

It's cool you mention Arbitrageur as a good example. In a similar vein I'd like to propose that some of the more die-hard 'skeptics' here ask themselves one question before authoring a post...

What Would ArMaP Do?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well the premise of this thread is entirely false.

Simply not believing and actually showing skeptical prowess in the form of empirical debunking are two entirely different things. I believe this thread is addressed to those who simply don't believe and present their opinion as being simply such in at times a slightly 'uncivilized' manner. By presenting evidence to the contrary, by actually attempting to debunk within a skeptical mind frame you are doing the thread a service, no matter if you are wrong. This shouldn't be frowned upon.

What should be frowned upon are posts such as:

"You are so blind to the truth..."

Or condescendingly sarcastic posts from a certain member which go along the lines of: "It doesn't matter anyway... we know the truth, it won't matter much anymore." Usually accompanied by a roll of the eyes.

This is CLASS A TROLLING, this should be frowned upon. Skeptical debunking invokes this sort of of uncivilized behavior from other posters, when it shouldn't. It is the trolling exemplified in the posts above which brings about the 'non believers' and enrages them and not the skeptics.

Cut off the virus and you will have civility.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Fine, I will behave. But isn't the motto of this forum "Deny Ignorance"?
Should we just stand by and let people be drawn to the person that sais he/she was visited by aliens/reptilians after smoking some hallucinagenic drug?
Should we just let them draw in the young and navie to that?
Or perhaps the guy that obviously has multiple accounts, having a conversation between an "alien" on this forum. Waste of space don't you think?
There should be more evidence in posts, not just a two-page long rant on why the reptilians are here.
This goes further, but this is ridiculous, there are good subjects here from time to time, usually in philosophy, but sometimes in politics, MAYBE in aliens/ufo's, but just wishful nonsense in prophecies.

Ignorance is abound.

Having said that, this forum is becoming more like a fantasy-retreat. Where people come to post their fantasies and indulge in others' to get away from the real world.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
WOW

Some of you just can't get it, can you???

This is NOT about Truth, or Hoaxes...

It is NOT about Bunking or Debunking...

It is about treating your fellow members with all the respect they deserve...

GOODNESS SAKES PEOPLE...

For those that read this and figure they should remain scarce... I would suggest that if you think you should, you should.. Perhaps ATS is not for you...

There are plenty of other forums where you can go to and bash people, call them names and be generally insulting all you want..

The simple fact and end result is.. You will NOT do that here... Period...

Come on.. Let's get it... Shall we?

Thank you. I wish this applied to all the forums. I'm seeing so much of it that I'm not sure how much longer I'll stick around ATS. Seems impossible to discuss anything lately.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

There's an Alert button for the scenarios you mention.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarrsAttax

There's an Alert button for the scenarios you mention.

I did Alert about that thread but it got better...now there is a reptilian answering the OP.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

ETA: It has been moved to a more appropriate forum. Thank you.
edit on 7-11-2010 by SonoftheSun because: Alert.

link   

What does this post have to do with being civil to fellow posters?

I think pretty much everyone here wants the truth.

Insulting members wont help the truth come out, it will hinder it, in my opinion.

If you disagree with a posters opinion, reply with a post on why you disagree with the post and perhaps provide evidence on why your disagree with their post. This will help the truth come out.

Cheers

link   
Wow, I am really not afraid to say this, but if this isn't proof to where this site is going, then I dont know WHAT is.

If the Site Owner can not clarify his point to members here, then imagine what the T&C and mods are going through.

Peace, NRE.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join