It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rejuvenating power of blood not fiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Article 1

The image of notorious Countess Elizabeth Bathory, who was said to take baths filled with the blood of virgins to regain her youth, may have some scientific basis.

The blood of young mice managed to reverse some aspects of aging when pumped into old mice’s veins.

The findings by a team at Harvard University showed that some unknown factor in young blood can make old bone marrow act as if it were younger. In the experiment, the researchers surgically connected the circulatory systems of two mice, so that the older animal was constantly exposed to the blood from the younger one.

Article 2

The results suggest that it might one day be possible to boost the practical lifespan of stem cells, and thereby increase the body's resistance to disease and age-related degeneration.

After several weeks of sharing their blood systems with young mice, the hematopoietic stem cells of the older mice changed markedly.

Exposure to a younger animal's blood somehow pushed the older animal's hematopoietic stem cells back to a more youthful state, in which they were fewer in number but recovered nearly all of their blood cell-generating capacity.

I searched around on here and it dosent look like anyone has made a thread on this yet.

These articles are kind of old ; January of this year. This is still pretty interesting to me. Hopefully some progress has been made in this research since January.

Maybe all of those old fairy tales about vampires bathing in blood and all that made them younger.....maybe that has some meaning? (Im not telling anyone to turn into a vampire)

From what I understand from the articles, an old mouse bloodstream and a young ones were connected together, and helped the older ones stem cells/bone marrow grow younger. Im not sure how well this would work with humans though. The articles dont really say if anything happend to the younger mouse.

Edit - Heres a few more articles to look at.

Article 1 - Parts of blood used in facial treatment.

Article 2

When human umbilical cord blood cells (UCBC) were injected into aged laboratory animals, researchers at the University of South Florida (USF) found improvements in the microenvironment of the hippocampus region of the animals' brains and a subsequent rejuvenation of neural stem/progenitor cells.

edit on 19-10-2010 by buni11687 because: more links

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Maybe all of those old fairy tales about vampires bathing in blood and all that made them younger.....maybe that has some meaning? (Im not telling anyone to turn into a vampire)

Vampires are immortal aren't they?

Vampires are mythological or folkloric beings who subsist by feeding on the life essence (generally in the form of blood) of living creatures, regardless of whether they are undead or a living person.

"belief in vampires and bloodsucking demons is as old as man himself", and may go back to "prehistoric times"

... in ancient times, the term vampire did not exist; blood drinking and similar activities were attributed to demons or spirits who would eat flesh and drink blood; even the Devil was considered synonymous with the vampire.

Almost every nation has associated blood drinking with some kind of revenant or demon, or in some cases a deity. In India, for example, tales of vetālas, ghoul-like beings that inhabit corpses

en.wikipedia.org...

Jesus knew about vampires as well

John 6:53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

John 6:54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

www.biblegateway.com... myblood&version1=31&searchtype=all&limit=none&wholewordsonly=no

Vampires sleep for long periods of time in coffins and they like the dark.

There are also many myths about a King sleeping in a mountain who will return one day in a time of great peril. Ref: en.wikipedia.org...

Matthew 27:58 Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus' body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. 59Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.

Another interesting thing I came across

Negative Blood Type (RH Factor) and Alien History
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 19-10-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Important point...... I think there is a massive difference between a blood transfusion and drinking or bathing in blood.

A blood transfusion actually makes sense. Because if the growth hormone levels were up in the young mouse, then myogenesis ( the creation of brand new cells ) can be performed. Instead of just trying to repair the old cells the old mouse could effectively become younger.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Sounds like another good reason for people to give blood if it really can extend people's lives... Then again people who can should already be giving blood.

On a lighter side-note, what's with the kooky vampire stuff in the first reply? And then bringing up aliens? Is it Halloween yet

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

On a lighter side-note, what's with the kooky vampire stuff in the first reply? And then bringing up aliens?

Why do you think there is no merit in the possibility that Jesus was/is a sleeping vampire alien king?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
All this talk of blood is giving me the creeps. Seriously, blood is meant to STAY in your arteries & veins, not go into some person's bathtub.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

John 6:54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Why are you dead and underground waiting to be risen if after you eat his flesh and drink his blood you have obtained eternal life? lol

I know "people" who drink blood, and you actually get a pretty serious buzz off of it if it's fresh enough...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I decided to do a quick search on the web about rejuvenating possibilities of blood and found this.

Article

Plasma has been used in sports medicine for decades; it is also known to help regenerate receding gums. Surprisingly, modern research and experimentation have shown that some of the components in blood may have important skin-beautifying properties as well. Blood injections and facials are thus becoming popular to reduce the appearance and incidence of wrinkles, scars, and blemishes.

