It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I see dead people...with bug out bags

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yankee prepper has one piece of bad advice - he says wear a ballcap to look inconspicuous. Bad idea. . Any hat with a brim will limit your vision of what's above you. In the city you will want to be aware of things above you like people looking to pick off loners and taking whatever you might have. Blend in but by all means retain your awareness of your surroundings - up, down, front, back - danger can be anywhere. Binoculars would be handy for scanning the buildings ahead of you.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I Agree and Disagree,

It depends where your at... If your in the City, your best chance is to bug out... to many ignorant people thinking their rudimentary financial and accounting skills will count for something.

If your out in a smaller town that has usable land.... then yes, you are correct, its best to hunker down and have a small community to defend.

A large city depends on Exports to survive, while a small town can sustain itself.

fox

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a765c608ded6.jpg[/atsimg]

I found it, but there is only one, and its mine!

Seriously, I've been shooting for roughly 42 years. I've lived a good portion of my life without modern conveniences. City folk would not fare well out in the "boonies" with little bit 'o nothing, but those of us who've lived old fashioned will have a better chance. I'm sure each and every one of us with a BOB also has a well stocked, prepared home but staying put isn't always an option. We like to be prepared enough - in advance - so that roughing it isn't as rough as it might be.

edit on 4/11/2010 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

I agree but you have to keep in mind its best to move to a secluded area. Chances are your home will get ransacked and you will be easily seen. Also, what if you are on the run...alien encounter,bombings. The only thing you can carry is your backpack of supplies you can easily haul. Gun will eventually run out of ammo but a knife can be used a long time if kept well. Every disaster is differnet so we should be prepared for every scenario just in case. Star and flagged!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

had to give you a star for that one.. !!!
Ya made me laugh out loud at work.. hehe.. I really want one of those trees!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

What
What freaking planet are you from? Your apocalyptic vision of the future doesn't really bode well in my eyes! This sort of scaremongering is unproductive/ false and totally anathema in the great scheme of things! Where's the positivity and hope? Do you want us all to just give up and die........ "not with a bang, but with a whimper!"

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
that will be the hardest thing to make your mind up on. stay at home and defend the house or head for the hills. depending on whats going on i will make my mind up when the time comes.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Do you like killing folk?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

LOL!! My ex will be ecstatic to know her search wasn't just a cheap laugh for me!! Seriously that's epic. We may have just started a new internet catch phrase!

Back on topic, as everyone has said in one way or another, the key thing will be to play to your own strengths. Mine just happen to be minimalistic in nature. This means I've specialized in small, fast, efficient shelters; living off the land through passive hunting; local edible plant life; and tactical positioning where flight trumps fight 90% of the time.

Now the problem with defending your house comes from most locations being horrible tactical locations. Lets address these. Landscaping provides cover for combatants. Yards give 360 degrees of possible attacking lines. Houses give very few fall back locations and even fewer emergency exits that can't easily be covered. Surveillance for the assailants is easy. It's hard for you to be alerted to approaching dangers.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You keep thinking that! The more that stay put in their cozy little death trap the better. More food for the rest of us. Enjoy!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Now't wrong with Haggis mate... provided it's dead!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

There's more to survival than having an organized and well-rounded bug-out-bag. People think that they're prepared when they have one, and stop on this essential but too emphasized step in survival.

I'm of the opinion bug-out-bags will be plentiful when worse comes to worse & TSHTF. Taking them off of an unfortunate corpse will be all too easy.

Do more than just pack that bug-out-bag!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Culdeeson
reply to post by kadyr80

What
What freaking planet are you from? Your apocalyptic vision of the future doesn't really bode well in my eyes! This sort of scaremongering is unproductive/ false and totally anathema in the great scheme of things! Where's the positivity and hope? Do you want us all to just give up and die........ "not with a bang, but with a whimper!"

Hi,

Many people still don't get it.... getting healthy, learning your inner strengths, learning to grow food, learning to find clean water, learning to be self-directed are all Positives.

