It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Legion's Nazi trip revealed in archive photos

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

British Legion's Nazi trip revealed in archive photos

www.bbc.co.uk

A delegation from the British Legion met Adolf Hitler in July 1935, recently uncovered photographs show.

The 148 images were in a swastika-embossed album found by an employee.

They show British veterans of World War I being saluted by Germans, and delegation leader Maj Francis Fetherston-Godley shaking hands with Hitler's deputy Rudolph Hess.

A concentration camp visit was not photographed, but details were included in the Legion's archive.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sky.com

CX

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
This story is fascinating.

I find it amazing that after everything that went on during WW1, the British Legion met with Hitler and some of his more well known associates.

Footage of the German visit to London includes rare film archive of the visitors giving a Nazi salute during a pleasure boat trip up the River Thames.

This photo got to me the most i think. I wonder what the people of London thought about this, the nazi flag being flown up the Thames?

A fascinating read for anyone into WW history.

Heres a short video showing video footage of the occasion...

British Legion meet Hitler

CX.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Wow...this is pretty fascinating.

I'm just going to make everyone known to the fact that this will be gone into more detail:

The full story will be told in the documentary Wartime Secrets, which airs on Sunday, November 7, at 10pm, on the Discovery History Channel.

I'd like to know what went really behind the scenes...and what they really talked about and met for...

edit on 1-11-2010 by BlackPoison94 because: because the British legions met Hitler!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

so what ?

no really - the nazi regieme of 1935 was not the german empire of 1918

drop the " 20/20 hindsight " and review what was KNOWN about the nazi regieme in 1935

visiting germany in 1935 was NOT a sign of collaboration or agreement with nazi policy - it was just a freaking visit - so - get over it

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Very few Europeans could have imagined in 1935 that another world war would happen within the next 4 years. Hilter knew, as did Churchill and perhaps Anthony Eden, but for the most part another war was unthinkable at that time.
Hitler had yet to even retake the Rhineland, often considered his first real act of "aggression". Hitler had talked of peace to the other western powers though his rearmament program by that time was beginning to show his true hand.
I did not know Dachau was an operational concentration camp as early as 1935 - that was a real surprise to me!

Britain did have a Blackshirt party, was the British legion was a part of that movement?
Fascism was on the rise throughout Europe at that time and aside from the Italian invasion of Ethiopia there were no other overt acts of war yet committed.

In a way, their trips back and forth (the legion and the german veterans) were a genuine attempt at reconciliation with those who were formerly enemies. There is nothing evil about what did, quite the opposite. I'm sure once Britain declared war on Germany they were patriotic Britons and did their duty whether active or in the home guard.

Interesting stuff, star and flag CX

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Many organizations were involved with the Nazi's in the 1930's. It the US the German-American Bund marched down broadway in NYC with great fanfare and local politicians in attendance. Photos in Life magazines show many smiling Bundesmenschen.The great depression had led many to look for any solution and it seemed like Hitler had one.
The US and Brits were seeking intel on the Nazi's military and industrial capabilities and some select members of this group may have provided it.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Some members of my family are actually recieving Christmas cards from a member of the Nazi era "Luftewaffe"who actually shot my great uncle out of the sky when he was commanding a Lancaster bomber.

One member of my family actually sends a card back.
Thats for real.

I have never been able to send a card back to the man who killed my relative,because I still hate him and who he worked for.
Even though I was not born the event happened.
I have the luxuary of hindsight.

My point is,hindsight is a wonderful and awful thing-but I doubt the Royal British Legion would have dealt with/met members of the 3RD Reich,if they had the benefit of hindsight.

Thats not who they are IMO.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
This photo got to me the most i think. I wonder what the people of London thought about this, the nazi flag being flown up the Thames?

They thought it was great, as long as those Nazis kept that scum communism at bay in continental Europe then friendship is acceptable. This is why the pre-Churchill government supported the Nazis.

Some members of my family are actually recieving Christmas cards from a member of the Nazi era "Luftewaffe"who actually shot my great uncle out of the sky when he was commanding a Lancaster bomber.

Thats for real.

War is funny like that. In the end, we realize that we are human.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Thats for real.

War is funny like that. In the end, we realize that we are human.

Or in my case one member of my family has realised that.

Not me yet sadly,if being human means being able to write a loving card to someone who supported the Nazi ideology and tries to excuse himself from evil by saying it was"a different time."

We have the same deal today IMHO,the choice to accept or reject the evil which still walks amongst us,usually in a smart suit and a political ideology of misdirection.

I may forgive some things,but I will never forget.
Those who do are doomed to repeat history IMHO.

new topics

top topics

join