It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Faces Fine For Copying Passwords

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

news.sky.com

Google could face heavy fines under Britain's privacy laws after it admitted copying computer passwords and entire emails from households across the UK.

The US firm says the personal data was picked up from wireless networks when its fleet of cars drove down residential roads taking photographs for its highly controversial Street View project.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
latimesblogs.latimes.com

CX

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Surprising? Not so much.

I wonder if we will be told who's details were taken? Doubtfull.

The fine they get for this, if indeed they get one at all, will be nothing to them.

I'm more concerned about where these passwords and emails really ended up.

It's getting harder and harder to trust certain companies these days, and anyone who has anything to do with them.

Unfortunately with Google, there is much to be wary of.

The choice is ours i guess.

CX.

news.sky.com

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The real question here is... Who are they paying the fines TO?

Me thinks it's NOT the people they stole FROM...
edit on 24/10/2010 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

news.sky.com

Google could face heavy fines under Britain's privacy laws after it admitted copying computer passwords and entire emails from households across the UK.

The US firm says the personal data was picked up from wireless networks when its fleet of cars drove down residential roads taking photographs for its highly controversial Street View project.

Related News Links:
latimesblogs.latimes.com

Wow, "don't be evil", indeed.

I wonder where the 'good' was, in that action?
edit on 24-10-2010 by autobono because: scramble in the summer sky

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
wow, they actually saved peoples passwords? That is low.

Just to give google a head start, the current password for "ALL" my sites, is "icehouse1"

Except ats of course.

I came up with it when I was drinking icehouse.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yea the big problem is that they will be paying this "fine" that they knew they were going to have to pay when they got caught and still went ahead and stole the information. The fine will not amount to enough money to matter to Google, they made plenty of money mining the information and selling to whomever wanted it.

"Don't be evil"

Ha they abandon that slogan long ago. They have repeatedly shown many shady activities and people still seem to look the other way.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWtoHide
Yea the big problem is that they will be paying this "fine" that they knew they were going to have to pay when they got caught and still went ahead and stole the information. The fine will not amount to enough money to matter to Google, they made plenty of money mining the information and selling to whomever wanted it.

Yea, that's true. That concept of a fine sure didn't work as a deterrent (if it was intentional).

I wonder how the fine compared against the monetary value of the actual collected data, if this was the indeed point (if it was intentional).

Unless money wasn't the motivation?

Anyway, they claim to have collected it passively, and that it was some sort of accident. So, it's that easy, to accidentally harvest unsecured data?

Scary...

"Don't be evil"

Ha they abandon that slogan long ago. They have repeatedly shown many shady activities and people still seem to look the other way.

At what point did they lose the point of their motto, I wonder?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I saw this earlier but already figured most people on here would already know this info so i didnt bother....

It is obviously being nosey.... noseying into our business as usual.....

I wonder what will happen in the next few years over all this new tech which is coming our way..... it's going to get pretty messy me think with our Identities....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This was on BBC news [radio 1] all day today. The thing that gets me is they said Google apologies's and will delete all of them. What? Google have no intentions in deleting them, they copied them for a reason. They are working with the NSA afterall

Is Google really your friend?

No!

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Appalling behavior on the part of Google. I fail to understand what street view capture cameras have got to do with snooping unsecure wireless networks. The two are completely different. Why would someone doing video recording be snooping unsecure wireless networks. What information are they looking for and how is that helping their streetview.
One cannot but have an impression that Google is doing something else in addition to street view footage capture. The equipment required to snoop wirelss networks is completely different from say video cameras.
Why isn't anyone in MSM asking this question.
edit on 24-10-2010 by Timetraveller because: incomplete last line

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
how long would it take a hacker to get into a close-by wireless network?
I'm betting it would take a lot longer than the time it takes to drive past a house.
So Google must have developed some pretty advanced software to be picking up on peoples' personal data in such a short time.

This would take work to develop, so the question is, why did they put that effort in? What are they getting out of it? Or is this a service they are performing for someone else who wants data on everyone?

I would not take their apology too seriously. What they've admitted to is only what has been proven against them. God only knows the full extent of their spying.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
When google does this they get a fine
if anyone else does this they get federal charges
what does that tell you

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

For me to to get into someones protected network it depends on their router
some routers it would take me 5 mins
some would take 30 seconds
and thats with everyday INTERNET available tools

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by blankduck18

Thanks for your answer.
After getting in, how long to get passwords and emails?

I'm just hoping for an educated guess, I'm not assuming you would do any of that.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
'Yes, well, if you don't want everyone knowing your online pursuits, perhaps you shouldn't be doing them in the first place.'

zionist eric schmidt

top topics

join