That people will be forced to find these things in themselves during very difficult times to come, is likewise a massive Positive.

We do not grow from staying in our comfort zones, we grow from getting out of them, from being pushed by situations to dig deeper inside to find what we need to maintain further growth, Without difficulty, without the events that are approaching we simply will not grow out of the comfort zones we all love so much.

Anyone can extrapolate past and current trends to find where we are heading as a race on this world. We run on a mindset of Might is Right, and that is gradually working its way toward its natural conclusion. And, it cannot complete with a whimper because that is opposed to the basis of this mindset, so it has to complete with a full-tilt display of it's capability... particularly if humanity is to be finished with the need for this experience of Might is Right.

This is not doom and gloom.. this is an opportunity to grow and become self-directed and self-reliant...very Positive things to be sure.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by PayMeh

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a765c608ded6.jpg[/atsimg]

I found it, but there is only one, and its mine!

Seriously, I've been shooting for roughly 42 years. I've lived a good portion of my life without modern conveniences. City folk would not fare well out in the "boonies" with little bit 'o nothing, but those of us who've lived old fashioned will have a better chance. I'm sure each and every one of us with a BOB also has a well stocked, prepared home but staying put isn't always an option. We like to be prepared enough - in advance - so that roughing it isn't as rough as it might be.

edit on 4/11/2010 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

I've been shooting for 41 years. I lived as a young kid with no indoor plumbing - just a hand pumped well and an outhouse - the nearest McDonald was 45 miles away.

Not to discriminate against our urban brothers and sisters, but I have got to agree 100% unless they have had some serious survival training in the military, urbanos face an uphill struggle.

As for bug-in vs bug-out, I think it's like that song The Gambler "you got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run."

Me and Viet Nam vet friend of mine named Bill are shooting buddies; we've got this pact that if the SHTF, the first think we're gonna do is link up and combine supplies and figure out whether to hold at his and his lovely wife's place, or at mine and my lady's place, or just hit the woods, or the highway.

We've talked a lot about this kind of thing. He has a much larger armory than I do, and much, much more experience. He laughs when he says "Weeel I can only shoot one rifle at a time" so he's had me practicing on his rifles.

His wife and my GF are both crack shots. Bill's fantastic, and I'm not exactly a slouch.

I think some sort of close team, like a family unit, is optimum no matter what is going down. Four people means standing watch is shorter, and under stress you sleep whenever you can - it conserves calories and keeps you sane.

Might be something else for us all to consider.
edit on 4-11-2010 by mydarkpassenger because: dropped a word out

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
well if you live in a city you wont be driving out all the mayhem on the roads at the best of times imagene when every ones scard and in a hurry it just want work. and if its nukes most major citys will just be a big hole in the ground, so unless you live in the country a long way from citys id say your a goner

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Most people don't have the necessary survival skills to survive in a crisis. It takes more than planning it takes practice. Acquiring food in the wild is not as easy as you think. Carrying your food in a bob will only last so long. Go backpacking for a couple of weeks with all your stuff in a backpack to get an idea what you're in for. Water is not a big problem if there are streams nearby, you can either boil it or use a filter. Food and toilet paper run out quickly. Taking a bath in a cold stream is an experience but hygiene is important. If at all possible stay in place and be prepared for the long haul. Stored food will only last so long and you will either have to grow your own or scavenge for food. I do keep a bob in my vehicle just in case you never know when you will need it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Stop it, you're saying too much! I was looking forward to the easy pickings. If enough people read your thread, I'll have to work harder for loot if shtf.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

You should google how many atomic bombs have been detonated in Nevada, well over 1800.
Don't be worried about one bomb, most nukes carry more than one warhead.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

wear the hat backwards, so you look even less threatening.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I just like to comment and say great job kadyr80 on making this thread. We need more survival thread topics like this. If I could Star and Flag more; I would

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join