It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Take your Own Space Photos - CHEAP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Edge of Space Balloon Photography

Items you need

1 HD Movie camera or a small point and shoot
1 Big Balloon
1 parachute
Some Helium

Documentary of an amateur weather balloon being launched to the edge of space to take photos using a Canon SD800is compact point-and-shoot camera.

Helium Balloon amazing space photos - March 2010

MIT Students Photograph Space With A Balloon

edit on 13-10-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

imagine if every body did this we
would have photo proof of ets in no time
cool concept but how do you get the photos back?

xp

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
How do you know where it lands?
You may need a tracking device also.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The only problem is -- if the balloon prematurely pops or the parachute doesn't deploy, not only don't you have space photos but you're out an expensive camera too. Not too many people are willing to risk that. But for those that are I think it's an awesome thing to do! Yay spacepiccies!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I was wondering about that too

The last video says they put GPS device in the package. But you would think a strong jet stream could take it to Russia or something

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
That is great! I remember seeing something like this a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken. The pictures are great, and if were ceo of the company of whatever camera they're using, canon I thin, I'd be all over those guys for advertising. I would have them star in a commercial or something. Either way, a task such as this would become a marketing strategy dream come true.

As for comparing NASA's budget to the few hundred these guys spent. . .doesn't float. I know NASA is overinflated in spending and everything, but if they're mission were to only gather pictures in such a way that you have little or no control over just where the camera's pointed, then NASA would be doing it this way.

When these guys figure out how to put satellites up there this way, THEN let me know, and I will try it.

Great post!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This is very cool. I like how the last guy is modifying his next camera to tilt.
I can see the UFO hunters sending up quad cams.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
The last video says they put GPS device in the package. But you would think a strong jet stream could take it to Russia or something
Even if it lands inside area 51 you'll never see your camera again.

More likely it would land on a farm or a ranch but if it's surrounded by barbed wire, I hear some farmers have the same policy as area 51, meaning trespassers will be shot, the farmers just don't bother putting up the signs.

At least Bob Lazar put up a sign:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0708a0c57e35.jpg[/atsimg]

It's cool though.
edit on 14-10-2010 by Arbitrageur because: added photo

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Very cool

Thanks For posting.
I would like to try that at night.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
I was wondering about that too

The University of Wyoming has a a nice tool that gives you a trajectory forecast: weather.uwyo.edu...

In general, a balloon will encounter winds in opposing directions at various altitudes, so it won't get carried too far away.

Remember to alert the FAA to your launches. Specific requirements are in Regulation 101.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
At least Bob Lazar put up a sign:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0708a0c57e35.jpg[/atsimg]

OOOOOOOOOO I WANTZ ONE!!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Thanks for that very useful information

That explains how they seem to have no problem retrieving the cameras

Yeah the FAA... very good point

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
That is insanely awesome! Now for my thoughts... Would you be able to beam the photos back somehow? How much further until zero gravity? I would love to see this vid from an HD Flip or something comparable. Definitely worth the few hundred dollars, not many people have photos like that! Excellent post

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The one I saw last week had an iPhone in it. When the phone came back down in Cell tower reach, it broadcasted it's GPS location. I am pondering this idea but with a BlackBerry for GPS tracking via Google Latitude.

Thanks for sharing Zorgon. I hope we can get more people interested in this!

LSWONE.

top topics

join