It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Would Support A Separate Volcano-Earthquake Forum?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It would be a great idea, a one stop thread covering both topics. So much hard work and research has gone into the volcano and earthquake threads though, would be a shame to watch those threads fizzle out as the newer thread gained popularity, as im sure it would. Count me and my basic knowledge well in.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

It's not a thread. It's an entire forum. A new forum on the par with the Fragile Earth forum, the Space Exploration forum, and all the rest. See all the forums that ATS has here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No existing threads would get deleted at all. Moving many of the earthquake/volcano threads into the new forum would need to happen, and I am prepared to assist with that. In fact, I'll do it all by my lonesome if necessary.

But these things take time, and SO probably has a lot more "important" things in the ole noggin right about now. He always does. Goes with the territory. Not much hope here, so don't you guys get your hopes up either. Support would have to be overwhelming, and vocal. So if anyone is in agreement with this and are not planning to respond, well, that isn't helping anything. Speak up.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
edit: dbl post...darn mouse button!
edit on Tue Nov 2nd 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You have my vote, oh and look it is November 2nd

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Great ideas, As many thing that are going on in the world, it would be a great idea, have a few sections, one to teach others and so they can ask basic questions, one for EQ's and one for Eruptions/activity.

Honestly i am surprised with the 600 plus pages on Yellowstone, that there is not a section dedicated to earth's movements.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Sorry, dont know how i misread that

I wasnt suggesting deleting the old threads
, no way, i even mentioned them fizzling out would be a shame. Its a great idea anyway, especially with the massively increased interest here.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yeah, but here's a better question:

How many would support this new forum if it wasn't me that suggested it?

Yeah. Thought so.

You know who you are.... (not directed at any responding to the thread)
edit on Tue Nov 2nd 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I'm all for this idea. EQ&V's been fascinating me all my life, and having it all in one place??? What can I do to help?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Absolutely

There are plenty who would help mod it, too

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

Well dude! You can have it! You think I wanna get stuck with all that work? I keep plenty busy enough just trying to start new threads and tend to the ones I have- in a lot of different forums. Just saying, if they did go for this, I was willing to volunteer to help get it done- that's all. It's one thing to suggest more work for someone else- but it's another to actually volunteer to do it. Glad you're up for it.
I nominate you.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I too am in favor of a separate volcano/earthquake forum.
second line

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I support this idea! Fragile Earth seems to me more appropriate for weather phenomena.. There have been increased seismic activity on the last few years that needs to be taken notice of.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

Well dude! You can have it! You think I wanna get stuck with all that work? I keep plenty busy enough just trying to start new threads and tend to the ones I have- in a lot of different forums. Just saying, if they did go for this, I was willing to volunteer to help get it done- that's all. It's one thing to suggest more work for someone else- but it's another to actually volunteer to do it. Glad you're up for it.
I nominate you.

Dudette

Not for me, I'm afraid, I rarely have time these days.. but there are plenty who will, I'm sure!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Sorry for the delay in posting and thank you for your kind words TA. Yes I would support such a forum of course.

I am not quite sure how I should put this. I feel a certain pressure building up on me to be 'an oracle' on quakes and volcanoes, a 'resident expert' etc, the 'Phage of Quakes' (!) and the facts are that I am not. I am sure there are many on ATS who are as knowledgeable as me, yourself included TA, and probably members who actually are experts - i.e. geologists.

I am not an expert. I did do a college course in geology in the days when plate tectonics was a newfangled idea and the earth was still flat, and I have had a life long interest in the subject. This makes me knowledgeable on the subject but does not make me a geologist or an expert and I would never claim to be one.

I like to think that I am reasonably intelligent and can decipher things in order to find out what is going on, but I am not the Pope - I am fallible. I make mistakes, and you have pulled me on them sometimes TA, and I am happy to admit when I am wrong. (OK I am not happy - but I will admit the error)

There is so much going on in the world to make people concerned - even afraid - that I feel it my duty to attempt to ease peoples minds on the subject of quakes and volcanoes, if such easement is reasonable and they are prepared to take it on board. They don't need unnecessary fear heaped on top of all the other trouble around.

