It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Traveller Caught on 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
that footage is weird and worthy of ferther research, or we could just all make something up?

o.k. making something up seems like a good thing.

i believe she/he is holding a black slim diary to her/his ear and talking to the birds to make herself/himself feel better, not because it is a normal thing to do, but because it is possible and it would mean i do not have to entertain a mobile phone being suspected or just admit i have no idea.

that's my guess, my actual opinion is i am stumped, star and flag, thanks for posting, what ever he/she is holding.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by all answers exist

Originally posted by OldDragger
Highly suspicious.
If he's a "time traveler", who would he be speaking to on a cellphone?
I'm pretty sure service was spotty in 1928. not many towers then.
I'd like to see the original movie. Does it seem very likley that Chaplin would film this guy talking on a strange device and nobody would inquire what he was doing? Wouldn't even be curious?
Something fishy here.

exactly, assuming he's a time traveler, who's he talking to? others on the same mission/ team members? one could assuming no time traveler would travel alone for obvious and maybe not obvious reasons, who knows?

also if it is a he, would he not stick out like a saw thumb dressed as a old lady, why would he not wear mens clothing, little less conspicuous

the two thing I can't figure out is she/he looked at the camera, 1st rule in filming/acting never look into the camera and he is clearly talking with someone, an not talking to loudly as it appears, which one would do if they were talking to anyone next to them on a film set that is live and people are walking back and forth (no one is with in hearing distance)

Good points

If its a extra, why would they look at the camera.
And if it is people fprm the future ( cant believe am typng that lol) if they can bend time, am assuming they dont need cell towers too communicate.....Its not a "real mobile phone", a device that their tech that can move you between times, would permit talking also possibly.....

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ouroborus2012

your avatar scares me alot!

link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
That movie of San Francisco's Market Street a few days before the big 1906 earthquake is loaded with time travelers running all over the place. It's just like the movie "Grand Tour" with Jeff Daniels. They must zoom around in time to witness major disasters for curiosity and amusement.

Really? What movie is this? First I've ever heard of it and would love to check it out.

if you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

BTW - your line about time travelers zooming around to witness major disasters reminded me of both the "Bodach's" from Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books (best ones he's written - hands down), and also the book by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter (I think) called "The Light of Other Days"....

link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Think he means this.

www.cbsnews.com...

It's 11 minutes long, unedited. But how anyone could make out time travellers in it is beyond me.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
What we have here is a case of cultural projection. We don't actually "see" anything in the person's hands, but because we are conditioned to conclude that someone with their hand to their head must be talking on a cell phone, some people think they see just that.

To further scrutinize this guy's hypothesis, no one holds a cell phone in the manner the person's hand is displayed nor in the way the young man demonstrates in his own video. People hold cell phones with the ends of their fingers, not with their fingers wrapped around the phone.

In short, this guy is using his imagination to come to his conclusion, not observable fact.

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My deaf friend can read lips pretty well and after closer inspection he's convinced he can tell what the person's saying:

"Hello? Can you hear me now??"

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Cultural projection is definatly involved, but thats if its a traditional cell phone, not a device, i agree though, we do want to see something cool here, so we are projecting...unless of course it really is something worth investingating....

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
Well if that aint interesting to someone who has no explanation for it than I don't know what is!

The person appears to be walking with their hand to their ear, and speaking at the same time.

Either it is a cellular device, or a wrist com thingie...but I have no idea how old those are.

The person SEEMS to be trying to hide their face, maybe even has a fake nose? That's the first thing I noticed "Wow what a big ol' shnoz!"

wow unbelievable things are getting stranger and stranger everyday, did you see his/her feet?I'm sorry those are not female feet.I don't know what to think a cell phone? i'm going to have to start watching old films again

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
My deaf friend can read lips pretty well and after closer inspection he's convinced he can tell what the person's saying:

Well if true, that would be cool and spooky, however we have our own resident deaf alien on ATS so Ill wait till he's online to get his opinion.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by Hefficide

Good on ya heff!
Like the extra in drag explanation.

The ear clutch isnt the ear being clutched, but a possble object to the ear...it is a odd behaviour.....for back then...given the talking talking part....

I'm with Drums, hope someonce can post a still we can look at.
edit on 21-10-2010 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)
were walkie talkies invented??

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just a suggestion, but perhaps the old woman was holding a "hearing horn"? I think they were still in use when the Chaplin movie was made.

"London Hearing Horn":
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f7b41f19e54.jpg[/atsimg]

Brass with black finish, marked "3", denoting the larger of three sizes. 3 1/2" long, 2 1/8" diameter perforated end plate. Good condition, with worn finish.

www.americanartifacts.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

I dont think so, and if they were, they were waaay bigger than a slim dark object in their hand

link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
She's definitely talking, but because of the clothing that she wears we can see it is the cooler time of the year. I'd say she is holding a small black purse to her ear to keep the cold away from her ear, and at the same time she is talking to the man in front of her.
well if she was talking to the man in front he wasn't paying attention!

link   

Originally posted by Balkan

You sure you just didn't read it here instead.

Anyway, yeah, the video looks pretty bizarre for the time period tbh. There's definitely someone talking into something that looks like a mobile phone after all, but it's not clear to say for definite what it actually is.

edit on 21-10-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
That movie of San Francisco's Market Street a few days before the big 1906 earthquake is loaded with time travelers running all over the place. It's just like the movie "Grand Tour" with Jeff Daniels. They must zoom around in time to witness major disasters for curiosity and amusement.

Yay, absolutely brilliant Movie, a must watch and very realistic!

If I had the chance to do that, time travel, see great things in the past etc., I would do it like a shot!

Bring it on man!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Ziggy, great find! Thanks, highly possible they were in use....but the shape doesnt seem right, and at the end of the day, who is he/she talking to?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Wasn't that film called Timescape.? I remember it well. 'Grand Tour.?'

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
What we have here is a case of cultural projection. We don't actually "see" anything in the person's hands, but because we are conditioned to conclude that someone with their hand to their head must be talking on a cell phone, some people think they see just that.

To further scrutinize this guy's hypothesis, no one holds a cell phone in the manner the person's hand is displayed nor in the way the young man demonstrates in his own video. People hold cell phones with the ends of their fingers, not with their fingers wrapped around the phone.

In short, this guy is using his imagination to come to his conclusion, not observable fact.

Well then look again, at the slowdowned clips with the closeup, and you will see that it DO indeed look like an actual object inside the hand.
It is not only the position of the hand that gives off an illusion of that it has to be something inserted in it, so to speak, but it acually DO look like an actual object in itself.

The only explanation I can see if it is not an actual object, is that it is a very solid shadow that is formed at that exact place in the hand/face, but I somewhat really doubt that.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by ziggystar60

Ziggy, great find! Thanks, highly possible they were in use....but the shape doesnt seem right, and at the end of the day, who is he/she talking to?

These kind of hearing horns or domes came in a lot of different shapes, you can see some of them here:

www.sicologic.com...

And I don't think the woman was talking to anyone. She was probably just listening to what was going on around her.

Remember: "To speak is silver, silence is gold."

Edit to add that it does in fact seem like the woman is talking. My guess is that she is talking to the man who is walking in front of her. Or rather running away from her.... Perhaps he would have prefered some golden silence too..?
edit on 21/10/10 by ziggystar60 because: Adding paragraph.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join