It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada wants US war resisters to stay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

For many, particularly the families mourning the more than 100,000 documented Iraqi civilian deaths caused by this unnecessary war, it is not possible simply to declare the lies, violence and misery resolved.

www.guardian.co.uk...

64% of Canada wants US war resisters to stay in Canada.

Innocent people sent to prison for absolutely no reason, but for resisting in taking part to invade, occupy and kill people who they don't even know, and who never posed any threat, and still don't pose any thread.

These people are the true heroes of the Iraq war

Thoughts
oz

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I support Canada being a sanctuary for those who don't wish to serve in a meaningless war. I hope we maintain that status. Great find.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I support Canada offering a place for these folks as well.

I do want to point out that if these folks did not wish to serve in a war, they should have not signed up for the military in the first place.

Anyone who signs up nowadays should very well understand that the chances of being called up are higher than they've ever been. It's a risk they take when they sign up.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I also welcome all war resisters.
It's ridiculous to raise people to not hurt anyone, and then put them in jail for refusing to kill. The number of Canadians welcoming resisters would probably be higher than 64% if more people had taken part in however they found out that percentage.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

You are aware our military is all volunteer? Even after a person joins they can still quit and there are ways for them to get out without breaking the law?

It's important that the real facts be presented as this is a board with people from all over. People who don't live here might not realize there is no reason for anyone to go to Canada unless its to hide out because they committed a crime. With a 100% volunteer military and easy ways to get out if you made a mistake, anyone claiming they had to go to Canada is a liar and a fraud. If Canada want's those people, who cares?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I also welcome all war resisters.
It's ridiculous to raise people to not hurt anyone, and then put them in jail for refusing to kill. The number of Canadians welcoming resisters would probably be higher than 64% if more people had taken part in however they found out that percentage.

They do not put people in jail for refusing to kill. Why do you folks make this stuff up. There are enough things wrong here you don't have to lie about to justify inventing stuff.

The military is ALL volunteer and even after joining ANYONE can get out if they want to without breaking any laws or going to jail. Anyone saying otherwise IS a liar.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
People who don't live here might not realize there is no reason for anyone to go to Canada unless its to hide out because they committed a crime.

Ummm... Canada is not a good place to hide if you're wanted for a crime in America. We've 1/10 your population and living off the land when the winter snows come howling isn't exactly a life-sustaining event unless you look to others for help.

With a 100% volunteer military and easy ways to get out if you made a mistake, anyone claiming they had to go to Canada is a liar and a fraud. If Canada want's those people, who cares?

I suppose all the Viet Nam War deserters I've met are frauds and liars then (yes, I'm that old).

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

They do not put people in jail for refusing to kill. Why do you folks make this stuff up. There are enough things wrong here you don't have to lie about to justify inventing stuff.

The military is ALL volunteer and even after joining ANYONE can get out if they want to without breaking any laws or going to jail. Anyone saying otherwise IS a liar.

A few years back, about 5 years, I think, there was a few young men fighting for the right to stay in Canada, instead of being forced back to fight in Iraq. The news media did not ever tell us that there was any other reason that they were here, other than avoidance of Iraq, so I had assumed that once you are enlisted, that you had to finish a certain amount of years. A "tour of duty" I think it was called.

If this has changed, then my mistake.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Even after a person joins they can still quit and there are ways for them to get out without breaking the law?

still get out without breaking the law??? Would you be referring to those thousands of military suicides? Don't you think if it was as easy as you say, those military personnel would have left rather than commit suicide???

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I`d prefer the freeloaders stay there as well. They joined the military by choice. So if they want out due to they don`t approve of the way things look to them I think they should be let out after they pay back all their pay and training of course..

It`s like oh I`ll get a job in the military till we go to war then I`ll just decide I don`t want to do what I swore an oath to do. Freeloading deserters in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Sorry mate, they swore to protect the country from external and internal threats, they should have went to war against Bush and Cheney, not against Iraq. Bush and Cheney posed a greater threat to US national security than Iraq.

They are heroes for the future generation

edit on 30-9-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

This is not true they swore an oath to follow the Presidents decisions in what the President feels is right not the individuals of the USA.

