It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

36 Ind. unemployment officers to have armed guards

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
reply to post by Jessicamsa

wow that sucks, in this it sounds Like it is your ex to blame and he is at fault for messing your life up not walmart for say.

What a poster just brought up about hiring is I’m able to find that exact person I need for the job. I’ve went through a few job apps when hiring for a position a few months back ( more like 220 apps) and was able to nitpick all the way down to the one person that had everything I needed. Only had to train him for a week and he was off on his own.

I’m able to do that because there is so many people looking for a job I CAN take my time and find the right person for the right job without training. And that my friends saves the company $$$$$$$

Yes, he was a factor, but Wal-mart still went against policy to treat me in that manner. And I have no recourse with the company because of their policies, thus it is their fault as well. They still put some sort of lies about me in their computer system to blacklist me from other Wal-marts and Sams Clubs. That is not right at all.

Yes, training people for the job is very good thing to do. A lot of companies don't want to do that though and expect the candidate to know what to do right away.

I ran my own business for years. I never treated people like that. If I had the money, I'd try starting something up again.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
While any system of "welfare" can and DOES get abused, to cast all people on unemployment as lazy crooks is disingenuous and, frankly, rude. In addition, speaking out of ignorance about the plight of the unemployeed and what "they" are doing wrong (or simply not doing) when one has not directly experienced the challenges involved is nothing more than thinly disguised politcal baiting.

The main problem, I think, is that our economy was eroded to the point that many industries were over-resourced and nothing was done about it until the lack of money forced it. Other industries are STILL very much under-resourced, but there is training involved. As an example, there is a severe lack of talent in software development, specifically developers who can work with Microsoft products. There is a LOT of work out there, but noone to sit at the keyboards. This has led to hiring less and less qualified folks and/or rushing the jobs and putting out a diminishing quality of work.

My advice to the unemployeed... take advantage of whatever free or reduced price training you can get and start diversifying.

Now, as for the OP, it does seem a bit extreme that they would have to put in armed guards at the unemployment office. It seems a bit crazy that we hear about how the economy is "not that bad" while at the same time we see issues like this.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePacifist

Hi. That doesn't surprise me about the attitude. What is a CV? Current vacancy? That's the only thing I could think of, but I wanted to make sure that was accurate.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It is a dicey situation and in some ways the Internet works against job seekers because it removes the hiring from needing to interact with actual people. On October 15, I was laid off. I have never been really unemployed in my entire life and it is a nervous time. I've been an mid-level executive getting paid a Silicon valley salary, yet I have no four year degree. I can produce gobs of references and proven skills and accomplishment. I've had subordinates with law degrees, MBAs and PhDs, but the online applications will all filter me out because I don't meet their 4-year degree or MBA requirement. So unless I have some "inside baseball" angle, I am out. My industry was very nichey and while I had great street cred there, our industry is stalled at best so jobs are very few. Even worse, I am in Florida where pay is less than 50% of the pay in CA for the same type of work. I don't have hard stas on that, but I do have gobs of anecdotal evidence from the job searching.

I filed for unemployment for the first time in my life. Remember, I paid into the system for about 25 years, so this ain't charity brother. Unemployment in FL is capped at $275/week. I was making over $150k. Two years ago I had tons of savings, but divorce wiped it all out (craxy ex would not settle and forced two properties into foreclosure and let her almost paid for car get repossessed). So back up money is scarce and credit, once in the high 700's is shot. Guess how that comes into play? Most companies now do credit checks.

So I'm in a big time between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place place. Don't cry for me (Argentina), but the point is most unemployed I know are not sitting on their butts, gleefully racking in the paltry unemployment, which in my household only covers food. People like me want to work, we kick butt for our employers, but we are somewhat shut out looking for jobs through traditional means. I'm smart, so I'll figure something out if I have to invent it, but unemployment is not some worker paradise.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Hi. That doesn't surprise me about the attitude. What is a CV? Current vacancy? That's the only thing I could think of, but I wanted to make sure that was accurate.

CV = Ciriculum Vitae -- basically a very detailed resume.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

CV = Ciriculum Vitae -- basically a very detailed resume.

