It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aldous Huxley was correct not George Orwell

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The Mike Wallace Interview
Aldous Huxley
5/18/58

Aldous Huxley, social critic and author of Brave New World, talks to Wallace about threats to freedom in the United States, overpopulation, bureaucracy, propaganda, drugs, advertising, and television.

www.hrc.utexas.edu...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Funkydung

How right he was. Still almost no one knows anything about subliminals and the use of pharmaceuticals to alter perception. Everyone today is influenced in these ways but like he said "its a new type of dictatorship".
What I found funny is Mike Wallace saying "We live in a democracy, or at least we believe we live in a democracy". This interview was way ahead of its time.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
If you were living in China right now you would be saying that George Orwell is correct it's all a matter of perspective. There are many kinds of tyranny all around the world, we just happen to live in Huxleys type here in the West.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91

How right he was. Still almost no one knows anything about subliminals and the use of pharmaceuticals to alter perception. Everyone today is influenced in these ways but like he said "its a new type of dictatorship".
What I found funny is Mike Wallace saying "We live in a democracy, or at least we believe we live in a democracy". This interview was way ahead of its time.

all this really has me worried....just thinking of what the future is going to be like....im not talking about 100 years from now im talking more like next year or a few years from now. i mean should we be be getting out of this place? just like the jews should have left when they had the chance...or is there even a chance. is there anywhere to go? what if things start to happen just as they happened with the jews.....there would be no escape no place to go....hopefully it doesnt get that bad but it is clear that tptb are experimenting with our minds by way of pharmaceuticals and programming thru television..that to me is really scary. i have seen people really close to me for the last 10 years completely change due to the medication that the doctors give them. people are in la la land and if anything was to happen in this world the population would not know what to do and would be sitting ducks for anything conceivable. seems like everyone knows that we have lost our humanity....everybody talks about 24/7 but nobody has any answers. i think tptb have got us. there is no way humanly possible for us to rid ourselves of these psychopaths.....this is why i have faith in a creator and hope that the story is true that they will show up and save us from the grasp of darkness. this is my opinion and its not a religious one. it seems like it will be the only escape for us. this is the only answer i can see.

edit on 29-9-2010 by Funkydung because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I also believe in a creator, but I think this is our game. I think that eventually a black swan event will upset all of our previous conclusions or at least shake things up enough to reset the game. But that's just my two cents.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
reply to post by the2ofusr1

This video need to go to front page.

+1 Please do, 2ofus! Chilling, but really excellent video. I'm not really comforted that what we are going through is repeating history, but it gives me a little hope.

I am a fan of neither Huxley nor Orwell (reread both c.2004 & God, it was a CHORE!!), but great discussion.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by epsilon69

If you were living in China right now you would be saying that George Orwell is correct it's all a matter of perspective. There are many kinds of tyranny all around the world, we just happen to live in Huxleys type here in the West.

Epsilon, you've hit the nail on it's head.

This may be the best post I've seen on ATS. Awesome.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Alaskan Man, thank you for posting this. Brilliant comic strip! So true. So tragic.

SeaWind

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nesta
Well the difference between Huxley and Orwell was that Huxley was in the know and Orwell was not. His brother Julian Huxley was a popular member of the British Eugenics Society after all.

Oh, but Orwell WAS in the know, as "1984" was based both on his experience working for the BBC and fighting alongside the Soviet communists in the Civil War in Spain. He got one of his best friends Andres Nin, a communist revolutionary general of the POUM, falling in the hands of the pro-Soviet troops in Spain, and died under their torture, which was not unlike the one inflicted to Winston by the Party at the end of the novel.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Like others have said, it's a bit of both. Which is quite depressing really.

Huxley once said...

"There will be in the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it."

Which immediately reminds me of this...

LiveForever8, you just posted an excerpt from one of my favorite movies -- "My Dinner with Andre." I wore out my ancient VHS tape of it and just got the DVD (recently released). It covers so much that is important in life -- very relevant to what we are watching unfold in this world now.

From the viewpoint of TPTB, this is a world that is out-of-control and headed off a cliff. One of the biggest problems facing humankind is overpopulation and shrinking resources. They had to devise means to cull the masses down to a manageable size. It's a given that TPTB have a very low opinion of the average man & woman. We are nothing but slave labor & cannon fodder to them.

