It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Momentary excitement!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is not a commercial or anything, just thought I would share.

A couple of years ago, mainly as a gag, I bought an EMM-2 UFO Detector from Abate Electronics. Not expecting much I put a battery in it and put it on the windowsill in my office. Several months after I installed it it went off. I was in the other room and wasn't even sure what it was at first. When I figured it out I went outside on the deck and looked around. It was a cloudy day and I didn't see anything. The only thing unusual was I could hear what sounded like a 4 engine piston airplane up in the clouds. No passenger lines still fly them but I think there are few still fly freight. We're not near any major airports so heavy air traffic is unusual. The closest major airport is Buffalo some 60 miles away.

Yesterday the thing went off again. This time I retrieved it and carried it out on the deck with me. As I was walking through the house the timid faint alert it was sounding became a full fledged alarm that only lasted a moment. By the time I reached the deck it was fading back into silence. Again I looked around for a few minutes and saw nothing and this time heard nothing. I carried the detector back through the house and it remained silent.

Something set it off and I have no idea what. We live several miles outside of a very small town in western New York on 6 acres. Our nearest neighbor is a couple of hundred yards away.

My possibilities so far are:

Solar activity acting on the atmosphere

Geologic activity (but no tremors were felt)

The unit's sensitivity may vary over time.

There really was a UFO nearby and I just didn't see it.

Anyway, it goes off so seldom that it's an exciting event. I just wish I knew what sets it off.

Any one else have experience with these?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2
Several months after I installed it it went off.

That means Low Battery. It's Time to change the battery.

My fire alarms do the same thing

-ET

edit on 27-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

What does a UFO detector detect.
Exactly?

And why on Earth did you buy one?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

That's a possibility except the battery is supposed to last 1-2 years and it was only 3 months old or so. Last January I put a new lithium 9-volt battery in it so I could up the sensitivity a little without setting it off. It's possible the lithium doesn't last as long except the unit appears to be operating normally. I carry a magnetic money clip instead of a wallet and if I pass the money clip over the top of the detector an inch or so away it sets it off.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by wasco2

Exactly?

According to the ad copy it's supposed to detect changes in the earth's magnetic field.

Like I said, I mainly bought it as a gag. My wife and her family think my interest in UFOs is a little odd for a college educated member of Mensa. I wanted to see the looks after I told them what it was when they asked. When we've had them over I make sure to carry it around with me and put it on the table near me when I sit saying, "Ya never know when a UFO is gonna show up".

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Since your magnet sets it off I'd guess it detects magnetic or electromagnetic anomalies. Which can be...well pretty much anything that is electrical or magnetic =P It reminds me of this silly app I downloaded on my droid that is supposed to detect the same thing, but it's for finding ghosts....don't judge it was free.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

Oh.

Well the Earth's magnetic field sort of changes all the time, not to mention things like power lines and stuff which create local variations.

But you never know...

Can you get your money back?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Can you get your money back?

They also make Ghost detectors for under $170.00, get yours Now before supplies run out!!!!
www.abateelectronics.com...

Here is the detection device in question:

Sensitivity Adjust Control
Internal Flux Valve Sensor
1 Year or More Battery Life
Use in Home or Office
Pocket Sized (4 1/2 high x 2 1/2 wide x 1 deep)

Multi-Mode Detection System
Internal Flux Coil Sensor
Micro-Power Technology
Use for Field Trips
25 to 200 mile sensitivity

Multi-mode detection is achieved with two types of sensing systems. Each system is designed to give maximum detection to the various types of propulsion systems used by alien space craft. This electronic detector responds to Pulsed Mode, Static Mode, Dynamic Mode, Alternating Mode, and any combination of the these Modes.

The sensitivity of this U.F.O. Detector is also adjustable so that the user can set the Detector for the best possible location conditions. ( In some areas the static and dynamic fields could possibly give a false indication if set too high.) By adjusting the sensitivity to the capture threshold at each new location, the best results can be achieved. The detection system is so sensitive that it will trigger when near active TVs, microwaves, power tools, computers, monitors, etc. A simple way of determining the functionality of the detector is to place it in the vicinity of one of these items.

The electronic circuits use micro-power integrated circuits to maximize battery life. The unit does not need a power on/off switch, nor does it need an AC adapter, since the detector can operate one or more years continuously using a low cost 9 volt battery.

The detector will be in the capture mode when the Green Light on the front panel LIGHTS. At the same time Capture Delay, red and yellow lights on the front panel will Blink, and U.F.O. Alert, red light on the top of the detector will Blink. The detector will also sound a Beeping Signal.

It will be out of the capture mode when the Front Panel Green Light goes OFF. The beeper and other lights will continue to beep and blink for about 30 seconds after the Green Light goes OFF.

This UFO Detector is able to sense when there is a major change in the earth's magnetic force fields caused by any UFO phenomena. When a disturbance of the type emanating from a probable UFO, it will flash its lights and emit a beeping alarm. Depending on sensitivity setting, this detector is able to sense the field disturbance within a 25 to 200 mile radius of the object. At max sensitivity, the range is the greatest. When carried in a shirt pocket, a red led is viewable through the top end of the case.

more On UFO Detectors:
www.angelfire.com...

I can understand the OP bought it for a gag or some kind of mantle piece souvenir, but the moment you pick the thing up when it goes off and start running outside, it is no longer a gag or souvinir, it just became a UFO detector in the mind of the one running outside with it and looking up at the skies.