In a therapy known as S3, a patient’s blood is drawn and separated into platelets, serum, and hemoglobin. Other substances, such as amino acids, are added to the clear serum; it is then injected back into the body. S3 is supposed to produce fresh, radiant skin by stimulating cell proliferation. It nicely fills depressed scars, including pits left by cystic acne; and plumps up furrows and creases.

The S3 technique involves about five or six different injections all over the face, which takes ten minutes. The skin is then exposed to red and blue light treatments that heal acne and may correct facial wrinkling. For best results, the process is repeated every 4-6 months. S3 costs $1000 per session, and is available in London.

However, some researchers are concerned by the practice of injecting platelets, which contain human growth factors. Growth factors might increase or cause the rapid spread of abnormal cells, possibly triggering or exacerbating tumor growth.

The article is from May of this year.

From what I understand, parts of the patients blood is used in the treatment process, instead of just straight blood. This isnt the same as the OP, but it does show some interesting things that blood can do outside of the body.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
When you die, we replace all your blood with either formaldehyde or glutaraldehyde and a mixture of humectants and dye.

Anyone drinking your blood when you get to the afterlife is just getting a headache and then probably cancer.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Why are you dead and underground waiting to be risen if after you eat his flesh and drink his blood you have obtained eternal life? lol

No I am alive.

According to legend vampires drink the blood of both the living and the undead.

The undead would be thier own kind.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Heres another article. This one is a bit disturbing though. In this one, human umbilical cord blood cells (UCBC) were injected into aged laboratory animals. My personal views are kind of disturbed by injecting animals with our own blood....

I cant find the date for this article.

Link

When human umbilical cord blood cells (UCBC) were injected into aged laboratory animals, researchers at the University of South Florida (USF) found improvements in the microenvironment of the hippocampus region of the animals' brains and a subsequent rejuvenation of neural stem/progenitor cells.

"Brain cell neurogenesis decreases dramatically with increasing age, mostly because of a growing impoverishment in the brain's microenvironment," said co-author Alison Willing, PhD, of the USF Center of Excellence for Aging and Brain Repair. "The increase in neurogenesis we saw after injecting UCBCs seemed to be due to a decrease in inflammation."

According to lead author Carmelina Gemma, Ph.D., of the James A. Haley Veterans Administration Medical Center (VA) and USF, the decrease in neurogenesis that accompanies aging is a result of the decrease in proliferation of stem cells, not the loss of cells.

"We think that UCBCs may have a similar potential to reduce inflammation and to restore some of the lost capacity of stem/progenitor cells to proliferate and differentiate into neurons," said Dr. Bickford.
The study found that the number of proliferative cells increased within 24 hours following the UCBC injections into the aged laboratory rats and that the increased cell proliferation continued for at least 15 days following a single treatment

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Just in time for the Baby Boomers.

Watch out, kids. Grandma and grandpa are after your blood.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

According to legend vampires drink the blood of both the living and the undead.

The undead would be thier own kind.

If one is to follow the Bram Stoker-myth, or one of the more "modern" folkloric descriptions of a Vampire, that is.

For the "Undead" type of Vampire is not the oldest definition of a Vampiric being, but rather among the later, aswell as several, of the interpretations.
In the very oldest texts, the Sanskrit-texts, a Vampiric entity was either a Life-sucking Spirit, OR a Humanoid flesh and blood-being, fully alive and able to move around during the day, but that had a "thing" for blood or Human flesh and could live for many thousands of years, although not being literally Immortal.

The walking corpse that suck blood and sleep in coffins and lack reflections in the mirror, is later add-ons, on several cass based on missinterpretations, as often tend to be the case with various sources of Myth and Legend that passes from teller to teller.

Roughe or homeless Vampires may, however, have lived in crypts and also slept in them during the day, hence giving rise to the idea that Vampires need to sleep in coffins.
edit on 19-10-2010 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2010 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild

In the very oldest texts, the Sanskrit-texts, a Vampiric entity was either a Life-sucking Spirit, OR a Humanoid flesh and blood-being, fully alive and able to move around during the day, but that had a "thing" for blood or Human flesh and could live for many thousands of years, although not being literally Immortal.

Vampire in Hindu Myth

According to Hindu mythology, the Rakshasa were considered to be demonic in appearance and their sole intention was to drink blood and eat the flesh of humans.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ae1e882400a.jpg[/atsimg]

www.vampiretruth.com...

Vampire in the garden of eden

The origins of the vampire as a mythological figure aren't known for certain, however, the story of Lilith is frequently regarded as being of the greatest significance since it places the vampire's creation at the same time as humankind's creation by God in the garden of Eden.

Lilith (Hebrew: לילית‎) is a character in Jewish mythology, found earliest in the Babylonian Talmud, which is generally thought to be related to a class of female demons Līlīṯu in Mesopotamian texts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c92f8f58d18a.jpg[/atsimg]

www.lunch.com...

top topics

join