Unless the oath has been changed since I took it. They were not drafted but joined freely.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

You forgot about the constitution, if the president feels killing a man for no reason is right, doesn't make it right.

second line

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Connman

Sorry mate, they swore to protect the country from external and internal threats, they should have went to war against Bush and Cheney, not against Iraq. Bush and Cheney posed a greater threat to US national security than Iraq.

They are heroes for the future generation

edit on 30-9-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ionsoul

Being Canadian I do know of some objectors from as far back as Vietnam.
A Canadian would fight for his country no questions asked . If a conscientious objector came here with good reason he would find that we do not support any conflict unless for defense of the country. Barring our UN commitment that weighs heavily on us.
The commitment to the influx of refugees has rules and they must be followed.
Peace to you all!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
your post states " Canada wants US resisters to stay," well, as quoted by another poster only 64 % do, so what about the other 36%, are we not considered a part of Canada because we don't. I'm sure the old saying "war is hell" was spoused by all veterans, most people believe that saying, so if you have any doubts, even 1% that you cannot do your duty as a soldier, you should refrain from joining in the first place. There is a reason why they are called deserters, I don't think I would want to go to war with anyone that would leave a soldier behind, which is what they have done, left their own commrades in arms. Not only have they deserted the war in which they took an oath to serve, they have also deserted their own country to which they took an oath to serve. Personally as a Canadian I would not wish to share my country with such cowards, other than that all Americans are welcome. Funny isn't it how there aren't any Canadian deserters, bless their hearts. HOLD FAST, STAND FIRM, SOLDIER ON.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

They can get out if they want to at any time. There are multiple ways, some honorable, others not.

I think we both misinterpreted this. This may be about the left over Vietnam Draft Dodgers. I just read that there may be tens of thousands of them still in Canada.

Problem is that they were granted unconditional amnesty in 1977 by Carter. If that's the case this may be not a very interesting story anyway. They could have come home if they wanted unless they were hiding from Felony Warrants as some of the fake Draft Dodgers were. If they did not return, it means they from that time forward were just knowing illegal aliens. Many of the originals were really there hiding from drug charges. Some, like the Weather Underground were hiding from more serious crimes like planting bombs. The Weather Underground was a fake part of the Peace Movement, who were just Anarchists who latched on to a convenient cause.

I'm also old enough to remember and even participated in peaceful assembly and protest. Most of us had nothing to do with the fake protesters like the Weather Underground. They screwed it up for everyone who was being honest and just wanted an end to war. We were young, dumb and naive.

You might know about Ayers who got off on a legal technicality and now brainwashes young minds. He was a bad man and one of the fake protesters I mentioned. He did not care about the draft. He was just into violent acts of rebellion and any cause would do. Most of us could not get away from his ilk fast enough. To get the true history you have to talk to those of us who were there in the middle of it. The vast majority of us chose to use peaceful, lawful means. Those other Sociopaths would have found another excuse if Vietnam were not convenient.

If Canada wants to let those who stayed as illegal aliens stay I don't really care, but they need to know who they are defending. If it's the AWOL crowd from now, they are fakers and phonies, so let them have them also. The Canadians should know the whole truth before they decide. Since the amnesty, only cowards and criminals remained. ...and perhaps a drug dealer / farmer or three

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
reply to post by oozyism

This is not true they swore an oath to follow the Presidents decisions in what the President feels is right not the individuals of the USA.

Unless the oath has been changed since I took it. They were not drafted but joined freely.

You are the worst kind of citizen soldier. You did not even READ your oath, much less consider the implications of it. Anyone who says that it is the military's duty to "do what the president says", whether they served or not, are certainly not a patriot nor someone I would prefer to call my countryman.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Well when your the nation that invents peace keeping, you kind of have to be to refuge for those who don't wish to partake in somebody's elses war.

Congrats to my fellow Canucks and our government who are doing the right thing about SOMETHING at least.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

See my post just above this one. I think we were on two different topics.

I put in my time at Sit-ins and what not. I'm old enough. I however walked into the office to register for the draft with head held high. I was opposed to the War, not my country. You can't change things here by running away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join