It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the point in buying gold for when TSHTF?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I have had this discussion with a co-worker, he was big on buying gold. I told him bullets are a better investment. It gets me food, and if I really need, his gold. Having lots of something someone wants, makes you a target

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I don't have any gold,

I have Bottlecaps.... and a make shift pipboy

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Gold (as cash is today) would be a solid to allow for exchanges of goods and services.

The problem I see with gold though is that the BANKS still own most of the gold, thus still keeping them in charge of our financial situations.

Personally I think currency should be backed by population. for instance $1000 physical cash per person! However if the population decreases then they shouldn't take cash out to circulation, instead just not allow any more cash to be let out into society until the population goes above an average of 1000 dollars per person.

Yes there are still drawbacks to this, but at least it's a start to defeat the banks.

Direct trading of goods and services will not work, so some form of currency is needed. But how do we back up the currency without allowing the big banks to eventually take it over.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
reply to post by CX

The only thing as valued as gold is salt.

Another mineral you really can not live with out and becomes valued once the stock of store purchased salt runs out and peoples supplies dwindle..

Except there are Salt Flats and salt water and salt deposits in caves and I can set myself up for a lifetime with a salt lick or two. If anyone knows of a 30,000 acre parcel of land covered in gold, let me know.

I may be wrong, but I can't think of any time in recorded history where gold was not valued and an effective, accepted currency
edit on 2-12-2010 by Sideband because: added last sentence

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I still think cigarettes would be the best SHTF currency. I mean, I have no use for them, they are small, so can carry lots of them, and they are light. Yet I can probably trade them for all kinds of other needs, to short-sighted individuals with an addiction.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
You can't eat gold. You can't drink gold. Gold coins won't keep you warm at night. Gold coins can't be used as ammo to protect yourself with. Gold coins can't be used to help keep your body safe from radiation. As far as we are concerned here .... those other things are more important .. food, water, shelter, self defense. Gold is not even on our radar.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was even said in the new zombie TV series, The Walking Dead, about guns being more valuable than gold, in such a situation. I would agree though, that in a SHTF scenario, the most likely valuables would be:

Guns
Ammo
Knives
Food
Water
Flashlights
Batteries
Fuel
Liquor
Cigarettes
Drugs (both medicinal and narcotic)
Camping Supplies