The majority are asleep -- robotized -- and have no idea of what is being done to them. As long as they get their bread & drugs....

The dumbing down of public education.

Our food, water & air are poisoned and the avenues of escape are being closed -- vitamins & nutraceuticals, accurate food labeling, home-grown foods -- all is the process of being illegalized, etc.

Routine drugging of people (even children) with powerful pharmaceuticals -- it's even in our public water system.

The legalization of mind-altering drugs.

Forced vaccination of medical personnel. You either get vaccinated or you don't work.

New birth control drugs that are being released to intentionally either kill or debilitate young women (or chemically sterilize them if they survive the drug).

Destroying the economies of First World countries -- equal poverty & powerlessness for all.

Endless wars. (Balkanizing Western Europe is part of this agenda of creating endless wars.)

Feeding the forces of totalitarian rule by supporting Radical Islam & the Far Left.

I could go on and on. The evidence is all around us. I am constantly amazed by those who refuse to see.

I am not optimistic about the future of this world for the masses. I think something really big is about to break for the US & the world -- and it's not good.

The much-maligned "Tea Party-ers" are aware in their collective gut that something is deeply wrong in the US. But I think their optimism about the November elections is naive.

We will see.

SeaWind

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Perhaps you are right, and I find you to be profoundly perceptive. None the less, your view is skewed by current perceptions of society, who is to say what may happen in the future. As I would agree with you that your perceptions are accurate and may continue with a negative trend of the appeasement of an entire media obsessed world. Not every part of this world is mediated, there are people even within the confinement of the media sphere who would obtain the self respect to adhere to their own principals. Really all any society has is principals and leaders, perhaps the problem could be arragned that leaders are few and far between. Perhaps material wealth was the beginning of the lack of leadership. I don't know, but at least they are things to ponder.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

this thread was freaking awesome, then I read your posts and it all got taken up a few notches
bloody fantastic post & thanks for the education lesson about orwell..
suddenly feel both alot less alone AND inspired to do 'something'.

-B.M

P.S)and big thanks to the OP too

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeaWind
From the viewpoint of TPTB, this is a world that is out-of-control and headed off a cliff. One of the biggest problems facing humankind is overpopulation and shrinking resources. They had to devise means to cull the masses down to a manageable size. It's a given that TPTB have a very low opinion of the average man & woman. We are nothing but slave labor & cannon fodder to them.

I think that's wrong. specifically overpopuation+shinking resources, I'll buy the over population thing on the condition nothing changes we could alternatively, manage our energy use better, using the devices that have existed for yonks but continuously confiscated, there's a bounty of alternatives to fossil fuels etc.....if depleting fossil fuels was a REAL concern of TPTB, well they've had the solutions for years.....why not use them? I say its because we're only meant to THINK that their agenda is the above, when really, its our perception of things being that way that's of interest to them....

just an idea...

-B.M

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I would say that they were both half right.

Newspeak today is in operation. Ok, Im trying to get to 20 posts so I can post some damn important information about Bill S 3081. It seems that ATS likes playing their little games.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There are three "dystopia" books I think everyone should read. 1984 and Brave New World are both excellent books, but Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is the one I most recommend people read. It's short and accessible, and hits many of the best points of Brave New World. Read all three, but if you're only going to read one, I say F451. Then read the Neil Postman book quoted in the OP. That reading list will set almost anyone down the path to becoming a societal misfit.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PocketRevolution

"Fahrenheit 451" is definitely mandatory reading. I'd also recommend "A Clockwork Orange" and "The Wanting Seed" by Anthony Burgess.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Humanity has been a state of serfdom much longer than what the official consensus believes. "Once a peasant, always a peasant."

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Both should be read, both are in effect. And both of them did not get this material out of thin air, or in a dream - they both had relations with people privy to "future plans".

Thank you! S+F

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by time91
The fact that 1984 and Brave New World are still allowed to be talked about, yet are talked about very little, indicates to me that Huxley was right.

What about "The Giver" future Dystopia book? With concepts like "sameness" and PC to the extreme in every which way....
edit on 14-7-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Maybe they were both right and they completed each other. One thing is for sure, both books are exellent studies for who want to understand the NWO.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join