It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Most Overlooked Endangered Species Candidates!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Think of endangered species, and you probably think of Florida panthers or blue whales or California golden condors -- big, charismatic animals that easily move the heart. But endangered species can be small, odd and unappealing, too. These animals are no less special; they're still one-of-a kind works of evolutionary art, sculpted over millions of years.

Some of the animals that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service decided this year to consider for endangered status. Many steps remain in their bureaucratic journey to protection, which can take years, even decades, and may end with a decision that they're not endangered.

They could also suffer the fate of the Gunnison Sage Grouse, which the USFWS said last month that it ought to protect, but couldn't, because it didn't have the resources. The federal government spends just $140 million for all Endangered Species Act-related activities.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ffa0224ea164.jpg[/atsimg]

But a few animals, like the Ozark Hellbender salmander or the Altamaha spinymussel (above), declared endangered earlier this month, will get lucky. Hopefully all these other animals will, too.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2af388b82b5.jpg[/atsimg]

Though non-native predators and human fashion fancies have killed off many other members of its spectacularly diversified family, the Hawaiian Scarlet Honeycreeper still survives on four Hawaiian islands.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac05ff1f1588.jpg[/atsimg]

Once found throughout the eastern United States, the open field-loving Golden-winged warbler actually benefited from deforestation. The return of woodlands threatens its habitat, and the Blue-winged warbler is also crowding it out.

Source (more pics & info): www.wired.com...

Aren't they all just as cute as a button...? I wish we could save them all and others but fact of the matter is we can't. I do appreciate the attempts to do so and to bring the info to light but...

I think it is amaing that they even have the info on these one. The one salamander only known to be in five caves-in Tenn. Interesting. Any in China or other parts of the world?

What would this planet be like if everything survived-nothing ever got totally wiped out. That would make an interesting planet.

I have to admit that I am somewhat on the side of the progressing of the human race. For example, there is a highway that is almost competely finished but, someone said some type of little thing would be gone if they competed the highway... so it stop. about 20 years ago..... even though the endanged little thing has gone on to thrive in the whole area, the Feds still will not let the road to be completed. What up with that?

Yes, I know efforts to regenerate a spiecies have been successful but to what overall benifit for mankind.

Any ATSer can dive into explaining the overall benifits of saving--for example, the things in the first pic?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Hi how sad.

What a beautiful animals. I hope you don't mind, but I will create a link in an older thread of mine to this one.
I'm trying to collect these sort of articles / threads in there. Hopefully so we can laugh at it years from now about how we could have been so wrong.

I've still got hope tho.

My old thread really is an interesting read by the way. IMO

The Shocking Reality of Modern Day Extinction.

S&F

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Do whatever you wish. Im glad you liked it.

About the only one though....... ugh.

I try.

Going to look at yours-now.

new topics

join