It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug czar: Calif pot law could spark court action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

US drug czar says feds may ask court to intervene if California voters legalize marijuana

Federal officials haven't ruled out taking legal action if California voters approve a ballot initiative that would legalize recreational medical use in the state, President Barack Obama's drug czar said Wednesday.

In a phone interview with The Associated Press, Director of National Drug Control Policy Gil Kerlikowske said Justice Department officials are "looking at all their options" for responding to the measure, which would conflict with federal laws classifying marijuana as an illegal drug.

Among them, he said, is following the recommendation nine of the nation's former Drug Enforcement Agency chiefs made last month in a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder: having Obama sue to overturn Proposition 19 as an affront to federal authority.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.rawstory.com...

For this thread, I'd like to stay away from the pros and cons of the "war on drugs" or marijuana itself, as we are all already steadfast in our opinions. Instead, we should focus on the federal government intruding on states' rights.

The federal government should not be able to tell California what to do, as there is this amendment in the Bill of Rights that we know as the 10th Amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

It should be none of the federal government's business which laws the State of California wants to either adopt or strike. The fish rots from the head and so a strong central power is easily corruptable and this is why I believe that the 10th Amendment was included. It should be up to the states, not the federal government, so long as each state abides by the Constitution.

The most dangerous thing that we have done, IMO, is that we have allowed the federal government to become all powerful over the states, as the federal government has been corrupted and so we are rotting because of it. If California wants to adopt or strike a law that doesn't break the federal Constitution, then it should be of no concern to the federal government.

Again, this isn't a debate about whether marijuana should be legal, no, it is the much more important and fundamental debate over states' rights and an over-reaching federal government. This debate is much larger than whether marijuana should become legal and the implications are far more important. This proposed marijuana law is just the catalyst being used for the tug of war between states' rights and the federal government.

Of course there are influences in this country (and abroad) that will do everything in their power to give the federal government more power, as it is much easier to corrupt a central government, than it is to corrupt a plethora of governments on a much more local scale. The way to winning back our way of life, freedom and country as a whole, is to pry power away from the federal government and put it back where it belongs, with the states, thus the people. That is the first step we need to take and it is one of the most important, IMO.

--airspoon
edit on 20-10-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I still don't think prop. 19 will get passed because there will be huge campaign against it right before elections, kind of like prop. 8. I hope it does pass because there is no reason cannabis should be illegal, much less a schedule 1 drug.

If there is court action with the Federal government overriding the Constitution and the will of the California voters I think it will be a mess. It will send the message to the entire country that the democratic process means nothing to the federal government and people all over the country will take note.

Maybe this country needs this to happen because this will stir the pot, people will wake up to the out of control federal government and possibly ignite a revolution.

edit on 20-10-2010 by jrod because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2010 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The reason that the Federal Government is all hot and bothered over pot, and drugs in general, is that they are deep into the distribution game, and use their profits for operations of off the book programs. Legalizing pot opens up a Pandora's box of other states doing the same, thus putting a huge dent in their "black" budgets.

The morality of drugs, and most especially pot, is PR/propaganda that has been perpetrated against us for decades, and is all an attempt to keep their cash cow firmly in the hands of our criminal government.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Another reason the feds are opposed to legalization is that they currently pay other countries to not grow and export pot. All they have to do is stop paying, but many get a piece of the action. Those profiteers are the ones we must battle for freedom. I wonder how alcohol ever got legalized?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by erumisato

I agree. I believe that the government or factions inside the government (such as the CIA) are heavily incolved in the narcotics market (both legal and illegal) and their profits depend on the substance being illegal. Not only that, but it also allows the government to intrude on our personal lives in the name of the war on drugs and even incarcerate a lot of our citizens, which not only helps to control the people, but it is a boon to the prison industry as well.

Having said that, the implications of this possible case, are far greater than the issue of marijuana legalization or even the drug distribution network, as it will set a precedent for federal control that then will invade on our rights to arm ourselves (2nd Amendment), climate gate and every other issue that states have been able so far to hold out against the government.

This possible case is a clear assault on the Constitution, as if it isn't under assault enough and with the courts in the government's back pocket, it sure doesn't look good. Again, this is going to open the way for the federal government to crack down and subvert our 2nd Amendment protections and other issues in an effort to control us.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
to everybody who still thinks its not going to pass...

we have an 11 point spread @ less than a month away...

get real, its going to pass.

if the feds fight this, its not going to be like prop 8... a lot of young people are coming out for this one that have never voted before and they arent going to be taking "no" for an answer.

this is going to light a huge fire under a sleeping giant, the states rights giant.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
the greatest trick the federal government ever pulled is convincing the states that it has power over them, ...err wait I think I got that saying wrong its "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

can't believe I got those two mixed up

seriously though states hold all the power over the federal government, problem is getting anyone to use it

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If passed, the Feds will probably argue the Interstate Commerce Clause and get it ruled unconstitutional. The courts have allowed government broad powers (too broad imo) with this interstate commerce law and I don't see them changing their tune any time soon.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
We are talking about a plant. God's plant. Don't we have some scripture....

The Feds have no authority, hell no legitimacy. They can kiss my buds.

I have some of Gods plants growing in my garden, and I am not going to look through 80,000 federal laws to see if some corrupt bureaucrat on the take is cool with it. So, GO California, vote it in and make it stick.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
If only an Indian tribe would take a stand. If they can get gambling past the feds they should be able to get a harmless plant legalized.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I highly doubt that the Native American tribes would move to legalize marijuana, as they have enough problems with alcohol, generally speaking. However, fundamentally, it would be the same argument. How long and strong of an arm does or better yet, should the federal government be endowed with? It's basically the same argument, different method.

This case actually goes far beyond the issue of marijuana legalization, as its implications are far greater. Should the federal government be able to dictate the states beyond what the Constitution (and in contradiction of it) stipulates? If the federal government wins this battle, then forget marijuana as that will be the least of your worries. They will then come for your guns, using this case as a legal precedent to dictate federal laws to the states. The same thing with health care and other issues that the states either are holding out against or threatening to do so.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
No one else has so I will..

What would Ron Paul say about this?

Edit to ad, dam good thread..
edit on 24-10-2010 by 22-250 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join