Ah ok ty. I kept seeing it abbreviated on here and finally decided to ask what it was.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

NO! I Disagree, I know so many people right now on unemployment that have no desire to get off their butts and get a job. The government is paying them .90 cents on the dollar of what they use to make working. And they get this for 99 WEEKS! are you kidding me. After 99 WEEKS I think it’s time to cut them off!
edit on 27-10-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Where are you getting your figures from, .90 cents on the dollar is not true, links please?

Surpised that Indiana has all those unemployment offices, not so in Michigan, everything is done from one place in Lansing, Michigan and no one can visit there, all done online or over the telephone. They closed the walk-in offices years ago to save money.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

You wish i would lose my job so I would know whats going on? Lets see spring 2009 I lost my construction job, you know what I did, I went out and found a new job,three days later I was washing dishes at a IHOP. Not exactly the job I was looking for but you know what it paid the bills. There are jobs out there, you just have to look.

I believe the problem is people arn't living within their means.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I like to give my perspective of what is going on in Indiana, I am one of the numbers that you will not see reported with the fraudulent numbers being stated at present time for unemployment figures. I am one of the groups that don't receive unemployment, I am one of the group that won't apply for welfare, we are a group that cashed in our 401K after losing our careers during Bush to sustain us while looking for new employment.You must also know, I am of a group that could see this coming, because we had already experienced this during Reaganomics. We pulled our money out even taking a loss because I will not let Wall Street take my money again with my government permission. Some of you posting are not looking at the whole picture. You only see through your own biases or filters. I would like to at least give you an example for my state only, Indiana

We have a Governor touting job growth, job growth. We had a local news agency investigate these new job growth numbers because they could see something was not adding up. They found about 40% of the new job growth promoted by Governor Mitch Daniels, and called successes by the Indiana Economic Development Corp. a farce.

The job growth they were investigating were from the years 2006-2008, and guess what they found. The investigative news team found empty corn fields, deserted factories and this is the same crap all across the state. This is job growth.

Now, add on 2009 and 2010. You already know this atrocity.

I want to say, My fiance and I, as well as his fellow truckers from his company are buying weekly canned food, beans and rice and pitching in to buy meat from farmers to feed approximately 150 plus at a mission, not on a weekly basis, but we do what we can, do you want to know who these people are? Human Beings! All! The majority are not on welfare, the majority are not on unemployment, the majority are my age group. 40 to 50plus. These people and I were what was once considered the blue collared worker, the backbone of our nation.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
While we were living in Philly, my wife attended one of the Career Link seminars (mandatory in PA). The seminar's goal is to help you find work as quickly as possible to make sure you spend as little time on Unemployment as possible. They help you put your resume online so that you'll be exposed to as many hiring positions as possible.
My wife had a decade in retail, she excels in the field going from running a register to becoming Manager & Buyer for the store she worked in less than 3 years. She received not a single hit on her resume webpage for two years.
The seminar instructor instructed people to expect to sit on their unemployment because there will be no jobs for a while.
I read people saying that they sat on their unemployment because it paid more than the job they were offered, but my wife jumped on the first job that came her way, making much less than her unemployment. We knew it would eventually run out, so we didn't want to risk it. One job offer (in an independently run store, not a corporation) in over 2 years. Luckily she was able to get the extensions she did.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well,this is what I believe.

You have to go college to get a good job.

That is what Obama and all the Democrat politicians keep telling people.

Of course what they are not telling you is that even if you do You would compete with 17 million people who have 4 year degrees working menial jobs that only require a high school diploma!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

I agree wholeheartedly with your post, but I was told the same in the 80's. If I recall correctly, that fiasco produced lots of student loans not repaid, and a lot of these loans were politicians children as well as the elite that benefited the most.
I went into skilled trades, that don't benefit me now either. It is time for our nation to realize this is not about Republican or Democrat, it's about us.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
reply to post by camaro68ss

I'd have to disagree with you. My wife lost her job in 2008, when Bush was still in office, and spent the next two years beating the streets with resumes, we ended up losing our home, and had to move in with her parents in NC.

Sorry that you lost your home, but in reality, it was time to sell the home when she lost her job and you could no longer afford it.

