It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you find that you come to ATS less after this last "upgrade"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

and the messages we get when someone replies directly to one of our posts

Where is this ET? Where to look for this message. Had a few replies but never noticed it.

I know I had to change my avatar background red to camouflage 2 unsightly "warn" signs...Like a big red A across my chest or like being left dangling from a noose in the market square...rather archaic and a little over the top!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by born2BWild
The older format was much easier to navigate by far. It was simple and well organized. I liked the idea of having all the hot topics beside each thread with easy access. Also the quick access to all new threads was very attractive. In short, out with the new and in with the old!

edit on 3-10-2010 by born2BWild because: (no reason given)

Yes,

I have a request, does anybody have a screenshot of the old "recent post" page that they could upload on ATS media and link?

Or, is the old layout a template that could be purchased for use? Anyone know?

I would love to purchase that software for a forum board of my own based on a theme of solutions for America.

edit on 3-10-2010 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I love ATS and the new upgrade, it looks all shiny/polished and new. If it were a person "I'd want to go there".
Sometimes I log in just to bask in its dulcet hue and have it gently resting on my face. Other times just to have it on in my room is enough..

I can hear you asking, "Who knew green/blue/grey and green would go so well together?"...Well wonder no more my friend because I'll tell you who knew, the good people at ATS....that's who knew...

So in summary I can't quite get enough of ATS and its new look, I enjoy it in so many differing ways. ATS has always been like a really hot girl, so for me the upgrade is like putting new "cans" on an already really hot girl....

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by strangleholder1

Well, I miss the easy to read columns myself. And the right side now has all the "conspiracy chick" garbage instead of the recent / new / top scroll I always liked. Preference I guess but I find it much harder to read and find those eye catching topics... It just bleeds together.

..edit... why is my text bolded? I didn't bold it.

edit on 3-10-2010 by infolurker because: Why is my text bolded? I didn't bold it

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Changes happens, so I guess we just need to deal with it. I've been here more often since "the change" only because of correcting PC problems which have nothing to do with this site.

I hope "the change" is not the cause of the increase in usless threads that used to occur in the past during the summer month but are showing up weekly and almost daily of late.

NOTE TO MODS: many online gaming sites claim to be "free" but will charge one for ways to make the games that much more injoyable/playable. Please don't follow this road with silly fees for members to access this or that as I will pack up in leave at that time.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

i have my bookmark set as the real time update page, cant stand the front page . IMO they F****ed up the site big time.

just my opinion and i do appreciate the hard work of the owners of ATS inc

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

and the messages we get when someone replies directly to one of our posts

Where is this ET? Where to look for this message. Had a few replies but never noticed it.

Click on the "Tools+" button and go to your "messages" (private messages) on the black sub-tool bar towards the left side. Then you can reference hotlinks to members posts who are responding directly to you in any thread on ATS under the "replies" inbetween the inbox and outbox option lists
I like this new feature.

hope this helps,
ET

edit on 3-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: take out some stuff

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by strangleholder1
I love ATS and the new upgrade, it looks all shiny/polished and new. If it were a person "I'd want to go there".
Sometimes I log in just to bask in its dulcet hue and have it gently resting on my face. Other times just to have it on in my room is enough..

I can hear you asking, "Who knew green/blue/grey and green would go so well together?"...Well wonder no more my friend because I'll tell you who knew, the good people at ATS....that's who knew...

So in summary I can't quite get enough of ATS and its new look, I enjoy it in so many differing ways. ATS has always been like a really hot girl, so for me the upgrade is like putting new "cans" on an already really hot girl....

You sound like the one who made the new interface!
But, hey, if you really think that the new look is like "putting new "cans" on an already hot girl", I'm glad you're getting that effect from the ATS interface.
Cheers!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I prefer the new layout and everything after lurking in the shadows for a while! I suppose it is just a matter of opinion and personal preference!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
As stated elsewhere, yes I do come here less since the aesthetic changes/upgrade transformation, not particularly because I dislike the layout in a "use" sense, it will take a bit of getting used to, but I'm sure that will be fine.

