It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC's Nick Robinson stamps on protester's anti-war sign

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Remember that the independent camera man filming Nick Robinson during and after his broadcast was not wearing camouflage he was always clearly visibly filming him.

Just a hissy fit, certainly, but smashing an anti-war placard is just in bad taste. Like I said it was a fruitless venture as there was another one up a few moments later, which he would have seen as he grabbed the first one.

How else can protesters get their message on prime time news? Not much anti-war broadcasts on the BBC, and the message was relevant to the report being broadcast.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Do you take time to listen to every person who knocks at your door representing a charity?...bother to read every leaflet that comes through your door? or more likely throw it straight into the bin. You are ignoring their message too...he didn't do anything whilst the cameras were rolling, by the time he pulled the sign down the report was over and it was no longer having it's desired effect anyway.

I currently work for two charities in the UK, and I generally give anyone coming to my door the time of day because I know what its like, and I approve of what their doing. It would be hypocritical of me not to.

He only didn't do anything while the camera was rolling because he would be disciplined by his superiors in the BBC. Just to nit pick a little further someone payed for that wood and board and he smashed it up.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Hypothetical question here...how many of you would continue a conversation and say nothing, if someone was standing behind you waving a sign and distracting the person you are talking to?

You may all claim you would ignore it, but in reality I don't think so.

I get what your saying here, but on topic it's not a conversation it is a public broadcast and like I said as a representative of the BBC he should have been better behaved. Total over reaction.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I also agree with the sign, but the reporter did well to keep going with his report to camera, since he had been pasted with something unknown from behind, albeit a party popper or something similar. Banner wavers are commonplace, and it could be there was something more going on, but that's just speculation. I remember a similar incident when a BBC woman reporter who was actually sympathetic to a protest by women, turned on a silly particular individual who kept shouting over the reporter when she was doing her piece to camera and ruining her/their story. Nick Robinson's reports are often pretty informative and respected. People should not interfere in this way with someone doing their job.
edit on 21-10-2010 by smurfy because: text

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Well Nick Robertson is a War Correspondent; his profession by trade is covering a war, that’s how he makes his living.

No it isn't, but then I am used to you not really caring about the truth or checking your facts..

He is Political Editor and doesn't cover the "war", only if it overlaps into his domain as Political Editor.

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
So I think it would be wise to always keep in mind that media always has a financial motive to promote war, and to help the governments sell them.

Nick was kind enough today to remind of us that!

So, the BBC has a financial incentive in the war, despite being publicly funded and historically not shying away from pointing out the Governments failings in both Iraq and Afghanistan? If anything, the BBC gets chided for spending money sending reporters halfway round the world and certainly does it's reporting on the cheap with the grainy video links they use that look like poor quality You-Tube videos, because they won't pay for the expensive full-bandwidth video streams via sattelite.

Once more, you're talking out of the proverbial...

So the guy got fed up with a sign bobbing around his head, it certainly isn't the first time a reporter has lost it due to nobheads messing around and it isn't restricted the the UK, the BBC or even matters concerning War.

In fact, the BBC is legally bound to be impartial, so one could argue they had to remove the sign visible in their broadcast. The comments above about common law are irrelevant. If the "owner" of the sign feels slighted, they can make a complaint about criminal damage, but the CPS and Police would most likely not pursue such a case as it wouldn't be in the Public interest and a waste of money.
edit on 21/10/10 by stumason because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I know nothing of the man. Just looked like somebody losing the rag when faced with an annoyance to me.

Thats understandable. If somebody deliberately interfered with me doing my job I would take it personally regardless of their political leaning or what they thought they were achieving.

Granted, i'm not a journalist, and they should be able to rise above it all with professional disdain. Unfortunately in the real world people get wound up by things. The effect is cumulative and the outcome not always predictable or reasonable.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

In fact, the BBC is legally bound to be impartial, so one could argue they had to remove the sign visible in their broadcast.

Aledgedly. They weren't too impartial when they refused to broadcast the Gaza aid appeal. Or maybe that was impartial depending on your point of view.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I love how how the second banner came straight up.

Persistence is key.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
God that was funny, i just loved when he walked off and a second sign popped up, it really was like a comedy sketch.

Look reporters get this all the time and i'm sure that he just lost his temper. This was obviously wrong and it's easily argued that what he did is criminal damage. I understand why he did it but that's no excuse for what he did. He's supposed to be a professional and should conduct himself like one.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
reply to post by stumason

In fact, the BBC is legally bound to be impartial, so one could argue they had to remove the sign visible in their broadcast.

Aledgedly. They weren't too impartial when they refused to broadcast the Gaza aid appeal. Or maybe that was impartial depending on your point of view.

That was a complicated situation, there was no guarantee that anything sent to Gaza would actually get there, (the Israeli blockade) is obviously the main reason, without the BBC being specific. There was no guarantee that even if aid got to Gaza, that it would be used in areas of most need. In 2010 however, there have been at least two statements from the UN in regard to the blockade, the first came from Ban Ki-Moon saying in a personal view that the blockade was illegal because it was unenforceable. The second is from the UN saying the same. I would suggest then, that an appeal from the original grouping to the BBC today would be responded to.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Both lifeform11 and StevenDye make good points.

The whole video was epic. Thank you for posting.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Congratulations to the person with the video phone, camera, Flip etc. for recording Nick Robinson making a fool out of himself.

I always carry my camcorder and film everything that might even remotely be of interest.

Authority fiqures...take note we are filming you so be professional and you won't wind up on youtube for millions of people to see you being a fool.

Long live technology....Expose the scumbags but praise the heroes as well!!
edit on 21-10-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Remember that the independent camera man filming Nick Robinson during and after his broadcast was not wearing camouflage he was always clearly visibly filming him.

Just a hissy fit, certainly, but smashing an anti-war placard is just in bad taste. Like I said it was a fruitless venture as there was another one up a few moments later, which he would have seen as he grabbed the first one.

How else can protesters get their message on prime time news? Not much anti-war broadcasts on the BBC, and the message was relevant to the report being broadcast.

The videos are two of sport victory's and the other is Hallowe'en or something...the Hallowe'en reporter pushes the guy away, and that is the only real comparison. Both Nick Robinson, and whoever was the party popper are both technically guilty of assault, since the guy holding the placard says he was injured. BTW excellent picures from a mobile 'phone.
edit on 21-10-2010 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This is very reminiscent of the John Nott incident during the Falklands scenario! He stormed off the set because he couldn't hold his own against the reporter who was questioning him, These people have a serious problem with their egos... They're anal retentive nobodies who, in all likelihood, threw their dolls out of their prams as kids! Get a life! Grow up because the World doesn't revolve around your self-important head... Numpty!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the replies it is always good to have a nice contrast in viewpoints within a topic! Stars for everyone.

Smurfy you raise a good point about the Gaza blockade what I wonder is were the BBC going out of their way to remain completely impartial on that issue IE by staying out of it altogether, or were they scared of some unseen consequences to the alternative?

There are lots of suggestions of the Israel lobby having a bit of influence round the BBC, but that is another topic altogether.

I think we can put Nick Robinson's behaviour down to a momentary lapse in judgement being the culmination of irritation throughout his broadcast. I will be keeping an eye on ole Nicky though, not sure I trust the fellah... We will see.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join