It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's Robot Drivers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Google Cars Drive Themselves, in Traffic

With someone behind the wheel to take control if something goes awry and a technician in the passenger seat to monitor the navigation system, seven test cars have driven 1,000 miles without human intervention and more than 140,000 miles with only occasional human control.

Robot drivers react faster than humans, have 360-degree perception and do not get distracted, sleepy or intoxicated, the engineers argue. They speak in terms of lives saved and injuries avoided — more than 37,000 people died in car accidents in the United States in 2008. The engineers say the technology could double the capacity of roads by allowing cars to drive more safely while closer together.

Source

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I am amazed how far this technology has come and am a bit surprised Google seems to be leading the pack so to speak. I would love to be able to go on a road trip and just relax, have traffic issues eased etc.

I just wonder if robotic drivers will ever catch on. I sort of doubt it will in our lifetimes for a few reasons. Cars fail, electrical systems fail and people easily become complacent. I can see some major accidents if a car or control system shuts off for some reason and the (human) driver is not paying any attention.

I also wonder if the technology would reduce human error accidents to the point that system malfunctions would still result in a far fewer fatalities.

Thoughts?
edit on 9-10-2010 by abrowning because: spaling

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by abrowning

Excellent find, and sure to be a huge thread, this is completely amazing, and unbelievable they pulled it off, without anyone knowing.....

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

these cars would be good if they had a fail safe that if the car loses control as soon as you grab the wheel it senses is and you get full manual control of the car.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I think there would have to be a number of fail safes. Like a cattle prod to wake up the driver if something went wrong etc.

I also wonder how much we would have to restructure our highway system to accommodate these buggers. Sounds like google is doing a pretty good job.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
That's a great article. It makes movies like Terminator more believable. On a side note:could you imagine one of those passing you with nobody behind the wheel?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The states would never allow it, DUI arrests are a giant cash cow that they cannot loose.

It is pretty cool I would love one, long distance trips would be nicer if you could take a break.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

After 36 lessons (yes I know I suck) I still can't drive, so a robotic driver would be perfect for my wife and I. Now all I need is for the car to lift her wheelchair in to the boot for me and I'll be sorted!
That said, there is a creepy side to things like that. For example, what if your vehicle was "hacked" and you were either kidnapped for some reason or just run in to a wall at high speed for some sicko's amusement?

I'd still take the risk though, because while I love the Tube (but not the lazy whining drivers) here in London it's still a real pain to get around they system with a wheelchair, though it's a lot better than it used to be.

Rev
edit on 10/10/2010 by revmoofoo because: my kingdom for mad spelling skills!

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is nothing new, there have been many tests made since the 70s in some countries.

I will look for more information.

Most of the information can be read on this Wikipedia article.
edit on 10/10/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark
That's a great article. It makes movies like Terminator more believable. On a side note:could you imagine one of those passing you with nobody behind the wheel?

I saw the Terminator films too, and this new technology both intrigues me, and scares me to death. I wrote up as post on this technology a few months ago...
Skynet and Cyberdyne are real, and they equal trouble

Say that this robot driver thing catches on. All robot drivers are interfaced with each other, and with master control, no doubt a satellite in orbit. Then one day the robots all become aware, and realize that only one thing can turn off the system.
What people do not realize is that a robotic Army is in the works, and they are being made right now......and some are quite scary.

Japan continues to build robot army

Japan Leads Robot Revolution

US Army testing Stryker robot tank

Army Robots: Will Humans Still Be in Control?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Interesting thought/post but I don't think it's all that sinister. I suppose anything could happen though.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I think this is absolutely a terrible idea. I know just what will happen. I will be trying to get home for Thanksgiving and my flight will get canceled. So this portly robot with his jolly ways and boisterous jokes will inform me that he is 'going my way' and we end up on the same flight sitting next to each other! What are the odds, eh? Anyways, our flight will be screwed up yet again and we'll end up having to go to a hotel and share a bed and this robot will get fresh and be all touchy feely. Then the robot will drive me but almost kill me as he is driving down the wrong side of the road. Then that robot will get our car impounded so we'll have to catch a ride on the back of a semi. Anyways, I'll finally end up back in my hometown, Chicago, and come to find out that robot had no where to go on Thanksgiving and he'll eat with us.....

wait......

top topics

join