What does get me though is the cheesy graphics that go with it, as I'm typing this I have the Conspiracy Chicks vacantly looking at me, photoshopped-as-hell - do those girls get blemishes? - the name is down-market, they look like something from (very) lowbrow UK tv such as Ghost Hunters, it's just embarrassing. I think the actual interface is fine now - with the changes - but the actual look ATS has gone for is really tabloid, top right of my screen I see "PROTEST THE POPE!" - wow caps-lock guys!!! Why not go the whole hog and get the conspiracy chicks in bikinis and they could do a Hot ATS man and woman of the month.

Perhaps the uber-lords of ATS wanted that with the hordes of new contributors we're surely getting through the farcebook debacle. I've pretty much lost faith in the ownership of ATS, whilst I appreciate this site does take many people a lot of work and accordingly needs to be paid for, I really think that the $$$ are being chased.

Do the site owners have time to hold down In Real Life jobs? I doubt it, so if this is their soul (sic) means of income - why the hell shouldn't they be able to buy as many d'oh-nuts as they want... that really is fine, it just now seems that ATS is headed more in the direction of an exercise in marketing than actual promotion of intellectual debate and research - example "PROTEST THE POPE!". Embarrassing.

As for the heavy push on comics, yeah - I won't knock the quality of the work, again though it's the promotion of it that's so glib... if we read the ATS page left to right, as we do, it's the first thing we see - so ATS now gives priority to comic strips over debate or research, christ I can go to 4Chan if I want cartoons; sadly it also seems to be a better place for debate these days too.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/55e0099e89c6.jpg[/atsimg]

Hey, just my opinion I know there'll be a slew of fanboys that will pick me to pieces - just remember:
a) I'm up for debating these points
b) I thought debate was supposed to be at the heart of ATS

c) If I don't like it get out? Well, just expressing my opinion on the OP, if you don't like the views in this thread - don't read them.
edit on 5/10/1010 by jokei because: Added some stuff.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure how ATS was before the upgrade, but I'm sure it was a lot easier to navigate and post, and just generally is easier to use, but using this now just confuses me, really hard.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

ATS is headed more in the direction of an exercise in marketing
than actual promotion of intellectual debate and research

My impression is that they're trying to make it more mainstream to appear to a wider audience. But I don't think that's compatible with the initial premise of the site. This is a conspiracy website, not a social networking site. Trying to make it more mainstream is like putting training wheels on a motorcycle to make it safer. People who drive motorcycles don't drive them because they want to feel safe, and people who want to feel safe aren't going to drive motorcycles just because they have training wheels.

I think ATS users want James Bond, not Britney Spears. We're here for secrets, and aliens, not comics or girls in videos, and we'd rather visit ATS from a dark, grungy basement than get ATS tweets on our cellphone. ATS needs invisible ink and decoder rings. Not facebook.

Once the transformation is complete, and ATS is a mainstream social networking site with flash games and matchmaking services...why would anyone choose to come here instead of a site that was a social networking site in the first place?

Personally, I suspect the admins are either chasing short terms dollars at the expense of long term site integrity, or they're dolling it up to make it more attractive to buyers so they can cash out and move to the Bahamas.

Anyway, the site probably still has a few good years left to it. Websites and games have lifespans just like people. ATS may be on a downward spiral, but it will be a changing user demographic that kills it, not graphical redesigns.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My main question...

how is it any less easy to navigate then any other version of this site.

where are these ads for conspiracy chicks people keep complaining about. There certainly isn't one on my page right now.

all you complainers confuse me. What I see with this update is making it look fancier. Nothing else really changed...other then the right side thing...but it was just condensed.

Oh well..i like it. I come here just as much.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

I agree: the site isn't any harder to navigate than it used to be. Thus far, my only quibble is with the changing of the maximum avatar size, and I'm sure I'll get used to that. I honestly don't see what all the complaints are about.

Well...I do miss BTS being separate from ATS, but I'm getting used to that as well.