I've sold five homes in the last 20 years due to being downsized, and lost money on three of them.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by electricalpup
I like to give my perspective of what is going on in Indiana, I am one of the numbers that you will not see reported with the fraudulent numbers being stated at present time for unemployment figures. I am one of the groups that don't receive unemployment, I am one of the group that won't apply for welfare, we are a group that cashed in our 401K after losing our careers during Bush to sustain us while looking for new employment.You must also know, I am of a group that could see this coming, because we had already experienced this during Reaganomics. We pulled our money out even taking a loss because I will not let Wall Street take my money again with my government permission. Some of you posting are not looking at the whole picture. You only see through your own biases or filters. I would like to at least give you an example for my state only, Indiana

We have a Governor touting job growth, job growth. We had a local news agency investigate these new job growth numbers because they could see something was not adding up. They found about 40% of the new job growth promoted by Governor Mitch Daniels, and called successes by the Indiana Economic Development Corp. a farce.

The job growth they were investigating were from the years 2006-2008, and guess what they found. The investigative news team found empty corn fields, deserted factories and this is the same crap all across the state. This is job growth.

Now, add on 2009 and 2010. You already know this atrocity.

I want to say, My fiance and I, as well as his fellow truckers from his company are buying weekly canned food, beans and rice and pitching in to buy meat from farmers to feed approximately 150 plus at a mission, not on a weekly basis, but we do what we can, do you want to know who these people are? Human Beings! All! The majority are not on welfare, the majority are not on unemployment, the majority are my age group. 40 to 50plus. These people and I were what was once considered the blue collared worker, the backbone of our nation.

What a great post, and thanks for your efforts!

I hope your situation improves, as you were obviously prepared and took steps to ensure that you were covered given the eventuality of job loss. Good for you!

We need more great citizens like yourself.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

There not refusing, please change your terminology. you make it sound like all companies are in on not hiring anyone on purpose.

yes ... they are refusing
Americans

but they will def hire Chinese
and Taiwanese at $2.00 an hr
on mainland China.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
and this is only temporary
with the armed guards.
Once Americans find out
it was really the banks and
Wall Street and the elite
who caused this, then the
armed guards will be shifted
to guard the elite's plantations
and estates to protect the elite
and the banks. By that time,
nobody will be using their
printed dollars and it will be
worthless ..... and soon
they will be alone
hiding in a bunker
for eternity.
Kind of reminds me
of rats and roaches
don't ya think?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. I have scanned several online newspaper sources to see what the comments would be to this story, apparently people are asleep or I am truly hoping they have been at work and have not seen this story. This is absolutely disgusting to continue, this should be raising flags. Thanks

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

That's what all those bunkers are for.
[2nd Line]

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire

That's true. Eighteen new positions opened up at the local Walmart when we first moved back to NC. One of the reasons we moved back here (the job market looked better). My wife applied, but never got a call back. My wife's sister, who knows the manager of that Walmart, admitted that all eighteen positions were filled by either high school students or those fresh out of high school. His reason? "High school students receive a base wage of minimum earnings. If we'd of hired unemployed family men or women, they would require a higher base wage. Its simple economics."

Another example of the system is this:
The local Lowes Food Grocery store recently laid off 16 employees and then instantly hire 16 new employees. No reason was given to the laid off employees other than economic reasons, but next month Lowes Food had some PR commercials showing they'd hired a slew of new employees, so those, not in the know about what had really happened were applauding the company for building up the local economy.
edit on 27-10-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

And they probably got some form of federal tax incentive or break for "hiring" them also. I know what your talking about, the companies aren't hiring the laid off workers because most of them are older or as you commented on require a higher base wage. They are putting those police/guards in the offices because they know that when the checks stop coming in people will go to the office wanting an extension and/or say that they never used up their unemployment. It happening around christmas is a double wammy to say the least and during the winter season too. If you have a job, be lucky to have one because people who are getting the jobs at my place tend to be from overseas (the new thing, insourcing the foreign work to your US company). America is turning into Mexico, where the their are two classes minus a middle class. If your lucky to get into the top tier your in a gated community and making it, but if your not your working a base pay job and having to deal with rising food prices and services along with a corrupt local/state govt..

Welcome, welcome to the sunny shores and breathtaking views from the Banana Republic of the United States of America. Brought to you by the greedy and shortsighted bankers and politicians of the country.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join