But honestly, I might be willing to put more faith in a pocket size battery operated ufo detector than msm

good luck quantifying this company and the hardware they pander, who knows....

-ET

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

Wasco2.....

You should Google "UFO Detector Detector" & see what you get.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I can understand the OP bought it for a gag or some kind of mantle piece souvenir, but the moment you pick the thing up when it goes off and start running outside, it is no longer a gag or souvinir, it just became a UFO detector in the mind of the one running outside with it and looking up at the skies.

-ET

Hey! Ya never know! I'd hate to be sitting here feeling smug after it went off and have one of the kids friends come in and say, "Dude! I just saw a flying saucer over your house!" Besides, I wasn't doing anything more important than watching TV anyway. I really am curious to know what is setting it off but also realize I may never know. I'm pretty sure the chance of an actual UFO setting it off is microscopically small.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I bought one of these:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/619619f8dab4.png[/atsimg]
Works brilliantly.

edit on 27/9/10 by Chadwickus because: (reason classified)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
[redacted]

Seems this whole thread ought to be in skunkworks

edit on 27-9-2010 by zorgon because: because Phage told me too

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Here.....

Try it on this.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a719d27cd317.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Wasco2, I hate to be the cynic but I must say, I've been away from this site for a bit (long time lurker, more recent member, current stranger etc etc) and one thing I have noticed is that no matter what you post, unless you have dates, times, video footage (authenticated) along with signed affidavits from 4 doctors and 3 judges, B.S. will be called.

Why? Let's take a look at the gunners.

I figure they are either:

A) Professional debunkers (I doubt it)

B) People who do not believe the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis is the answer to the U.F.O. phenomenon (so why even bother?)

C) People who think that there may actually be some truth to the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis and are intent on weeding out any trace of B.S. so that the subject gets the attention it deserves.

I suspect the latter. A.T.S. has become so saturated with B.S. (and other T.L.A.s) that not a grain of truth will remain in solution without some serious evidence.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
C) People who think that there may actually be some truth to the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis and are intent on weeding out any trace of B.S. so that the subject gets the attention it deserves.

I suspect the latter. A.T.S. has become so saturated with B.S. (and other T.L.A.s) that not a grain of truth will remain in solution without some serious evidence.

I mainly fall into Cat C. In fact if it were not for my personal sighting that I still can't explain I would probably be a full fledged debunker. Many who know me and don't know of my personal sighting are convinced I'm already a full fledged debunker.

I bought the UFO Detector for fun and wrote my post, mainly, for fun. Trying to be funny is always a risk with this impersonal medium anyway so I may just have to stop trying. Like someone pointed out, the earth's magnetic field is in a constant state of flux and it's entirely possible local conditions could cause it to change enough to exceed the device's threshold. The four engine plane overhead the first time it went off was probably just an intriguing coincidence.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Exactly?

You got all those stars for this post? Unbelievable

Okay Wasco says he posted this for fun... and bought it for fun... yet this thread is still not in skunkworks. You all are making fun of it... and yet you claim that people need to look for more scientific methods of looking at the UFO problem.

Well since UFO's have LONG been associated with electromagnetic effects like stalling car motors, throwing of compasses etc, why on Earth would you just assume that no one could actually make a detector that could detect the electromagnetic effects possible when a UFO is close by?Sure it may pick up OTHER effects as well, but IF there was a true UFO near by that had any kind of em field associated with it, would that not indeed be detectable?

I find the current trend by some people to just post drivel disturbing. Is it your intention to scare off new members? I would like to see some of the 'big guns' with more 'off topic' tabs then the new members who get stung for being upset and calling BS

I bet I could whip up such a detector in my garage fairly easily... Will it catch a UFO? No idea... but IF they are real, seems having a photo along side em reading would be a help

[/rant]

edit on 27-9-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

I bet I could whip up such a detector in my garage fairly easily... Will it catch a UFO? No idea... but IF they are real, seems having a photo along side em reading would be a help

[/rant]

edit on 27-9-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

A quick Google search will probably turn up plans. Heck, I think the guy who made mine sells his plans on the website for $10.00 or so. Since my soldering is not exactly proficient and I didn't want to take the time to hunt up the parts and construct it, I bought mine. Yeah it was a little expensive for a toy but on the other hand I've spent over $200.00 for a bottle of scotch and this ought to last longer.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
reply to post by Chadwickus

Here.....

Try it on this.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a719d27cd317.jpg[/atsimg]

Greetings:

The meter is fluctuating wildly... interesting.

That photograph reminds me of a promoter we knew back in the day in Hollywood. Seems like we were doing something like "You & Me - Because We Care" - a benefit for the American Red Cross African Relief Campaign. Or was it Rita and Bonnie at the Starlight? The Rainbow in Van Nuys? Or the Rainbow on Sunset? (How's Tony?)

Jose, it that you and where is Jackson Daniels? Tom Wright? Kitty Bruce? (and Maggie May, of course!) Sean Daniels? Michael Majic? Thom Mount? Killer Keller? (Did Mark ever get Bigfoot?) Why is there air?

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

My fire alarms do the same thing

-ET

edit on 27-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because:

Yup mine did the exact same thing about 3 months ago i neerly s**t the bed it was so loud,,,wierd thing is my gf didnt wake up lol infact took me 5 mins of shaking her to get her to wake up lol

new topics

top topics

join