-TheAssoc.
edit on 6-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: Grammar.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Sir, I could not agree with you more. The danger I think is that ATS has become a full time occupation for some of those that run it and people have to buy food, pay the rent etc... I do myself, but there are other things I want and some of them aren't covered by my wage, so I do overtime to get them. I guess if the site owners want to go on a nice holiday this year or whatever they want to do then they need to generate more revenue from here to get it. Sadly in this day and age that will almost always translate to populism and pandering to the sheeple - first time I've ever used the word sheeple, so let's have it twice.

reply to post by iamsupermanv2

reply to post by TheAssociate

I notice the Conspiracy Chicks (facepalm at the name) have disappeared from the top right. My gripe isn't with the redesign per-se, it's still pretty easy to navigate and something that will get learnt by me, so no harm no foul.

My gripe is that there seems to be an influx of really poor posts and the tabloidisation (new word
) of ATS.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

reply to post by jokei

reply to post by jokei

That was one of the most inane rantings offering little constructivity and showing no positive recalcitrant Magniloquence what-so-ever.

Originally posted by jokei
Hey, just my opinion I know there'll be a slew of fanboys that will pick me to pieces - just remember:
a) I'm up for debating these points
b) I thought debate was supposed to be at the heart of ATS

[size=34]I ACCEPT!

I accept your offer for a structured debate. There is currently a debate tournament pending in which I am participating, which will be beginning in the near future. However, when this debate tournament is completed, or we have enough judges available, I would like to publicly and formally accept your challenge to debate

So, How many websites have you owned, personally jokei?

Looking forward to it,
ET

edit on 7-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: Are you reading these words jokei? Good, because I put them here just for you. Thank you, that is all.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
My gripe is that there seems to be an influx of really poor posts and the tabloidisation (new word
) of ATS.

It's only a new word because you misspelled the original name, congradulations on your creation of a new word

tabloidization
Main Entry: tabloidization
Part of Speech: n
Definition: communication that is condensed and sensationalized, as characteristic of tabloid journalism

congradulations on your new word, please feel free to pat yourself on the back,
ET

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Apologies, I did not mean to come across as magniloquent... it was an attempt to fire-proof the obvious "If you don't like it then take a hike" comments, which are incredibly common if someone dares to suggest something is up with ATS.

I'm unclear as to your meaning of positive recalcitrance, if you'd care to elaborate - as to inane rantings, take a mooch through skunkworks, I'm sure you'll find more inane. It seems odd for you to attack and denigrate the style of my writing as opposed to what I'm saying - that ATS is becoming increasingly tabloid and I dislike it.

As I said, I understand ATS is a business and it needs to be run as such (no I do not own a website, not do I wish to), but allegedly this site is for discussion and I want to voice my concerns over the direction it's going in.
Honestly, what is your opinion of the aesthetic presentation of the Conspiracy Chicks, even of the name - is the name Conspiracy Chicks respectful of women? You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can bitch-slap me down and I'm fine with that, if I'm wrong then so be it - there's something about this place that's not sitting right with me though and I'm voicing it.

Good luck with the debate competition, do you get to sit on ownerships lap and get patted on the head if you win?

If you want to debate me smashing, you seem more linguistically adept than myself, don't think I'll win but I'll try my best and say what's in my head and heart as I have always done here (for good or ill). I hope you've the altruistic cognizance to appreciate this.

New word? English or American spell check?

My bad.
edit on 7/10/1010 by jokei because: Additional response.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
But I don't think that's compatible with the initial premise of the site. This is a conspiracy website, not a social networking site.

I think you mean Was

It's most certainly heading in the direction of a social networking site, ATS-Book was talked about before, a conspiracy version of facebook.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

congradulations on your creation of a new word

Pot calling kettle, or intentionally ironic?

what morons give each other when they graduate community college. those who earn real degrees give each other congratulations. Billy Bob: Hey Bubba, congratulations! You did it! Bubba: ... Billy Bob: I'mean congradulations on gettin yer degree! Bubba: Aw shucks, was nuthin. Takin them classes was easy. Them testes was the worstest, though. ignorant misspell graduate congratulations moron

www.urbandictionary.com...

edit on 10/7/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join