It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge a monumental attraction since prehistory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Indeed.... It's very interesting.
I wonder what else could be around stonehenge, particularly around the older site near the car-park.

I bet the site is littered with amazing artifacts, some of which would change the way we see the ancient world.

If you dig up anything about the tin-routes, let me know mate.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Nventual

Oh sure, there's no reason they couldn't have just visited them for pleasure/interest,
But 3500 years ago is quite a long time ago.... how would Stonehenge have adverstised?

I just find it fascinating that people would come from all over Europe to see this stone circle.

I would imagine that Stonehenge looked much different 3500 years ago, some have been damaged, moved and vandalized by who knows who and of course natural erosion over time, since they cannot carbon date rock we have no idea how old they really are.

Nice find, S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Apparently there was an established lucrative tin trade between Britain and Phoenicia around 1500 BC.
en.wikipedia.org...
Tin is a component of the alloy Bronze.

This was around the time the boy of Mediterranean origin whose body was found is thought to have died.
The amber necklace he wore was from The Baltic Sea region.
Amber was much valued on The Mediterranean and the Amber Road was an established trade route well before the rise of Rome and it's empire.
en.wikipedia.org...:Rota_do_%C3%A2mbar.jpg
en.wikipedia.org...

Other bodies from the Stonehenge area have been identified as being from around Switzerland.

It seems there was quite an established and complex system of lucrative trade and migration going on from places as far apart as the Eastern Mediterranian, Central and Northen Europe and Britain.
That proof of this can be found around the ancient monument of Stonehenge just adds to the mystique of it all.

This may or may not be common knowledge but it certainly suggests a more sophisticated and wordly wise civilisation than I have previously been led to believe was in existence around that time.

What else don't we know or aren't told?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

So they were more intelligent than the population of earth at present? Is that not a surprise!

Go figure. Oh I wouldhave loved to live in those days, no nukes, no advanced weapons or anything. Just hard work, family.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Bet they had some great parties too, as long as one wasn't the 'main event'.....the ritual sacrifice!

Seriously, again I agree....I sometimes think I was born 2 or 3 milleniums or so too late!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Parties are good even Ancient Stonehange parties, but it apply to whom your home with at the end of the day freeborn lol.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Another fantastic archaeological find.
This goes some way to confirm how highly regarded these stone monoliths were.

It's still unknown exactly why people visited these stone, many theories have been put forward from religious/spiritual to paranormal theories.

I think this find is fantastic... it just shows how far people were willing to travel to see these majestic stones.

Why they did remains a mystery.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

One of the thing to remember is that we know almost nothing about the megalithic peoples except for that they built lots of things out of stone.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the celts who moved in later referred to these people as gods, so it makes sense that there would begin a ritualistic enshrinement of these sites even if the post-megalithici peoples didn't have a clue why.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Awesome, thanks for the links mate.
And yes... It's funny how most assume that people weren't travellers and didn't have much going on thousands of years ago.

And the person who said the lad may have been a slave, why would someone bury him with expensive amber?

I think there is probably much we're not being told about our ancient history mate, people don't like to have to rewrite the history books and all that.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

A lot of reputations in Academia could be ruined if there is a drastic re-write of history.

And along with that would go the loss of research grants etc.

An example of how Academia controls archeology and it's findings is how Dr Zahi Hawass runs the show in Egypt.
Any deviation from the accepted timelines and beliefs are discouraged and at times openly ridiculed.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Exactly man... Hawass is so annoying.... but he's just a yes man and a plant by TPTB.
I would imagine there are many Dr. Hawass's around... which is a shame for the truth.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join