It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's $30m Lunar X Prize drives Lunar Numbat mission to put Australian flag on Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Well I didnt think Id ever be reading this headline, but here it is, an Australian flag on the moon, maybe.

www.news.com.au...

I know we wont be the first, but its good to see we are finally getting into the game.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Interesting..but I got news for you...It WOULD be the FIRST landing on the moon..

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The phone app that lets people have a go at exploring the moon sounds great. I never knew Australia had no space agency. I think they'll have some stiff competition with that kind of prize on offer, but even if they can get one up there it would be a great leap.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
I never knew Australia had no space agency. I think they'll have some stiff competition with that kind of prize on offer, but even if they can get one up there it would be a great leap.

It is surprising, but then we only have a small population hence not an economy that could support a real space program. One of the most experienced Shuttle astronauts is an Aussy, Andy Thomas, but he retired a few years ago so he's probably lost a few places.

We have numerous satelites up there, but I think the majority are private, media etc.

We do however play a very important role in the US space program. We are a vital communications link & saved the day for the 1st moon landing. If it wasnt for a small town called Parkes, nobody would have seen it.

There is a good Aussy movie about it called "The Dish". Its Aussy humour so not everyone will get it.

Theres something about our location that suits space exploration, I know there was talk of the US building launch pads here but I think NASA has enough money troubles at home to worry about that.

new topics

top topics

join