It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Enhance Your AR Platform Rifle

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

If you want a rail on that hand grip it may not be level. Standard hand grips have these lips on either side of the holes that make placing rails evenly a pain in the ass. My suggestion, if you want rails, get a quad rail hand grip.

They can be a pricey, but they are worth it.

Carbine length hand grip

When taking the grips off do one side at a time. Same with putting them back in.

There are instructional videos online on how to do this:

This uses a removal tool...You can buy one, but I don't think you'll need it.

Either way you choose to go, you are going to need to remove at least one hand guard. I've done it to both my rifle length and my wife's M4 without the tool.
edit on 3-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Thanks for the info man. Looks like i got some shoppin to do.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

No problem at all.

If you have any more questions send me an e-mail, a U2U or just post 'em here.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I admittedly haven't read the whole thread, but how do you all feel about a retrofit gas piston system? I've seen talk of all different kinds of mods, but not this one. Are these not reliable? It sure would eliminate a lot of the inherent problems that come from carbon fouling.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

The reason I didn't mention it is because many of the mod kits in the market are more expensive than it would be to buy an brand new upper receiver with a gas/piston system.

Gas piston isn't always the most reliable system either. While it may keep your rifle cleaner, misfires are more common as the gas pressure may be dissipated by piston itself and the bolt may fail to fully reset(this is most common in short stroke piston systems).

Honestly it depends on the type of kit you buy. But if you really want a gas/piston system I recommend buying a complete upper receiver featuring a piston system.

SM2

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I built mine from the ground up, picked each part carefully to get reliability and accuracy out of it. You really do not have spend thousands of dollars to make it happen either.

The parts I used.... A3 flat top upper with forward assist, 16 inch heavy, fluted barrel, mid length gas system, M4 style feed ramps. it has the nitride finish rather then the parkerized, the barrel is also nitride vs chrome lined, as nitride is a through and through finish system rather than a lining. The lower receiver is from Spykes Tactical, also with the nitride finish. The Bolt and carrier group came from Bravo Company, It is a full auto bolt , with the nitride finish. The trigger assembly is a Timney 2 stage trigger, the rest of the lower parts came from Spykes tactical as well, keep in mind it is not a full auto rifle, just used a full auto bolt as they tend to stand up to the test of time a little better, as they are designed for the higher chamber pressures and such from full auto or burst firing. I use a standard M4 style stock, but in the next few weeks I am stepping up a magpul stock and a hydraulic buffer system, as well as a free floating guard system by Black rain Ordinance, Magpul flip up back up sights and an EoTech holographic sight. .

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SM2

And all it cost you was your first born.

Yep, My build cost me a pretty penny as well over time.

But it's a tack driver now.

SM2

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Actually as it stands now I have $750 into it. I went a total scratch built deal, the lower receiver is a blemish, got it for $50, ya know save a little where ya can

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SM2

A good lower shouldn't cost that much. 50 bucks is good. Especially it it's stripped.

I'm looking into blowing some cash on a new trigger system that'll give me a one pound pull.

Should keep me pretty accurate.
edit on 27-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

SM2

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Yeah it was from Spykes tactical, a striped lower that was a blemish, the blemish was the engraving was not as deep as they typically have, so the color fill option was not available, all though I was able to color fill it myself once I got it home. Here is a pic of it the day I got it assembled and put the first 500 rounds through it.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I just wanted to bring something up from the beginning of this thread.
The MAGPUL angled grip, I would advise against using it, unless your one of the high-speed type people, where all you do is kick in doors and stay on the gun most of the mission. For regular types, who hump 8 hours through palm groves or mountains, and than take contact somewhere along the way, it's just too fuc**ng uncomfortable. Way easier to have one of those folding forward grips like the ones zohal makes.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

In other words you do something like this guy suggests?

edit on 5-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I'm not really quite sure what you're getting at.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Want shiny boots, spend money. Want a good AR-15, spend money. Same idea.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Gotcha, gotcha. Also very true.

I spent a good amount of money making sure I have a serious weapon that will last a long time should I need it for anything....stressful...

Not that a stock AR won't do the trick, mind you, but there are improvements to be made.

Have you seen the US P.A.L.M. AK? Same thing. They took a tried and true weapon system and made it more efficient.

edit on 5-11-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I know nothing of assault rifles. If I had one though, and wanted it better, I would spend money on the parts that frequently mess up. Your thread gave me an idea for another thread.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Bolt and carrier group, firing pin, trigger group, barrel.

Those are the most important parts.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join