It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

body odor complaint by my employer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
i have been hauled into the boss's office after somebody complained i had body odor.

i work in a office which has a temperature at least 18 degrees and goes up to 25 during the day.

i bath and wash everyday.

i feel very depressed now and avoid people and even after this i got another got another complaint about odor again.

i don't know what to do and feel very depressed and apprehensive about going to work every day and terrified somebody walking will complain again.

i am at least 12 to 18 foot from the nearest person as i moved desks.

the boss refused to name the complainer.

i am terrified i will lose my job and i have a mortgage and family.

going to work is becoming a ordeal...a kind of torture waiting for the next complaint.

it is so embarrassing.i can hardly sleep nowadays and terrified of going near anyone at work and don't socialize at all.

i have now started bathing with household bleach and put so much anti antiperspirant on that i use a whole can in 3 days... and the wife says she can't come near me because of the smell of bleach and antiperspirant.

i am also afraid i might get cancer from the bleach and antiperspirants and feel very depressed and lonely.

edit on 1-10-2010 by nobodysavedme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
See your doctor. It might be a symptom of something very wrong.

Personally, I can smell those with diabetes and it's kind of disgustingly sweet and not in a good way.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

Try some stronger deodorant or some cologne perhaps?

You didn't make enemies with anyone did you? They could be making complaints just to get to you.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Yeah you should see your doctor first and switch soaps, also try using organic materials like cotton, silk and avoid synthetics like polyester.

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Please please please don't bath in bleach, it is not good for you!

Here is a page that explains some of the causes and solutions to your problem which can range from applying Driclor which you can get from the chemist to having an operation to stop excessive sweating.. Go and see your dodctor it's nothing to be ashamed off

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Put one of these around your neck. Maybe it will make them feel stupid for giving you grief and solve the BO problem.

edit on 1-10-2010 by CaptSplatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Okay, I guess I'll be the first to ask.
But do you have body odor? If not, then I believe this may be a form of harassment. I would talk to your HR department about it.
If you DO have body odor, then there are obviously steps that you can take to correct the issue. I'm not sure taking a bath with bleach is the correct way to deal with this problem nor is using an entire can of deodorant in addition to the above. Go to your doctor and get their advice.

CX

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about this, but try not to get too down about it.....chances are they, or you, are making it sound worse than it actualy is. Like you say, you bath daily so i very much doubt it can be as bad as they say.

Is there anyone outside of work you can ask who will be deadly honest with you? Maybe a partner, then again they might not want to hurt your feelings, maybe a friend? You've shared this with thousands of members so hopefully you can ask someone closer to you?

I heard someone once suggest dabbing bicarb of soda on the armpits instead of deodorant, i know that is great for getting rid of odours.

Take a look online for tips, but if someone close to you confirms this is a slight problem, then maybe a doctor can suggest something.

I can't understand why this is a problem if you bath every day.....chances are it's probably someone else.

Maybe even the boss.

Good luck.

Oh, if it's hot where you work, are you at a desk or similar where you can have a little fan going?

CX.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Please please please don't bath in bleach, it is not good for you!

Here is a page that explains some of the causes and solutions to your problem which can range from applying Driclor which you can get from the chemist to having an operation to stop excessive sweating.. Go and see your dodctor it's nothing to be ashamed off

The doctors says from the blood tests i am fine and healthy.

i did not tell him about the bleach.

He also said everyone smells which is why can dogs smell you but some people are more sensitive to some smells.

i feel depressed and introverted.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

A bad body odor can also be caused by hormonal fluctuations such as those seen in children who are undergoing puberty, women who are experiencing menopause, or persons experiencing extreme mental or physical stress. Certain persons may also be genetically predisposed to developing a strong body odor. These are all relatively "normal" causes of body odor.

More serious are the various disease states that can cause the development of a bad body odor. One of the most common medications that can cause a body odor is diabetes. This is particularly true when a person's blood sugars are poorly controlled and they develop a condition called ketoacidosis. This condition not only gives the breath a fruity smell but can also cause a distinctive body odor. This condition is considered to be a medical emergency and should be treated right away.

Bad body odor can also be a sign of serious liver or kidney disease where the body is incapable to processing and removing certain toxins due to the diseased organ. These conditions can be ruled out by blood tests which measure kidney and liver function.

Occasionally, an overactive thyroid can cause a problem with body odor due to the tendency of the patient to sweat excessively due to the hyper functioning thyroid gland. This is another condition that can be ruled out from physical examination and blood studies.

www.associatedcontent.com...]

Do you think your work is effecting you physically , and possibly mentally?

You might need some time off.

Make sure you see a doctor as soon as possible. It can be taken care of.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Oozii because: Fix text.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I'm sorry to hear about your problem and how you feel so depressed from it. I'm not sure bathing in bleach is a good idea though.

www.bukisa.com...

I found that link for you.

Perhaps you should see your doctor as well. It could be a sign of something serious.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

You could get a second opinion from a different doctor, doctors sometimes miss things or get things wrong or simply just don't know about a certain area and so misdiagnose things.

Whether your blood test is fine or not it is a problem for you and the doctor shouldn't just dismiss it

link   

Well, I am unaware of your personal situation, but I can attest to this:
I went on a 'organic' milk binge for a few months and noticed something odd.
My clothes would have a ferocious odor after wearing them at work...(mind you, I sweat alot at work)
Even after washing them continuously, I could never get the smell out.
Old gym clothes and sweat. That's what it reminded me of.