I can be pompous, overbearing and not suffer fools gladly, when fools are people who should know better, but I will always make the attempt to explain to people who do not have the means to understand something. I also can get frustrated and lose my temper, and be very stubborn.

I do not look for acknowledgement, or should I say praise. I grew up in an era when you got no praise for anything and got the hell knocked out of you when you got something wrong, and on top of that I am British (stiff upper lip and all that don't you know) so I don't get quite as excited as some.

If someone says, mm yes I think you are right if I have made a point then that is sufficient. I care little for stars, flags, wats, karma and all that rubbish. Equally I would wish people to say No you are wrong, if I am. (Never!
)

So again thanks for the support of all of you that live and lurk in the Quake Watch and Volcano Watch and associated threads, and thank you all for your own input as many of you are just as much 'resident experts' as me.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

well said puterman !

all tho IM NOT An expect far from it . i just know a bit more then your typical fool who rants " OMFG WE RE ALL GOING TO DIE " type of person and i dont flip out and start making non sense threads . as in doing so would be to me a waste of time and bandwith

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think this is a FABULOUS idea! EQs & volcanic eruptions are one of the first things I go to (often *the* first) when I check in at ATS. These are fascinating & educational discussions & I really enjoy them! Thanks, all of Y'All!
Hope it happens- sometimes, it takes some digging to get back to specific threads. It would be great to have them all at hand

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
First, MoorfNZ, I am terribly sorry. Won't happen again. I was moving too fast, and frankly, mistook you for another member.

Originally posted by PuterMan
I like to think that I am reasonably intelligent and can decipher things in order to find out what is going on, but I am not the Pope - I am fallible. I make mistakes, and you have pulled me on them sometimes TA, and I am happy to admit when I am wrong. (OK I am not happy - but I will admit the error)

Well I don't like being wrong either, but it happens. When it does, I don't have too much of a problem admitting it either. The great thing is that the more one studies, the less they are wrong- for the most part.

You and I have developed an interesting dynamic, PM. I regard your opinion extremely highly, as I do Phage's. Cause I know that whatever you guys post is USUALLY going to be backed up by some kind of study. We must push each other however to learn more, and be eachother's measure of accuracy. With a good working dynamic between us, a commitment to quality, a substantial knowledge base that I feel goes beyond any current ATS SMEs in these particular fields, and a desire to achieve a higher level of accuracy here at ATS- I thought for starters both of us might make a fair choice to lead up this proposed new V/E forum.

But that by no means precludes others. It is a suggestion based upon what I have seen, and from spending more time than most here at ATS. I wish Shirakawa was still with us. Would have made a great candidate.

Others here are starting to earn that same respect from me as well. You can tell when people's posts start to reflect study.

Nothing however stops me from making up my own mind, checking on things for myself, and computing with my own brain. This is something we all must do in striving for excellence.

I am seriously considering going back to school for a degree in seismology, with related study centering on volcanoes. If that happens, I won't be on as much.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i am all for it as long as stays related to Vulcan and earth movement's, for i too see a need for it's own forum.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I am giving this a bump because I want it to stay in the light.

I believe it is well overdue and especially now, with everything tectonic/volcanic that is going on and the new studies/science that is coming out.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well, one last note of thanks to all who responded before my thread gets shut down.

Judging from the mere 30 flags, i.e. 30 people, that would like to see this new Vol/EQ forum, we don't stand a chance. And of course no staff has bothered to respond, so we can pretty well forget it. It looks like it is up to me now on my own if I want to see a forum dedicated to these things, I will need to go make it myself somewhere else. But hey, that's cool. I can always come back here when I get tired of the facts, and want to see BS threads get flagged to the top.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join