It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we all NEED to be more skeptical.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am just writing this short piece in hope that whoever reads it can take something from it and apply it to the things we come across in today's world and on here, the beloved ATS board, the home of believers and non believers all with one similarity. The quest for knowledge and the quest for truth.

Firstly, please can we all be grown up here and not jump to the conclusion that I am attacking anyone for their beliefs on any subject, in anyway.

I am though a skeptical fellow and rightly so. I have never personally seen a UFO that could not be attributed to something else, I have never felt the presence of God in my life or had the need to pray for things. I have never encountered a ghost or phantom and never found myself caught between this world and the next.

I want to talk about belief. I want to express how I look at it and why I think more people could benefit from looking at it this way. By no means think of me trying to change or convert you as that is not my intent.

I tend to look at things in two ways. Is the truth of the matter relative and is it objective? I firmly believe and always have done that it is the "believer" that has to prove to me that such and such exists. UFO or GOD the believer has the responsibility of showing me that what they believe in is indeed real. They are the ones who wish me to believe in what they are saying. I as the non believer do not carry the responsibility of proving it does not exist as I can not prove a negative. If you tell me that there is two suns in our solar system and you want me to believe you, then you must show me the proof and evidence of these convictions. I can no longer except the old argument "well, I truely believe it, i believe it with all my heart and mind that its true".

Put it this way. If a member of your family, say your brother or sister, mum or dad, called you up tonight and said "Son, you have cancer of the lungs and eyes, you are going to die in 5 days". You would be shocked but after, you would say "how do you know?" Whatever story they come up with, any normal person would want to see evidence of this profound piece of information that could impact their life so much. I do not think that any normal, rational person will blindly take the information from the source at face value without some proof. Some X-RAYS or some Doctors evaluation to confirm it would be the minimum you expect. You would seek this out. If your Mum, dad, sister or brothers said they have no proof but they truly believe it, would you too believe them and seek no further confirmation from an independent source?

As long as you are completely willing and open to believe you have cancer when you are shown unequivocal evidence that you have it, as opposed to being just told you have it, then it is not narrow-minded or ignorant not believe in it, until you are shown this unequivocal evidence. It has to work both ways. I need the proof upfront and in having it I am open to believing, whereas if you do not have the proof I am unlikely to believe.

It is healthy and wise to be skeptical about all things until proven otherwise.

All I am asking is show me Real Life evidence and I will show you some Real Life belief and back you to the hilt.

This is how I am viewing the subject matter here on ATS. The threads where people tell you proudly they believe in Religion, UFO's or that they are Mediums that contact the dead. I need the Real Life proof and do forgive me if I do not take you at your word.

We are entering times of uncertainty and with things slowly revealing themselves to the world at large we have to be careful not to jump both footed into something that ticks all the boxes of our already steadfast beliefs and personal feelings.

We must also be careful of the Scientist. Yes science has many answers but it also does not always ask the right questions. Science can be very misleading because it believes that its methods are often the only way. The EU is about to ban Herbal medicine or at least restrict its movements and usage.

Why? It is because scientists are individuals and groups of people who can be motivated for by funds, donations
profits and corruption. They often display tunnel-vision that clearly leaves them blinkered. Does their Lab medicine mean that a herbal remedy at home has no place? Does it mean that it works better? I do not think so.

So science itself has its flaws and often these flaws are swept under the carpet for fear of embarrassment, loss of funding, demotion or worse. Will a scientist never be proven wrong? His beliefs in his science are limited to what he knows. What about what he does not know. Could that ever have an effect on his current theories and practices?

We can not take things anymore without asking questions. ATS has shown that questions can and should be encouraged, however the answer must be proven in the Real World and we can no longer except anything without that proof.

I understand that how we are raised, can have a deep impact on what we believe and why we believe. The influences of parents, siblings and communities all play a part in what we believe. This takes monumental strength and reasoning to lay that to one side and begin fresh. Bring no bias to the table and only rely on facts and evidence that can not be refuted.

I asked a Christian man once why he believed in the bible? What makes the bible so special. He said. Jesus died for us, Jesus loves us and the bible tells us this.

I thought for a moment and said to him. "There is only one way you will ever know if the bible is true and only one way you will know if the bibles stories are true. You must prove that Jesus really did raise himself from the dead. You must prove it to yourself. If that one thing never happened then the entire bible is false. We can all comfortably say that a man called Jesus did exist and was one of many people at that time to preach and teach crowds of people. Bit if he never raised himself from the dead then it all means nothing. The entire bible revolves around this ONE fact, in my opinion".

He said "I can not prove it to you"

I said "Then, I can not believe it happened, we must chose do disagree"

I hope people on here who have taken the time to read this see the point i am making and that I am not trying to be antagonistic or condescending but as a new member to ATS I am concerned at the level of proof people are willing to except and then believe. If it sound like something you would believe then it makes it all the more important to ask questions and gain proof. You need to satisfy yourself that this is without doubt the right thing, the real deal. Thanks for reading.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

This thread is redundant - spot on, but redundant...you didn't really being anything new to the table.

Appreciate that you care though...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I like where you are coming from my friend. Keep that perspective and you will do fine. Question everything and weigh it with your heart. If it feels true, or you have facts to back it up, run with it. Sound reason and logic is what I got out of your post. If it is redundant, so what, it still needs to be said. Personally, I am a follower of Christ's teachings. I do not believe he was God, nor due I believe the resurrection story, but his teachings, I have found to be spot on and logically true. Thus, I am not a Christian, but I am a follower of Christ.

Not that it matters, find your own truth and stick with it.

I hope to see you around the forum.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

The Utmost thanks for your post.

Yes, what knowledge or lessons something contains may be more relevant and precise than where it came from.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
critical thought.

it needs to be taught to our kids at a VERY young age.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm skeptical all right -- of anything the government and corporate media says.

top topics

join