Then I smelled my milk carton.
It smelled the same! (actually worse, more like horse manure)

So, I switched back to regular non-organic milk and PRESTO.
Back to smellin' good! (well, to me, at least)

My summary is this.
Maybe it's the food you are eating and the combination of hormones/chemicals in your body.
Everyone is different and has a different smell.
That's why the same perfume will smell slightly differently on a variety of women.

Either way, good luck and don't over-use the bleach.
That will do more harm than good.
You are killing the micro-organisms that live on your skin with it.
The one's that help you.

link   

edit on 1-10-2010 by havok because: I had a double post....

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this and that it's bringing you down!

Others have given you some good ideas already, and like another poster, I'm also wondering if it's something someone is making up. Has the boss him/her self noticed anything when you've been called in about it? If not, then the boss will know it's being made up. If so, then I second the idea of getting a checkup to rule out any health factors. A few other thoughts: if it's really warm and sweaty in the office, maybe it's in general the b.o. from everyone. Could something be done to keep things cooler, or maybe get a fan for your area so at least you're comfortably cool?

As far as staying clean-smelling, I would recommend avoiding the bleach. It's harsh, and you're right to be worried about the health risks with the chemicals. Not to mention, you don't want the stinging scent of bleach to keep your wife or others away. The best course is freshen up with your deodorant as needed, and maybe even freshen up at each restroom use to see if that helps, investigate the source (whether physical or something else in the environment) and keep an odor neutralizing air freshener on your desk.

I wonder, too, if there's a good way to let it be known that if someone has an issue to do with you, they should bring it up with you first to address it because this would be more respectful and effective, rather than going behind your back to make a complaint.

Just a few thoughts that I hope will help.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Ariel because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

This is a wind up...surely.

You wash with bleach?! Are you insane?

If they thought you stunk before, stinking of a bleachy-antiperspirant isn't going to help.

Terrified to go to work or come into contact with people because they might think you stink?

You're not all there, are you...seriously?

Yeah, go see a doctor, but not for your BO. I think we're on the same page yeah?

IF you're not a wind up, hoaxing, attention seeker (do you self harm by any chance?), Don't bother using caustic chemicals to wash in, you know that is stepping into loony territory as well as i do, get a solid crystal stick of pure ALUM crystal. Works for 24 - 36 hours, before your microbes multiply enough to eat your sweat and body oil enough to fart out BO.

Because in case you didn't know it, YOU don't stink of BO..none of us do. The characteristic 'BO' smell (reminds me of pungent beef stew actually, and not in a good way) is not from your body. It's is the smell of the by products of tiny critters that eat the sweat, oils, dead skin cells and all that good stuff, from under your arms.

It's basically their tiny, weeny farts, causing the smell. (true) The pure ALUM crystal, when dipped in water and rubbed into your armpits, kill the buggers, and stop them reproducing for a day to a day and a half. Wash under your arms with pure soap, no perfumes or other rubbish, and reapply...it WORKS. It won't stop you sweating, but it WILL stop your little microbes, from making you smell of BO.

If that doesn't work, leave your job, go to work in the great outdoors, or grow up and tell your co-workers they are a bunch of sad tarts who should get a life, and stop worrying about trivial crap that happens to everyone at some time or other.

You could also remind them, that if they really need or want to complain about something, perhaps complaining about the soldiers being sent to kill and die in illegal and immoral wars, might be a better use of there petty moaning time...and that a dab of perfume or after shave on their septum (above the top lip, and below their nose) will work wonders for masking the smell, if they can bear to be deprived of their petty chance to act like children and whine about you, that is.

There's far bigger stuff to worry about mate. There are people in this world, who not only wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire, but some would actually find watching you burn quite amusing, and bring a can of petrol along in case you started to go out..

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

That was my first question as well. If you do not have body odor (ask friends and family if they've noticed anything new) then I'd say it is a spiteful vindictive person within your office. Do not harm yourself dealing with their problem.
I'd suggest the doctor as well. If its not a problem he'll verify that for you and if it IS a problem then you are under medical care for an issue about which you have little control. Either way your job is assured.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Don't try to disguise any BO with products, you'll only make it worse. Try cutting down on washing powder and fabric conditioner on clothes too, and all the deodorants. My son gets a bit paranoid about BO and lathers sprays on himself. The result is we're all choking on the various musks and undertones that waft around the house. My mother in law is a clean freak and overdoes smellies too. She absolutely stinks of chemicals. It's pungent.
Botox injections are supposed to help with sweaty pits, feet too I think. Pick a deodorant you like in the meantime. I love Vaseline Active Fresh, smells like you just came out of the bath.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It is worth googling, and asking your doctor about, TRIMETHYLAMINURIA, or "fish odour syndrome".
I understand that this is an enzyme deficiency, resulting (to cut a long story short) in some foods being incompletely digested. That's the source of the odour, which means that normal external washing has little effect.
The last I heard, doctors had not developed a proper cure. But they can prescribe an antibiotic like Oxytetracycline to ameliorate the effects. An anti-microbrial skin cleanser, of the kind they use for washing hands in hospitals, can also help.
Hang in there. If it's not your fault, you have nothing whatever to be ashamed of.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Dont bleach yourself......... Just get you some tide wash all your clothes and some oldspice deodorant and some oldspice body spray use both and you should be cool, mabey wash your hair or something and you will go in smelling fresh. Hopefully you know how to clean yourself well and if not then make sure you try a bath instead of shower and see if that helps. If it carries on you may have a health issue within your skin that may need looked at. good luck

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join